Post-Christmas run 28-12-2006

Daithi

Reaction score

Right ! So the "competition" has begun :eek Which day will be the most fun.:D
Here's the details:

Starting Point
As Nud1e said, we meet at Five Alleys on the N7 on the Limerick side of Nenagh just
at the end of the Neagh by-pass. Ref for your GPS is IR 82473 76790.

The Route
First, some interesting detours over to base camp before the assent of "Mount Keeper".
Beer and Lap Dancers will be provided on top of keeper for anyone who makes it there
Then the heros will be guided around some of the most exciting roads, boreens and tracks
in the area. .

How's that sound?:cool: :D

30th sounds good Jockser, lookin forward to it.:D

Daithi:thumb

PS, No one will think you're "chicken" if you dont get to the top.:D

Time change.

All details in the first post still stand, except the start/meeting time, this has
been changed to the more civilised time of 11.00 to suit those traveling from
further afield.

The route will include both Keeper Hill and Slieve Felim, should be a very exciting
day.:D

would my lack of off road experience/tires rule me out on the 28th?

Off road experience id say would not be a problem,
we all just take it at our own pace, and believe me if
i can do it anybody can.

As for tyre most of the lads will be on
road tyre ie Padge, Daithi and wookie.
I hope to see you there, just in the middle
of putting me moto back together.

joe:thumb

Will be there. I am just back from a nice spin from south galway to clifden for lunch. great day for the bike. Three of us out, my gs12, 1150rt and kawacker gtr1000. only other biker out on an R1. see you on the 28th.

Da Plan.

Dec said:
That sounds great,im up for it any of them dates and dont care where we go as long as its on the bikes

The Cork contingent are Meeting on the 28th at 8:45am at Grandons Garage, Glanmire and
will be Leaving promptly at 9:00 (nice spin up planned :D )
to get to the Five Alleys for 11:00

About how difficult/easy the day will be, I'm a relative novice to this lark
(2nd time on a GS) and my only worry is cleaning the muck off after.:D

Good luck with the finishing of your bike Joe, you have to be there.:thumb
See ya there De Crowe:thumb

In light of the fact that Daithi has a plan :eek it might be about time we got ourselves organised :) Who's comin' down from Dublin :nenau Anyone fancy a bacon butty or a cuppa here on the way down ?

Who's comin' down from Dublin :nenau Anyone fancy a bacon butty or a cuppa here on the way down ?

Sorry Lads, I've got to give this one a miss - I'm planning a particularly bad hangover on Thursday morning. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Enjoy yerselves and take plenty pics.

The Cork contingent are Meeting on the 28th at 8:45am at Grandons Garage, Glanmire and
will be Leaving promptly at 9:00 (nice spin up planned :D )
to get to the Five Alleys for 11:00

About how difficult/easy the day will be, I'm a relative novice to this lark
(2nd time on a GS) and my only worry is cleaning the muck off after.:D

Good luck with the finishing of your bike Joe, you have to be there.:thumb
See ya there De Crowe:thumb

Thanks Dave,see you at 8.45:bounce1

I'm leaving Dublin a bit before 9.00 .. I could meet you around the M7.. Maybe the Kildare/Nurney Exit at 9.45?

In light of the fact that Daithi has a plan :eek it might be about time we got ourselves organised :) Who's comin' down from Dublin :nenau Anyone fancy a bacon butty or a cuppa here on the way down ?

the Kildare/Nurney Exit at 9.45?

Grand job. I'll be at the roundabout waitin' ;) Unless of course ya want to come down a bit earlier (30 mins would be plenty) & we can go down the scenic route, save the motorway for comin' home :nenau Text / call me in the mornin' if you're comin' earlier, otherwise I'll see ya at 9.45 :D

amazingly you can drop a gs 4 times, twice in the one spot, and it survives virtually without blemish. great machine. One of the best biking days I have ever had. thanks again to all you lads, particularly for lifting the bike and myself up off the dirt.:D :D :D hope everyone got home safe.

Great run today..Hope y'all made it home ok.. Wind is picking up..
I didn't get any decent photos so I hope some of ye got some of the fun..

Oscar for best director: Daithi
(Oscar for best screenplay: Nud1e)

Nice to see you again Jockser, Jimi, Dr Tod, and nice to meet Dec & Con..

Hope ye make it out Sat.

Thanks to Daithi for organising & Nud1e for leading the run :thumb

A great days bikin' & lots of mud:D

Myself & Padge took the back roads down & we had a virtually car-free run - everyone was obviously still enjoying their hols. Nud1e, Dr Tod, De Crowe & R2D2 were already waiting when we got to the Five Alleys, which was still closed :confused: but was well open by the time the 'organiser' turned up :nono Think he got lost takin' the 'scenic route' :rolleyes: After breakfasts for some and soup & sandwiches for others, and copious amounts of tea for all, we headed out on to the tracks made famous on the various Slieve Felim runs. They were as good as ever, if somewhat wetter & muckier than previously :cool:

We all made it to the top of Keeper Hill but had to come halfway back down to get below the cloud & see the view. Unfortunately the day was so good there were lots of walkers on the hill :( but other than a few dour looks there was no hassle.

From there we headed to Slieve Felim itself, and up to Daithi's playground - a disused quarry with everything - gravel slopes, mud, water and a view to die for :bounce1 Lots of messin' about followed, when we weren't pickin' up De Crowes bike :D, before heading back down. This was when the only 'mistake' of the day was made - someone let Daithi lead :spitfire ;) He brought us along a very wet & slippy track right to a dead end up against a turf bank :eek: The next wee while was spent tryin' to manhandle the bikes to face back the way we'd come. Oh how we laughed.... Once we'd turned & were heading away DrTod decided to show off and executed a perfect, beautiful 180 degree turn at the head of the group :clap He says it was intentional but I'm not so sure ;)

After a bit more cruisin' back roads Nud1e left us on the N7 near Limerick, where we all parted company & headed our seperate ways. It was great to get out, to see everyone again and meet the 'new boys' :beerjug:

Oh, and b4 I forget - De Crowe, we're expecting something similar, if not better (no pressure ;) ), in the West early next year :D

Right, who's comin' out on Saturday for a 'clean' run :rob

As Jockser said "A great days bikin' & lots of mud":D How could you top that, what
a brilliant day it was, and we conquered "Keeper" on the Big bikes.
Thanks to Nud1e for sorting things out for the day and for discretely telling me which
way I should go next at junctions.:thumb
I must say, fair play to the lads who hadn't tried this lark before, I don't think de crowe
or Dec had tried the mud and gravel spins before, but both were smiling at the end of the day.
I was waiting for DrTod to take a bow after his GS Pirouette, very convincing:D

As ever, great to meet you all again,
Padge, Jockser, R2D2, Nud1e, GrumpyOne, DrTod, Dec, and De Crowe and I look
forward to meeting ye all soon.

Missed Joe and Marcus though, Marcus for passing me out and Joe for helping me to stop.:D

BTW, Myself and GrumpyOne took the "Scenic" route back, took a bit longer but most certainly
not boring:eek:, excellent finish to a brilliant/thrilling day.:D

Right, who's comin' out on Saturday for a 'clean' run :rob
The bike is washed and ready to go, and my beloved has her vouchers for Arnotts. Sorted !

PS, I think ye all should buy yourselves Serows;)

If ye have any Pictures of the day, any chance you could email them to me ?

bmwr1100gs@gmail.com
Thanks Lads.

Thanks again lads. I will take up Jockser's challenge.Once the body ache passes and before work comes a calling again i will be off in search of a suitable location for the return trip earlyish in the New Year. Probably won't match the altitude but i will try and match yesterdays run, terrain wise. have a safe trip tomorrow and i will keep you posted.
Happy New year.
PS if there any photos out there i would love to see them
email: ccrowleybl@eircom.net
regards all:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom