This morning at Madjeski McD's

DavidJames

Reaction score
Saw another GS meeting someone for what looked like a lesson or ride out? I was there meeting my observer for RoSPA training on my 12GS.

Anyone on here?

David

Who's your Observer?

My IAM Associate cried off the lunchtime meet 'cos it was raining. To be fair it was also very windy and the rain was falling horizontally.

Just wish he'd phoned before I'd dressed and ridden to the meeting point.

Yeah, I know Tim. The lunatic with the K12R!

I have had 4 Gold passes with RoSPA and one with IAM also.

Let's put it this way, the average IAM rider would get a very good Bronze/low Silver in RoSPA grading. I encourage my IAM associates to move onto RoSPA as soon as they pass the IAM test.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that examiners don't give out that many Golds, probably around 10 -15% of candidates.

There is also some luck involved, 'cos a solid Gold rider can have an 'off' day and end up with a Silver, and that doesn't take into accounts any variability in examiners and if they have any 'stresses' they bring along. It's supposed to be a matter of demonstrating standards, but with the best will in the world it's hard to keep an even grading every day.

Try not to rush things and take it as it comes. Some weeks you'll feel you're going backwards. Some weeks you forget all the stuff you did previously as you concentrate on a new skill. Like balancing plate son stick, you will eventually be able to keep them all in the air at once (if I might mix my metaphors).

Perhaps the most important thing is to get out an practise. And then practise some more. It's the only way everything will become second nature.

Some people like to take a test early, as soon as they know they're at Bronze standard just to get it out of the way, and then to do more tra8ining to improve the grade.

And, as you have to repeat every 3 years to stay 'current' you're forced to maintain your standards. AIM is 'pass and forget', and it seems that too many do just that.

My examiner on my retest last May was telling me that he'd actually failed a guy the week before who'd previously gained a Gold. The reason, put simply, was that he was doing only 1500 - 200 miles a year and that just isn't enough to keep what are very perishable skills up to standard.

Cheers John!
I have only been riding 4 months so my goal is to become a smoother and safer rider, I am in no rush to take any tests.

David

Query...

Cheers John!
I have only been riding 4 months so my goal is to become a smoother and safer rider, I am in no rush to take any tests.

David

How are you finding the RoSPA training, I started to do my IAM but jacked it in after doing 3 differnet trips with 3 differnet observers. Still want to improve my riding skills. But not willing to go back and try IAM again...:D

How are you finding the RoSPA training, I started to do my IAM but jacked it in after doing 3 differnet trips with 3 differnet observers. Still want to improve my riding skills. But not willing to go back and try IAM again...:D

It is good, I have only done 2 sessions so far but already feel I have improved - I also feel more confident. The guys are really nice and I have been assigned 1 person to give me guidance and prepare me for the test. They focus on safety whilst making 'progress' :thumb I can send you the email address of the leader of the group, a guy called Panos (he rides a GS and a HP2!!) if you want?

David

Can..

It is good, I have only done 2 sessions so far but already feel I have improved - I also feel more confident. The guys are really nice and I have been assigned 1 person to give me guidance and prepare me for the test. They focus on safety whilst making 'progress' :thumb I can send you the email address of the leader of the group, a guy called Panos (he rides a GS and a HP2!!) if you want?

David

you send me Panos email addy, have met him a few times when he ran the ride outs for SPC.....Cheers..

Back
Top Bottom