Poland

Steveremf

Anyone ridden through Poland recently, I need to get to Latvia and Poland is in the way. Maps on the net don,t give much of an idea of how good the roads are and I have heard reports of foriegn number plates being picked on for unofficial fines by the local police. Like all gossip these reports may un or half true but first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

I spent a week riding through Poland in May and despite hearing all the horror stories, I had no problem whatsoever - in fact I think I only saw 2 Police cars the whole time I was there.

The general quality of the older roads was poor (very often with pot-holes exactly on the line you wanted to take) which made you slow down a bit; but I found the quality of the driving nowhere near as bad as I'd been warned about before going. After nearly dropping the bike, I soon learnt the hard way that tram lines need to be crossed at a certain angle - keep it as close to 90 degrees as you can, especially when wet. :eek I did a long trip report for the local bike club newsletter, which you're welcome to if you want. Its on a Word document - if you want it, just PM me your e-mail address.

Its the same as anywhere I suppose - you go looking for trouble, and you'll find it, but personally I found the Poles very friendly (sometimes over friendly) and would like to go back there again. :thumb

My colleagues (German) warn me never to go there as I almost definitely get my car/bike swiped.

I haven't been yet so can't really say :nenau

Maybe they still have something against the Easterners :D

Thanks for the feedback, still undecided wether to ride through Poland, skirt round the little bit of Russia and then through Lithuania or just get a ferry from Rostock to Latvia. Travel times not to far apart but cost of ferry a fair bit more.

PM,d you Taff

Travelled through 23 countries in 2005 over a period of six months. Once outside Europe every country warned us about the next, and were surprised we'd survived the previous.

Take it all with a pinch of salt... go and enjoy :thumb

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

The inside lane is often for use (priority)of farm traffic, so no barreling around blind bends on the inside, as you may end up the arse of some bovine creature.
A red traffic light means caution to the locals. Coppers love hand held radar guns & pop out from behind bushes waving a school crossing lollipop. Don't speak to them in Polish (if you know how ) pretend you're a dumb foreigner...
Nice Country with nice friendly peeps, some of the women are "stunning" which really blew me (wrong choice of words there I'm afraid)....:eek:
Good cheap food & booze, so enjoy........:thumb

Unfortunately I won,t be stopping much in Polska, just barrelling on through but whats been said has made my mind up. Just need to get hold of a decent road map via the internet, anyone know of a map shop or website with eastern european maps for sale.

You my find traffic tailbacks at the border crossings of several kilometers, all trucks - just ride to the head of the line and you will find a booth for cars and bikes

I went through Poland to latvia last summer. I enjoyed poland . We went downthrough germany to czeck republick and then up poland south to north rather than west to east. The roads are often one lane either way with huge lorries mixing it with hay waggons and mafia spivs in mercs. The roads are heavily rutted and you can take two choices, sit in the middle of the ruts and plod along at 30/40 or sit on the white lines and face the bastards down at 80/100. Guess which option I took:eek: Dont be put of by the place, the lake district in the north east is great as are the mountains in the south. The old ex state run hotels rip you off but the smaller places can be a real bargain. Try visiting Pension teresa in the lake district. I followed a recomendation off this forum and had a great break there. I didnt bother with the stress of sorting a visa for kalininangrad, no one has a good word for the place.Take time to see poland, its not a shithole and is a worthy destination. (I didnt rate latvia,or was that lithuania? I forget.)Dont bother about a map, they are building roads over there so fast they are all out of date. I bought a small map at waterstones and it was fine. Pay attention to road works signs, especialy in latvia, they just dig the road up and run you for miles on base coat. I saw a sign but no road works so i barreled over a brow of a hill and there was no road:eek: :eek: :eek: The abs definately works!

Polish road

Did the Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia last summer on route to Russia. Agree with all the above about Polish roads. Can be very deep ruts, some almost need low gear to get out of and there seems to be three heavy goods to one car on the section from Berlin to Warsaw so watch out as they don’t give an inch. Some of the roadside truck repairs are a bit "rustic" :D There is a new section of toll motorway (see pic) on the way to Warsaw almost empty, good for eating a few miles and as good as any roads anywhere. Like most cities Warsaw at rush hour was grid locked and a GS loaded is a pig to filter. Once out of Warsaw the traffic was not to bad but still need to be careful. Border crossing Germany/Poland more or less a wave through, both Lithuania and Latvia borders minor stops but both checked the bike chassis/frame numbers against the reg docs so check they match your self before going, in fact check all your paperwork yourself before going. Are you stopping in Vilnius? Can recommend a good place to eat there are two prices on the menu normal portion and holy sh**t portions :eek: just make sure you’re hungry and the beer is good and cheap. Road from Latvian border to Riga was just a collection of short tarmac strips connected by road works last summer but probably ok this year. Have some hotels, maps, Garmin routes etc if you need anything also have a friend in Vilnius who would be glad to help and may be go for a run to Trakia Castle if you have time.

Attachments

• Polish Mway (Medium).JPG
    Polish Mway (Medium).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Trakia Castle (Medium).JPG
    Trakia Castle (Medium).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 216
  • P5220005 (Medium) (Medium) (Small).JPG
    P5220005 (Medium) (Medium) (Small).JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 215
Unfortunately I won,t be stopping much in Polska, just barrelling on through ... Just need to get hold of a decent road map via the internet, anyone know of a map shop or website with eastern european maps for sale.

I got the £4.99 Michelin map from STANFORDS.

Ted. Was that photo taken on the new road between Warsaw and Krakow? It looks very familar. :D

Hi Taff, Yep it was the new road was just following a load of traffic up a forest road then there it was could'nt beleve it hence the picture!
the road itself was great and as you can see hardly any traffic. Stopped at a service area for food etc and got some good cheap maps, food was ok all the usual stuff but again very quiet. I thing the toll was about £2 (11 PLN) and there were two sections. But it was a good way to cover ground as I needed to get from Berlin to Warsaw one day then Warsaw/Vilnius the next. Agree about Stanfords [URL="http://www.stanfords.co.uk/#"]http://http://www.stanfords.co.uk/#[/URL] for all things map related got me a genuine Russian atlas/roadmap that was invaluble. Cant remember where I spoted the wicker truck but it it even had a full length lowloader trailer as well.:mmmm :confused:

I have driven in Latvia several times (car) and I have to agree with the point about temporary road surfaces.
The toll road you mentioned in Poland Ted, what road was it?
I am planning to get to Liepaja, Latvia as quick as possible where I will meet up with family and spend a bit of time. I will then head north to the arctic circle via Estonia and originally Russia (but the more I learn and hear Finland is the better option)
Been on the Stanfords site and found exactly what I need, I am still considering buying a GPS unit like TomTom Rider but I am unsure wether all the places on my route would be covered.

The toll road runs for about 250kms from Nowy Tomyśl to Konin. You'll pass through 3 toll booths who will relieve you of 11PLN each.

The road from the border to Nowy Tomyśl is pretty crap and usually full of Lithuanian and Belorussian trucks playing wacky races. :eek:

The road/motorway is the A2 and as Chunky says watch the trucks:yikes
A GPS is usefull but the mapping is poor, the new Garmin V9 is supposed to be better for Poland and I found it usefull as a general direction tool particularly when negotiating busy cities as long as you know the general direction you will always be going to get there and just saves having to keep stopping to check a map in a busy street or road, once out of the city its a piece of cake.
There are some good deals on the old Garmin 2610 (do a search) a basic, fairly rugged unit and with a couple of cards can keep all your maps and routes on it. Hope that helps :thumb

I rode from Berlin to Posnan, then to Krakow, then Wroclaw, then Dresden. The roads were poor, especially on the main route Berlin/Warsaw, but the "Ladies of Horizontal Refreshment" at the laybys were nice to look at! :jibber

Back
Top Bottom