Congrats Gunner

Jockser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got this info on email :

At the beginning of 2006, Irishman Philip Gunn purchased the first R 1200 GS HP2 Enduro in Ireland from Keary's Motorrad in Cork and entered his new machine in the UK Big Bike Challenge.

Following the first five rounds of the Championship Phil found himself leading the Multi-Cylinder class by enough points to ensure victory in the series with the Hafren Rally left to run in December. Phil came close to winning the multi-class in the 2005 Championship overall, winning the last three events, but he was piped by Surrey-based Ulsterman Pat Keenan on a KTM 950 who scored consistently, taking part in every round. It was at this stage, that Phil decided to upgrade to the HP2, which has proven to be highly capable in its first full Championship season, and it doubles up as his road bike when not being raced on the dirt. He is now looking forward to competing in the final round of this year's championship safe in the knowledge that win, lose or draw he will be presented with the UK Big Bike Challenge trophy for the Multi-Cylinder class.

For the uninitiated, trail bike rallies are competitive motorcycle events run on much the same lines as car rallies such as the old RAC rally. They are off road, using forestry commission or army land but occasionally take in some public roads as well so all bikes have to be road registered and legal. The events cover anything from 60 to 120 miles in a day, usually, but not always, made up of several 30-70 mile laps of a laid out course. The UK Big Bike Challenge was inaugurated in 2005 by big trailbike fan Andy Cadney, a stalwart of the trail bike rally scene on his 900cc V-twin Ducati-engined Cagiva 'Rogue Elefant'. Trail bike rallies started in the UK way back in 1994 when the Welsh Trail Riders' Association hosted the first Cambrian Rally in the forests around Llandovery. The late great John Deacon on a KTM 620 won that first event, and there were several other big singles and a few twins taking part, including an R1100GS press bike in the hands of MCN.

A great display of riding skill at the 2006 Cambrian Rally two Day event in October saw Phil Gunn and the HP2 Enduro finish sixth overall in the Trail Bike classification and first home in the Multi-Cylinder class ahead of Ian Barnard on an R 1150 GS in 20th overall who was followed in 22nd by Andy Cadney on the 900 Cagiva. Two HP2 Enduro's competed in the event and both bikes finished comfortably but in a poor outing for KTM the two 950 Super Enduro's entered failed to make the second day of this tough event. Best of Luck to Phil Gunn and the rest of the competitors in this month's Hafren Rally and a huge - Congratulations - to Gunner for showing us all what a HP2 Enduro can do in the hands of a skilled rider.

Well done Gunner :clap :bow :clap :beerjug:

Attachments

• CMSFullSize10384693.jpg
    CMSFullSize10384693.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 275
Well done Gunner. :thumb

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

A few pics of Gunner and the HP2 in action

9.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Ok lads the hand is now out

Thanks for the publicity, but at least I bought the helmet

and the book and dvd will be out shortly

long way around around around and around

Gunner

Top man,well done you:thumb

I think you need a heavier bike though,that one doesn't seem to spend much time on the ground!

Well done again:clap

Top man,well done you:thumb

I think you need a heavier bike though,that one doesn't seem to spend much time on the ground!

Well done again:clap
A bit frustrating that you make it look so easy,:eek: :D
Well done :thumb

Well done, Ireland you are rearin' them yet!!

Do tyres last you a good while?

Class photos!! Just awsome... I can't imagine getting airborne on a monster like the HP2. On dirt. In the wet.

Well done!

Dec

The Van !

Fado Fado maybe , but now a days she's all taxed Vrt'd never been so legal in me life
if only I could afford the next bike insurance policy
but i hear that BMW have their own insurance policy from jan 1

Gunner

Back
Top Bottom