clarification on tom-toms

Adamm

hello,

i know that this is a much discussed subject but like many others my TT stopped working in the mount (on a trip back from Spain, luckly i could keep it old style and use my back-up map!). the question is if i fit a touratec mount will it make the power connection work again? or do i need to do something else? Please do not tell me to take it back to the shop as like the idoit my wife said i am i've lost the receipt.

Also i'm off to Africa in April can i use it for lat and long?

All the best,

Adam

The Touratech Mounting cradle utilises the existing rider mounting 'plate' with the electrical connectors on it, therefore if your rider already has a problem with the connecting pins of its mount, the Touratech one won't fix it. HOWEVER, I would recommend you send Tomtom an email explaining about your mount problem and get them to sort it, warranty or not, because the existing mount is clearly not fit for purpose ( as mentioned elsewhere on this forum).

The Touratech cradle holds the rider properly into the mounting plate so that the pins do not vibrate and thus prevents the problem which you have with yours.

As for lat & long, there is a third party application for the rider written in Linux code which you can use to display your lat and long, and also a compass screen application in Linux, downloadable for free. Read the postings about the rider here and you'll come across it, its a pretty recent posting from the last week or two.

EDIT: Here you go, sometimes I am just too nice to people.....

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk

cheers

thanks for that info. i will try TT today.

All the best,
Adam

As for lat & long, there is a third party application for the rider written in Linux code which you can use to display your lat and long, and also a compass screen application in Linux, downloadable for free. Read the postings about the rider here and you'll come across it, its a pretty recent posting from the last week or two.

EDIT: Here you go, sometimes I am just too nice to people.....

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk

Pukemeister, thanks for the link. However, not sure what Root file is etc. Would you mind typing a step by step "for dummies" guide to installing?

Thanks in advance.

I would, but I haven't tried using the software myself yet so I don't yet know how either.

The root of a file is its 'highest ranking' parent directory e.g on your PC it would be c:\ (assuming your operating system is installed on the C drive).

I suspect you would do the following....

Assuming you have the rider GPS unit connected to the PC via USB and you use winzip, select all the files you require to put on the rider then select "extract to..." then browse the rider unit using the explorer pane of winzip as if the rider GPS unit was just another hard drive connected to your PC. Find the root directory ( i.e. the main folder and NOT a subfolder), and then extract the files there and then reboot your rider GPS. The files should then be accessible via the riders operating system and thus readable/executable.

Sax (and Adam if required)

Are you using Tomtom Home? If so, find the folder called TomTom on your PC hard drive (mine is in "My Documents") and open that folder. Inside is a folder called HOME - open that and you should see a Content folder. I put the downloaded Zip files into the Content folder and unzipped them - this left me with the following:
Contentfolder.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopefully you can see the original zip files at the top of the image. I am running Tripmaster, Offroad, Suntime, and Skipwaypoint.

Having unzipped the files, I connected my Rider to the PC, opened TomTom Home application, and simply installed them using Home. The file cleanup.txt is the one that you need to create to allow Suntime to run automatically. I think that the webazar site explains where to put that using Windows explorer.

Hope this helps

Iain

Iain,
I just got around to trying your method above. Thanks mate, I had to browse and create the 'Content' folder in the home directory of 'My Docs' then I could use TT home to select and install the apps.

Result.:thumb2

Oh, and respect of course to the guys who wrote the code in Linux ( I hate that feckin' Penguin).

Back
Top Bottom