Replacement Bluetooth for TomTom rider

Simon E

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a "fix" to stop the bluetooth connector turning off when you connect it to a charger? Ideally I would like to hard wire it on the bike and connect it into my autocom (already have the cable) so that I don't need to worry about the battery life in the same way that the Rider itself can be charged while on the move (assuming the mount doesn't fail:) )

Failing that is their an alternative bluetooth gadget (not sure if it is called a dongle?) that can be hard wired and plugged into the autocom and enable me to do away with the bluetooth connector that came with the rider - any techies ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Can't help you regarding a dongle, however I see that Autocom sell a dedicated audio cable for the Tomtom rider (part 1297) at £24.00. Probably cheaper and less hassle than using a dongle. Need to get one myself at some point providing it fits a Pro7 Sport unit.

I wish the rider unit had a plug-in speaker/charger for car use like my Garmin has (....waits for a Garmin owner to bite and post a typical superiority complex response:rolleyes: )

Ian,
have you tried the speaker since the latest firmware update which is supposed to improve the Bluetooth(tm) operation?

Thanks for the PM btw, looks like I'll have to spend some money.:(

I ordered the Audio lead from Autocom, Part 1297, £24 plus £2.50 p&p.

Apparently it is a 2 metre long lead which contains an audio isolator block to prevent problems with ghost earths/interference and plugs between the bluetooth receiver and the Autocom unit. Hopefully I can now make and recieve calls and hear voice instructions via my Autocom (once my Touratech mount arrives and I can get it fitted).

Simon,
I too have an autocom and also their lead for using a tom tom rider. I read your post and tried to figure a way around the problem. It seems that if you only push the power lead adapter/plug into the unit half way, instead of fully home that the unit will stay on and it also charges.
I think :)

Before I can confirm this I'm conducting an experiment :eek:

I have set up the Bluetooth unit as above and I have had this powered on for approximately 17 hours. As I don't know how long the Bluetooth unit will last on a single charge, it may not be charging! I have also now considered the fact that the unit won't use a great deal of power if it isn't doing anything so I have now turned on the Tom Tom unit after this 17 hour period and set a Demo running on a loop so that the Bluetooth unit is receiving instructions from the unit and hopefully using more power. Anyway so far the thing has been on for a total of 21 hours continuous with the last 4 hours running with the Demo.

I never really used the Bluetooth unit before I had an autocom so I don't know how long it holds a single charge for. If it's only 8 or so hours then I can confidently say that this set up works. If on the other hand it holds a charge for more like 24 hours then I will have to wait another few hours to see if it is indeed charging.

If anybody knows how long the Bluetooth unit usually last on a single charge please let me know? and put me out of my silly behaviour :D

Anyway I'll keep you posted if this works or not :nenau

My rider is using version 6.52 and connects fine with a Motorola T305 and my plantronics 320 earpiece. I have sometimes had problems swapping from one headset to the other when the TTR won't detect the new heaset or detects it and says it is incompatable. It does not do this every time but when it does a reset of the TTR seems to do the trick.

My rider is using version 6.52 and connects fine with a Motorola T305 and my plantronics 320 earpiece. I have sometimes had problems swapping from one headset to the other when the TTR won't detect the new heaset or detects it and says it is incompatable. It does not do this every time but when it does a reset of the TTR seems to do the trick.

Strange - you have the same Rider software as me, but I can't get it to connect at all with my Motorola T305 bluetooth speaker. Did you have to do anything unusual, or did it work as advertised?

Iain L

when the TTR won't detect the new heaset or detects it and says it is incompatable. It does not do this every time but when it does a reset of the TTR seems to do the trick.

Have you tried a reset Iain ??

Awaiting the outcome of the T305, I would really like to use one in the car with the rider unit.

Hi Pukmeister - I have already bought the cable and it seems to work fine (I can use my mobile, listen to music and hear directions) but it only connects the bluetooth adapter to the Autocom master unit so you still need to find someway to continuously get power to the adapter or be a slave to its battery life.

Hi Ste,

I think that the bluetooth connector unit is supposed to only run for around 4-5 hours between charges at least thats what I have read on another forum (Pocket GPS World). If that is the case then you may well have hit upon a solution (I hope). Having said that, given the amount of vibration on my GS I wonder whether the power lead would stay in and connected or whether we need to keep looking for a better fix. I will certainly try your idea in the mean time.

Cheers:thumb

Simon

Pukmeister - go out and get that T305...:clap

I had to delete both my Tomtom Rider headset and my mobile phone from the Rider, but it then paired fine with the T305. As it's so easy to pair everything again I don't find that an inconvenience, or if it is it is completely outweighed by the fact that I can use the Rider in the car without having to use the TT bluetooth adaptor at all.

Iain

Ste,
if as you say, the dongle can be charged and used at the same time by not pushing the charger fully home, then I suspect that the female jack plug in the dongle has a switch contact in it which the male jack plug operates to turn off the units functionality when charging. I bet someone skillful with a screwdriver could open the dongle and doctor it to stop this happening.

I have a Motorola H500 Bluetooth headset for handsfree driving at work, according to the instructions it cannot be used and charged at the same time either. I wonder if this is a licensing requirement of the Bluetooth standards??

I have only just got my rider so I am not too keen to be the first to volunteer, has anyone got a spare Rider dongle and fancy opening it up to have a go a doctoring the damned thing (or just braver than me) ??

Iain,
thanks for the info re: T305 speaker.

I finally got my T305 speaker and couldn't pair it, due to clicking on YES when using the 'CONNECT TO RIDER HEADSET' option. When I tried again and clicked on the NO option instead, it then asked about doing a search for headsets, and found the bluetooth speaker no problems.

I also paired my works and personal mobile phones and copied contacts across no problems. I've installed the auto day/night control, the offroad navigator etc successfully but had no joy with the .Mp3 player.

Has anyone managed to successfully install the freeware .Mp3 player available on the Web to their TT rider ??

Back
Top Bottom