Car Tom Toms for bikes

whitegloss

Reaction score
anyone using a car tomtom on their bike as they are a lot cheaper. If so what precautions are you using to protect the unit from rain etc.
I am sure it would be easy enough to fabricate a bracket to hold the unit onto the bike.

was specifically looking at a tom tom that has usa europe maps and uk for about 300 quid, i think from halfords

thanks

anyone using a car tomtom on their bike as they are a lot cheaper. If so what precautions are you using to protect the unit from rain etc. .. was specifically looking at a tom tom that has usa europe maps and uk for about 300 quid ..
I'm sure someone "in the know" will be along later, but before you part with any money I would check that the units are suitable for bike use. There are loads of Garmin units that aren't suitable for bike use, because I understand the vibrations knacker them - I assume the same applies to Tom Toms. If you need to design something to "protect the unit from rain" then my guess is that it wasn't designed for bike use anyway, and would steer well clear of it. When you say "cheaper" you do realise that the Garmin 2610 is currently selling for £160 but pretty soon they will run out as they are discontinued.

anyone using a car tomtom on their bike as they are a lot cheaper. If so what precautions are you using to protect the unit from rain etc. I am sure it would be easy enough to fabricate a bracket to hold the unit onto the bike. thanks

At least you're thinking about mounting the damn thing before you spend money in the high street. Many don't this time of year ...

So which model ?????

Without it these clues.. here's my ready reckoner of adaptions, you'll need a mount to complete ....

Go, Go Plus, Go 300, Go 700 use RAM-B-202-TO1

Go 510, Go 710, Go 910 use a RAM-B-202-TO3

Rider, Use a RAM-B-238 with M3 screws.

TomTom ONE is a re-worked RAM-B-238 as shown on this linkhttp://www.ram-mount-uk.com/bike-mount82.htm

Tom Tom on a bike

Tried to use a tom tom 300 on the GS with a home made mount and it was a complete waste of time as the display was unreadable in daylight conditions, (never mind bright sunlight).
Not sure if the newer models have a better display but I would go down the garmin route (pardon the pun) as you can pick up a 2610 off fleebay very cheaply now.
I ended up with a second hand 2610 and home made mounting bracket which works well combined with the maplins earpiece for audio instructions.
All in cost me about £210

cheers guys, was not wanting to spend a whole load of dosh on sat navs-prefer maps, however they are bloody marvellous at locating that little known shack in the middle of the black forest!!

i am planning a trip to usa and usually go to europe once a year hence i thought for something not used a lot could get a do it all for three hundred quid would be a bargain.

Will heed your advice and put this car sat nav idea where it belongs-the bin cheers:thumb

Be aware that the 2610 doesn't have a petrol-proof casing and screen, is not as well internally dampened as the BMW navigator series GPSR's and doesn't have a reinforced main circuit board either. The 2610 is absolutely fine for touring on tarmac but may be sensitive to rougher treatment.

If you use a 2610 get a decent mount for it like the touratech ones which dampen vibrations. Avoid any of the 2620 models or similar which use a microdrive. They are OK in a car but fail due to vibration when used on a bike.

Blatant shameless plug: I'm selling my BMW nav 2 system with bike mount cradle, car kit and BMW carry bag etc. due to emigrating, its in the for sale and wanted section if anyones interested.

Back
Top Bottom