helmet and ruksack for platypus

smiler

Reaction score
hi all, can you give me some advice on what is the best off road helmet to have and what is the best make and size to have for a ruck sack with a platypus. as i am doing the bmw off road course next year.
many thanks
nina:)

Helmet etc.

If you are buying an off road helmet just for the course then the best one you can afford that fits properly will be the one :thumb

Seriously there are too many variables here: head shape, which goggles you wear, budget, colour preference. Go to a good emporium that has a decent range and try a few on, and don't forget your goggles.

As for the platypus / camelbak - have you got the actual platypus already? If not there are loads of deals on the web for this kind of gear as it's low season for outdoorsy types :thumb

I suspect a Platypus is similar to a Camelback. If it is, I seriously doubt you will need it as they have regular breaks and go OTT on the free water bottles - honestly there was a stack about 6' tall when I went. One of the things they will explain to you is the need to take regular drinks, but you will soon pick up the nifty way to carry the plastic water bottles on the bike, and will have ample time to take regular drinks either while the instructors are explaining things or you're picking up the bike for the tenth time. :D

I know some will tell you that in the interest of safety you should buy the best helmet you can afford - but lets be realistic. Personally, I went for the crappiest old helmet I could find in my shed - and judging by the helmets the others were wearing, I think they had the same idea as me. :D Its your head - so you decide, but the truth is that most spills will probably be at very low speed (walking speed) or even stationary - in fact I don't think my helmet got knocked once, but I would wear good gloves though and hire a pair of brilliant off-road boots from the school.

Its a bit intimidating at first, but don't forget that you're all in the same boat, and the instructors are brilliant. Trust me, you'll be laughing for days. :thumb

hi all, can you give me some advice on what is the best off road helmet to have and what is the best make and size to have for a ruck sack with a platypus. as i am doing the bmw off road course next year.
many thanks
nina:)
Helmet... a good fit, is vital go for cheapo with proper standards sticker that you can find! Use safety glasses ( any safety equipment store have loads of types at little cost, rather than goggles as they steam up really quickly
Good idea to use hydration as a feed tube means you can drink easily and quickly without removal of helment when odd chance comes along!
Hi rucksacks may be cheap or expensive with or without water bottle!
Have you bought platypus yet? they can be bought like mine in its own carry bag, which had no storage for anything else...so i bought a cheap small "day" type bag from Blacks, which had a pocket in the back just right for the bladder and little holes to allow the feed tube to be routed through, important to get one with a clip on cover for the mouth piece as otherwise it gets covered in mud (for some reason!)
I would avoid expensive kit as it gets some stick off road and doesn't need to be hi tech really
enjoy enjoy enjoy!:thumb

http://gelert.com/products/Hydro-Vario_Pac_2_Litre.aspx

do have a look at this link, i've got alsort of ruck sacks for off roading and hill walking.

this is the best vaule for money you can buy...it's been used by me about 20 times off road and hours of normal road also...and is still in great shape and looks like years left in it.

i've aslo got one from Aldi... £8 cheap but does not stand up to lots of stress i give the other one....

what makes it vgood you can just carry the small bag or the two together or just the big one on it owen.. it's great value for money

Just bought a platypus/camelback-type rucksack from Lidl for £8.99. Tchibo and Aldi have had similar deals in the past. No problems with quality.

Second Taff's comments about water bottles and old helmet.

Tim

Stick the platypus in ya pocket!!:thumb
Personally i use a bumbag cos the weight is on the hips and not the back then....much more comfy.Also doesn't make the back hot and sweaty.:thumb

Take a look at the stuff in DECATHLON.

Stick the platypus in ya pocket!!:thumb
Personally i use a bumbag cos the weight is on the hips and not the back then....much more comfy.Also doesn't make the back hot and sweaty.:thumb

Take a look at the stuff in DECATHLON.

Sweaty Back Blue........:eek:

Back
Top Bottom