Times past , and new

Dermott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, happy new year.
Great to have met so many like minded bikers in the year past, and more to meet:bounce1
In keeping with the day that it is, who would like to share what and when their first bike was:rob
For myself briefly, in the late 60's a Excelsior, Villiars 200cc, as a field bike, from Trevor Lyons for a fiver. First road bike was a Yamaha 100 twin in 72, from Ernie Callaghan, I think for 160 pounds. Many more field and road bikes followed almost uninterupted to now with my GSPD:thumb

Hi Dermott

First bike was a very used field bike. 250cc Greeves Griffon Trials

greeves%20scottish%206%20day%20trial%20bike.jpg

First road bike was this very used/abused Honda CB 200 :D

honda%20cb%20200.jpg

Rode this for a year and bought the one below, R100CS.
Nice clean low mileage and gave me 2 years trouble free riding and touring.

This shot taken on the Scottish Island of Mull in 1983.

cs%20mull%201983.jpg

By now I was well and truly hooked :thumb

Mine was a Suzuki TS100 bought for £50 for my 17th back in 1976. Sold it for £80 which almost went to put a deposit down on my next steed.

Attachments

• TS100.jpg
    TS100.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 215
So in 1977, I was the proud owner of a brand new Yamaha DT100. :D You'll remember that one, D. The one I ended up in hospital after binning on the Green Road. :eek:

Attachments

• DT100.jpg
    DT100.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 210
First one was a Bantam in a field, first on the road was a Yammy 50, with a leading link fork.

PD looks deadly, Dermott, health to enjoy!

My first bike was a Honda CD200 Benly (can't find a pic), which I stuffed into a XJ6 Jaguar. Whilst waiting for his insurance to pay out I had a GT185 Suzuki and an XS250 Yamaha. As soon as I had the insurance cheque I went and bought a GS750 Suzuki.

So in 1977, I was the proud owner of a brand new Yamaha DT100. :D You'll remember that one, D. The one I ended up in hospital after binning on the Green Road. :eek:

I remember it D, in fact I seldom drove down the 'old Green Road' towards the 6 road ends and not think about it.

Great bike, I remember your DTR 250 also which I really liked. It would be nice to have one now with low mileage tucked away in the garage :beerjug:

My first bike was a Honda CD200 Benly (can't find a pic), which I stuffed into a XJ6 Jaguar. Whilst waiting for his insurance to pay out I had a GT185 Suzuki and an XS250 Yamaha. As soon as I had the insurance cheque I went and bought a GS750 Suzuki.

Managed to dig up a photo, not sure how close this resembles your old gal :)

Honda-CD200-Benly-79.jpg

Happy New Year Aidan,

One of my bros, 'Batman' on here had a whole rash of Suzuki's ... if only he had taken more pics. :(

I don't think he had every model they produced but he certainly had many of the GT/GS models.

Maybe this thread will nudge him into a picture post :D

The A list

Happy new year all, it's a James Bond 007 year.
As I recollect my biking CV is roughly as follows.
My Ma - who's still about but no longer has 2 wheels - had a Velo Solex and then a Honda 50 for getting into town. We lived in rural Co Meath - so of course were on the roads illegally at a young age. My Da - also still about - used to "give out" about this but was then addicted to fags; when he ran of them out he would ask us to go to the shop - 3 miles away - for more. We would be sure to have a punctured push bike or what ever it took for him to say "for feck sake take the Honda, I'm bustin for a fag".
Got my own Honda 50 in 1968. so now there were two and racing was possible mostly in the fields with my younger brothers 3 0f the 4 boys became "bikers":clap . The Da used to join in although he was never a "biker"; when the compeditive spirit emerged - that never took long - he would ride over you to get in front :clap :clap .
My 50 got me through college years in Dublin, you could not "kill" it. Eventually I graduated to a 90 that was quickly traded for a 125 SS (all Honda). The 125 opened up Ireland - my first "real" bike. In 1974 I traded it for a "realer" Honda 500 four. I had arrived but did not know any other "biker" but the 500 drew the attention of other "big" bike men and boy was I now hooked.
To be continued

The B list

The 500 was traded for my first non Honda - a BMW 750/6 in 1976; got a lot of "pipe & slippers" remarks but it was a good bike. In 1979 a wife and son and a house and debt saw that pristine 750 become a ragged 900 BMW outfit along with sorely needed cash. The outfit changed sidecars as the "family" dictated and opened up new experiences - there's a book there somewhere. The outfit is still in the shed as is the Honda XR 200 purchased second hand in the mid 80s - an MZ 250 had got me back on the right (single) track in the early 80s.
The late 90s saw the kids grow up but not me as I restored a cheaply bought but neglected 1984 R 80 G/S PD.
A really great bike but it died and I was lucky not to do so also when an oncoming motorist lost control of a car and clouted us head on in late 2001.
Another 80 G/S was found and is still in the shed as was a Yamaha Serow to allow the XR a rest.
The summer of 2004 saw me with an insurance settlement and my first new bike for 28 years; a 1200 GS.
Thats the brief CV, the pictures you can paint in your own head.
The future, who knows; hope it's good for all of us.:thumb

Honda-CD200-Benly-79.jpg

That's her Alte except for the wheelie bin on the back. :eek: :eek:

A great wee first bike 25 years ago. :thumb

The Jag I hit turned across in front of me and I hit the nearside rear panel. Tough yokes those old Jags. I seen to recall that the reg of the car was FIB5555 and was owned by Blakely from Hillsborough. Fecker never even came near me to see if I was alive or dead. :spitfire

Poor wee Honda was beyond repair. :(

Managed to dig up a photo, not sure how close this resembles your old gal :)

Honda-CD200-Benly-79.jpg

Happy New Year Aidan,

One of my bros, 'Batman' on here had a whole rash of Suzuki's ... if only he had taken more pics. :(

I don't think he had every model they produced but he certainly had many of the GT/GS models.

Maybe this thread will nudge him into a picture post :D

It bears a damn good resemblance to mine :D Did everyone own a Benley ?:eek:
First bike, Honda 50 with no saddle, riding around the half acre front garden
we had a jump and all !
At a push going downhill it used to get airbourne, that's where the no saddle bit came in :eek: :eek:
1st Bike Honda 50
2nd Honda 90 (had 6 of them)
3rd Benley 200 (Bent as an s-hook, wouldn't go round right-handers)
4th Honda 400/4 (had 5 of them)
5th Yammie FZ400R (I loved it)
there were loads more after, but it was a loan of a GSPD last year that
converted me :bow :GS .

Daithi :thumb

I found some old Sixties pix of our old bikes. Here's my first proper one (excluding dopey Vespas, which don't count as bikes :D ).
Norton Model 50 (350 cc single)
mod50.jpg

Followed a year later with a Norton 88 (500cc twin)
88.jpg

Chopped that in for a Norton 99 (600cc twin)
caferacer.jpg

My mate Jimmy with his Ariel 500
ariel-1.jpg

And a wee run to Dundrod - two 88s and a Shooting Star outside Grand Prix House, before it disappeared
ugp.jpg

Lots more, but that'll do for now, I need me cocoa :rob :rob :D

jays shuck,
didnt know you were famous:eek:
thousands of people walk past your pic every day in my place of employment:thumb

in the write up it is claimed you were origonally a mod as could be seen from your choice of footwear

More

:rob I see the lists have extended somewhat,
My next road bike and only new bike was a yamaha dt 125 orange tank and dyno/starter, only had it 6 days and got wiped out, honda cb250, ariel red hunter 350, kawasaki 400, r65, offroad, I had 5 bultacos in sucession starting with a rickman pursang? then sherpas. will post some photos when I can find them.
Cheers all
D:thumb

jays shuck,
didnt know you were famous:eek:
thousands of people walk past your pic every day in my place of employment:thumb

in the write up it is claimed you were origonally a mod as could be seen from your choice of footwear
Kyle, Blame Linda Ballard for that bollox :D Like I said, I'm trying to play down the Vespa years :rob

Sod it

was there
petrol in those days :nenau
;) ;) ;)[/QUOTE]

Joe
Just like the future; no petrol. They were turf powered; keeping the float bowls clean was a curse. With fuel injection we will not have that to worry about when the turf comes back.:eek:

THE EARLY YEARS

. . 250 Panther sloper girder forks,
. . 500 Triumph speed twin,
. . 350 Velocette MAC,
. . 350 BSA B31,
. . Heinkel 174
. . Trials Cotton Minarelli,
. . Norton ES2,
. . Norton Model 50 Featherbed,
. . note the British influence . .

Back
Top Bottom