Warning - A404/M40

Paul Wakefield

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If any of you are using the Marlow bypass to join the M40 Northbound, be careful.

There is a very nasty pothole at the start of the sliproad. No doubt this has been caused by the roadworks.

I hit it last night at 10-20mph and it has written off my front wheel. I've reported it to the Highways Agency but the hole was still there this evening. I'm about to chase them again.

Wheel is on back order from Germany. Bother. :-(

Paul

Sounds like you were, relatively speaking, lucky Paul. I know that stretch well, and there's enough to worry about without bloody great holes in the road.

If you have not already done so telephone this number (24hrs) 08457 50 40 30 and ask for a claim form to be sent to you.

Agreed I was lucky. A clear run at it would have been very nasty. As it was the handlebars were nearly ripped out of my hands.

The first thing the Highways Agency did was to offer to send a claim form (rapidly accepted :) ). Be interesting to see what happens. But I was more worried about getting the road mended.

Paul

ride that road every day all the roads around the handycross roundabout improvement are in a similar state, another bit to watch is the road leading to cressex turn pike from handycross every time it rains heavy it leaves about 4 inches of mud across the road.

Pothole

Paul ,
Bad luck , but thankfully you are ok and glad to see you didn't come off the bike .

I hope they sort it for you promptly , and you get back on two wheels soon .
I've been out on mine today , dodging a bird [ feathered variety ] that got blown across the road in front of me by the blustery gales .

Safe riding ,

Steve

I appreciate that it might be difficult, but a picture of the offending crater would be useful, if you can manage to avoid getting wiped out. Also a pic of the wheel.

Happened to me in the car, dinged a wheel rim (alloy :eek: ) and I took some pics of the pothole and the surrounding road. Reported it when I got home and found the road was mended on the same day. There's efficient, I thought. I was surprised when I rang about the claim and they said, 'Oh, couldn't possibly be our fault, that was sorted ages ago.' A subsequent email with dated/timed pix clarified their thinking and the cheque duly arrived some weeks later :thumb

Bike is back and am looking forward to a ride later on.

Keeping my fingers crossed that is the last thing for a while. In the last 1000 miles, the bike has been completely apart for a gearbox seal, had a new RH switchgear (kill switch problem), new ESA switch, new front wheel (obviously not the bike's fault!) and now the brake calipers have the classic seizing porblem (rather than just sort them out, NOG are having them replaced under warranty which is a jolly good way of getting new pads at no cost when the old ones are nearly knackered :D ). All minor stuff, apart from the wheel, though the gearbox seal was quite a big job. Just irritants and I still really enjoy the bike - it seems to be getting better and better to ride.

Now to do battle with the Highways Agency. Form has been sent off and I am just waiting for the pantomime of "Its the contractors fault" "Oh no its not", etc. :)

Got a picture of the wheel and NOG are holding onto the damaged one for a few weeks as well. Impossible to get a picture of the crater -there is just no way to get near it and it has been filled in subsequently. But I think the log of calls I made will be sufficient (I reported it again when it wasn't filled in the next day). Also I made sure the recovery van driver saw it and I know another member of this board saw it so, if it comes to it, I think I can get witnesses.

Steve, Glad you missed the bird this time. ;)

Paul

Back
Top Bottom