From UK to Estonia - Any Route advice please?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at travelling from the UK to visit my brother in Tallinn, Estonia this coming summer. I'm not over fussed about riding up though Poland, I wondered if there were any good options in perhaps taking a ferry to one of the Scandinavian countries direct? Any recommendations for Sweden/Norway/Finland routes? I also understand there's a ferry from Germany to the Baltics, this may work well too; anyone have any experience of this?

Any advice much appreciated..

Also will be on an RT, not the GS if that has any bearing at all..

Thanks,
Rob :)

Rob - a crowd of us, magnificently led by Greg Masters, went to the Baltic states via the Newcastle/Norway ferry and thence from Sweden to Estonian via ferry

You can read all the threads including GPS routes HERE :thumb

We came back 'overland' via Poland Germany etc

This was the route :

Days12.jpg

***** Stockholm-Tallin Ferry is super relaxing brill....

....clean, safe and most professionally run; the best you'll find anywhere.

I remember an aweful disaster on that route some years back ('94).

Stena-Irish-Brittany ferries? Is that what it'll take?

Isn't the greed of our 'average' publicly limited company a shame on the human race?

You can read all the threads including GPS routes HERE :thumb

Many, many thanks Dahoum - really enlightening! Also can I ask how long it took you to get from off of the ferry at Skagerrak to Stockholm? :confused:

Cheers
Rob :thumb

We took our RTs from Harwich to Edjsberg - two nights in Sweden and a fascinating trip to the Vasa museum in Stockholm before taking the cheaper and more direct ferry from Kapellskar to Paldiski

We met a Russian biker who told us that this Spring a ferry is to start to the island of Saaremaa off the Estonian coast - I think from Kiel, but Google for any details. Margus reckons the island is well worth seeing and a one stage someone was talking about a GSexpedition there

Estonia is an excellent bike trip and the city of Tartu has three universities and so is home to about 50% of the country's gorgeous female students!

Would not rush back to Latvia or Lithuania - Poland has manic drivers and you can't cross the Polish/German border anywhere north of Szczecin on a motorbike

Much more detail available if you search this forum or PM for further detail

Yes unfortunately the gothenburg /kristiansand boat no longer runs. It still goes to bergen which is still better than floging across poland and up the baltic. Have a look at harwich/edjsberg. These ferries are usualy cheaper if you book early. Try www.motorsport-travel.com for substantial discounts.( hull/rotterdam less than half price) The ferries across to tallin are super good, no wories about the olden days.They are difficult to book but can be done by phone/fax There is a current thread about ferries to scandinavia on the bmwclub forum.
I went to estonia last summer via harwich czeck poland etc returning via sweden. Long way but worth it!

Thanks everyone, much appreciated..

Thanks again to everyone for their help, what a nice site this can be.. :)

Set(ish) now. Going to tail end a trip with Micky to Germany, head to Rostock, take the ferry to Ventspils in Latvia, head on up to Estonia.. then on over to Stockholm to make my way back to Esbjerg.

Should keep me out of trouble for a little while. :bounce1

Estonia is an excellent bike trip and the city of Tartu has three universities and so is home to about 50% of the country's gorgeous female students!

Thanks Kritou.. very familiar with Tartu.. now what a place that is! ;)

Thanks Kritou.. very familiar with Tartu.. now what a place that is! ;)

Smile! You're on.....Tartu webcam

Not hard to find...in window top of square up from fountain....lot's of students/bikers waving at mum.

346064128_7e7cba48d0_o.jpg

Rob
My wife comes from Latvia, last time we visited her folks we went Harwich to Esjberg, then drove accross the bridge to Sweden and got a ferry from Karshalm to Liepaja. There are reasonable road on to Riga and then Talinn. From our point of view we were visiting Liepaja, so the route was perfect, overnight ferries so a beer or two was possible and limited driving (two toddlers in tow).
This year I am meeting her out there, I am planning to ride round the arctic circle and travel south through Russia and Estonia.
I am planning to post a thread on this as I have not been on the forum for a fair while and want to see if anybody has done this route.

Back
Top Bottom