Christmas Eve in the workhouse!

steviep

Greetings all, just signed up and thought i'd say hello.
Sitting on a rig about 10mls off the coast of New Plymouth, NZ. Sadly, I'm going to be sitting here until the 17th Jan. So, to all you GS riding landlubbers, I say 'sink a few pints for me!!':beerjug:
Live in Perth, WA and ride an 05' 1200GS. I like my Triumphs as well, so when I first came down here I bought a brand new 1050cc Speed Triple. Fantastic bike, loads of grunt, brilliant engine, handling, just looks a bit untidy round the back end, too many different angle and shapes. And the cans are too big, BOS do some ace looking carbon fibre cans. I digress, after 6 months I sold it back to the dealer as i was riding everywhere like an idiot ie flat out, would stay sobre at barbies just to rip up the freeway on the way home...and i wanted to do a bit of touring without the hassle of a chain, lube etc. and my bro, Col Phillips, he's into his GS's, and swears by them, he can make them go round corners like you wouldnt believe...anyway, i bought one. Have been pulled three times for speeding, lost half the points on my aussie licence, you start with 12 and they take them off you, and been hit for like 500ausd in fines. I aint bitching about being pulled, i was at fault....just ironic really!!! Thought it would happen on the Triple not the GS!!:eek

Geez you must have been a bad lad.....the 17th... You must be a month on month off.....I thought theyed stopped that during the INdustrial revolution. DOn't worry it'll all be over soon......actually it won't....Ooooh what a downer.

AndyT:D

AndyT....you know the score, it aint that bad really!! Really, is it????
Batch drilling top hole sections without riser, dont you just love it when there's no returns??????
Maybe i shouldnt have told the Boss i was leaving??????? The 17th...why, it's just next week...or the week after......or......

Hi Stevie and welcome :thumb

I`m off work until the 2nd of January :D

Then I`m in for two days and off for another six :D :D

Hope you enjoy it here :beerjug:

Cheers for the welcome.
At least i 'should' get a few weeks off after this job, i hope.
Very best wishes for christmas and the new year.....
now, if i were of the humbug persuasion....i would revel in the fact that my christmas day would be over when yours is just half way through.......
bah....humbug!!

Hi Steviep and Merry Christmas,
Just think of the money.I'm retired and don't have to do a damned thing,plenty of time but no dosh.Your salary beats my pension every time.Gizza job.
Cheers matey:beerjug:

Hey Keshxpress, thanks for the greetings.
There's a lot of 'high street' wages out here these days, it's not all buckets full of cash that the press would have you believe. It's the free time that has always kept me going, on average I only work 6months a year :D You just gotta love that!!! :bounce1
I always wanted to be one of life's idle rich...so far I'm half way there ... and i ain't rich.
Have a fantastic Christmas, wishing you safe GS riding in 2007

Welcome Stevie, sorry you're away from home for Christmas, but keep logged in and we'll keep you entertained no doubt. Just keep thinking about all that biking you can do once you're shoreside again:thumb

Have a good one!

John

Just bought a book called "Don't tell my Mum I work on the Oil Rigs, she thinks I'm a Piano player in a Brothel". It written by a local lad Paul CArter who now lives in Sydney... Its sup;poseed to be very good. I could tell you a few old Offshore tales but i'll save them for another day;)

Enjoy Your Christmas meal tomorrow:thumb

AndyT

John, AndyT...no worrys about being here, comes with the territory. I've heard about that book but never read it. Guess we've all got our offshore 'war' storys. The site is keeping me entertained.... good to know that you fellow TOSSERS are just a keystroke away :thumb
John, already planning my next trip....
Perth to Port Augusta, up to Ayres Rock then Alice Springs, up to Darwin and then follow the coast back to Perth. :eek: If anybody down this way fancys a long ride.......get in touch :)

Hi steviep, hope you enjoy xmas best you can. I'msure you will make up for it when you get back to land.
P.S This glass of mulled wine is for you!!!!!!!!!:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mulled wine.....

Muzvmc,........dammit! You mentioned alcohol!!:( Mulled wine, red wine, white wine, sparkling wine, champagne, sherry, madeira, port ....... oh god you've started.... brandy, whisky, gin, vodka.....nah! strike vodka......me off...twitch-twitch....and i was doing so well!!! :D
I usually do make up for it when i get back to the beach......:bounce1 :beerjug: :bounce1
cheers mate, have a good 'un

Welcome to the forum Steve ... enjoy your stay with us :)

Muzvmc,........dammit! You mentioned alcohol!!:( Mulled wine, red wine, white wine, sparkling wine, champagne, sherry, madeira, port ....... oh god you've started.... brandy, whisky, gin, vodka.....nah! strike vodka......me off...twitch-twitch....and i was doing so well!!! :D
I usually do make up for it when i get back to the beach......:bounce1 :beerjug: :bounce1
cheers mate, have a good 'un

You must have some Methanol onboard:D

Failing that talk nicely to the Paleanologist when he/she get onboard as I believe they have some nice alchohol for preping their samples;)

Which reminds me I have a bottle og port on the shelf behind me:p

hi steve and welcome.
a verry merry xmas to you,somebody has to work i supposs i wish i could work [on long term sick after a wee trip on a bike ouch !. i worked xmas 2001 putting in a raiway bridge and earned £2100.00 for three days.that would be very handy now.dont work to hard.and i hope time fly's by.
regards Ashley.:thumb

Slate the GS1200????

Tried replying yesterday Ash but the comms this end were a bit iffy, shouldnt grumble really seeings though tis other side of the world!!
Hope you're on the road to recovery after your 'trip'!!
Thanks for the warm welcome to the GS'ers forum.
Been looking around the various forums and am surprised at the amount of slating the GS1200 gets?? What you got Ash??

Hey Stevie,

We're drilling the top hole section here in Denmark just now which is great as it means I can't work on the platform so get another day off- and tomorrows the last day of my trip..:thumb
Off back home to put some new light bulbs in my GS, drink tooo much, sober up and go for a ride in the freezing cold. Great...

Any jobs for well service supervisors down there?:D :D

There and back....

Wully, guess you'll be home by now...and p*ssed! Making up for all that 'lost' time????? :beer::bounce1 :beer:
Dont tell me the GS is prone to blowing light bulbs???? I did have a key code failure on my '05 GS1200 earlier this year, the onboard computer wouldnt recognise the key, it started as an intermittent problem and got slowly worse. Repaired under warranty, thats the only problem I've had with mine.
To run it in I rode across Australia, Fremantle to Surfers Paradise just south of Brisbane and back. Fun adventures like that makes you realise how big Oz really is, suffered mainly from the heat and dehydration as opposed to the freezing cold, but the heat can be just as bad. More on that trip another time perhaps.....
Oil industry is booming down here mate, screaming out for people. I've been here just over two years, got my PR (permanent residency) in august last and just about to go contracting as Wellsite Geo. Lovin it, lovin it, lovin it!!!:clap :thumb

I don't think the GS is prone to blowing bulbs- I'm just getting brighter ones as the standard ones are about as much use a trap door in a rowing boat...

It'll be beer o'clock soon:clap :clap and I'm going to take part in the only christmas celebration I have anything to do with.(one of the best things about Denmark)

Tubourg Christmas Beer - and lots of it.:beer: :beer: :beer:

Back
Top Bottom