Arctic Circle

Steveremf

My wife has decided to take our two little terrors home to her parents in Latvia for at least a month in the summer. At first I thought about getting pissed for a month then I realised that given I can take time off as I please I could take a month off and ride a bloody long way on the bike.
I fancy riding round the arctic circle via Norway and drop south through Russia, Estonia and end up in Lativia. Did a quick forum search but could not find much on this route, any one done this or have any advice. Better still is anyone else planning similar trips.

I took the GS up through Norway in 2005. Rode from Bergen to the cape and back down through Finland and Sweden. I take it you’re planning on riding to Kirkenes and then onto Murmansk. This is what I originally thought about doing but I had to revise the route to keep the costs down. You’ll obviously need a visa for Russia. I think when I checked it was about £100 but I could be wrong. By the sound of your route you might need at least 5 weeks to appreciate it and if you want the odd day off the bike. You mentioned Estonia and Latvia. I’m thinking about going to the Baltic states myself in the summer.

I recommend you buy a copy of John Douglas’ “Norway’s Arctic Highway”. It gives a mile-by-mile account of the Bloodveist all the way from Mo I Rana to Kirkenes and will get you in the mood for the trip. I’ve got notes somewhere to do with the trip I made. I’ll try and dig them out if you want.

Gav
Thanks for the feedback, I have spent the last two day,s looking into Russian visa,s and its a bit of a mine field. I am now considering the most direct route to Latvia where I will spend a few day,s before heading north through Estonia and Finland, then round Norway via the arctic circle and eastwards home. Its a shame because I really fancy riding north through barely populated parts of Russia up to Murmansk.
As I understand it a travel visa only lasts for a three days and for a tourist visa you need confirmed accomodation which sort of defeats the object. There could also be problems about importing bikes to Russia and god help you if you lose any of the various bits of paperwork while your there. My wifes family (Latvian) think I am mad wanting to go any where near the place but then they are not great lovers of the Russian Federation.
I reckon via Finland will prove less frantic and should be less risky.

I would be more than happy to meet up with any wayward souls round the baltic states, I am planning to reach Latvia around the 13th July and any advice from previous trips would be usefull.

Back
Top Bottom