Stelvio Pass- when does it open??

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just in the process of planning a trip to the Dolomites/ Slovenia, leaving on the 15 May. Does anyone know whether the Slevio Pass is likely to be open by then??

thanks

Baz

From memory it should open 1st June - but it will depend on late snow etc.

I've been there on 31st May and there was only one snow drift left to clear, and they weren't going to open it early!

Up to date info here

Looks like I'll have to change my route slightly then:(

read somewhere that they are planning to charge you to use the stelvio pass-not sure when or if it was just a proposal. Have been myself, simply awsome words and pictures dont really convey what its like at the top:beerjug:

Just booked ferry, out 15th May, back 28th- Portsmouth Le Harve, counting the days:)

Baz

www.alpineroads.com gives the status of most passes

check a day or two before you travel and modify travel plans accordingly: few will be open in May IME

They don't make any effort to open any of the passes much before June 1. If they are still blocked then , they will send in snow moving equipment. However there as been very little snow so far ... obviously this can change.

But stelvio is one of the high ones ... so the chance of it being open in May is bugger all !!

I had no problems with snow in the Cortina area in early May last year. Had originally planned to try the Stelvio, but gave it a miss as it is officially closed then.

Take it easy. NO SNOW till now......more......yesterday here near Cortina d'Ampezzo 18 °C

It looks like spring. :spitfire :spitfire :spitfire

Stelvio pass good to say you have been but nothing special much nicer passes .Was there last year road surface very poor . blackpool like gift shops at top ... nice bar

Won't be open prior to June 1st and then it depends on the weather. I went last year in early June and was watching the webcam to see when it opened. Have a look at this http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOEST which is a view at the top of the pass.

Dave

thanks for the webbcam details.
i always wonered what it was like in the thick of winter:thumb

Stelvio pass good to say you have been but nothing special much nicer passes .Was there last year road surface very poor . blackpool like gift shops at top ... nice bar

i agree but the whole area is a must to see.the road if you can call it that is very bad when you go down and try a hot dog:D

Cheers guys

Good to hear Cortina should be passable.

Dont think I'll book accomodation & just see how things are when I get over there.

Baz

YOO

And don't think the Gavia wil be an alternative, 'cause this one is bound to be opened even later in summer than the Stelvio:eek:

Stelvio is indeed a must do, just to be able to say that you've been there, Gavia imo is much more fun, smal twisty road, nice scenery:bounce1

Grtz, Philip!

When does the Stelvio and other similar passes in the area typically close?
I have an outside chance of a visit to Torino in September.

When does the Stelvio and other similar passes in the area typically close?
I have an outside chance of a visit to Torino in September.

when it snows.:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom