Fluella and Stelvio - Sept 06

Tractorpilot

Reaction score
Hi all - some links to videos you may enjoy - especially anyone thinking of an alpine pass trip. The video was taken on a trip in Sept 06 by 5 bikes: two R1150GS, one R1200GS, one 1200GSA (no they didn't break down) and a Varadero (but he is now getting a BMW). We did eight countries in eight days covering something round 2500 miles. These are some of the highlights. UKGSERs on the trip were Blues'n'Twos (Jon), TractorPilot (Neil), Tyronem (guess). Camera work Neil & Jon. Video processing and editing Neil

Up the Fluella pass from Davos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3v_cvHCvA4
Down the Fluella on the way to Livignio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCG3GgJG9sw
Up the Stelvio Pass from Bormio
(I will update this link when You Tube finish processing the file)
Down the Stelvio Pass on route for Cortina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BE9IMxR8Tk"

Enjoy
Neil:thumb

Happy days :bounce1 Last time I rode the Stelvio I was descending the route shown in your video clip in the torrential rain. Spectactular lightning strikes onto the mountain and enough rain to wash rocks onto the carriageway. 1/2 hour later bright sun again.

Early July 2005. I was playing in the Alps for a few days before heading to the BMW Biker meeting in Garmisch.

I passed through the area east of the Stelvio (Pfunds, Austria up to Lake Bodensee) again in September. There had been some serious flooding and landslips all over the area some weeks previously. The clear up resources being deployed were incredible.

Hi Nice Video of Stelvio
Have done this many times and watching your Vid has bought back a few memories I think half of Europe's bikers seem to turn up on this pass at some time during the summer. Last time I was there I was with a group of Austrian friends who were too tight to pay the toll to go to Livigno so we back tracked and went up the Umbrail pass which comes out at the big red building you passed on the way up just about 2 clicks from the top. I have only done Stelvio once from Merano end (from north to south) but much prefer going from Bormio to Resia I usually manage to take in the Gavia on the way to Stelvio which 10 years ago was not tar sealed and is a bit more of a challenge due to width of road. Did the Stelvio just after they had cleared the snow in 2nd week of June think it was in 96 there was water running across the canver of the road with black Ice in some bits this was when I discovered that my backside could grip the seat!! Might manage it next year as I am at the Dolomites to bag a few passes I have not done yet.

cheers Bob

...usually manage to take in the Gavia on the way to Stelvio which 10 years ago was not tar sealed and is a bit more of a challenge...
I rode the Gavia in September 1996 when it was gravel road between the hairpins on a brand new, just run-in, fully laden Honda ST1100 complete with my then wife on the back. That's when I worked out that my a*se could grip a bike seat :eek

That be me on the Graphitan 1150 with a bullet cam on my pannier. stuck on with gaffer tape :D

Good memories from watching again.

All to do again somewhere different in Sept eh Neil :thumb2

Jon :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom