Black Forest

iaing

Reaction score
Heading for the Black Forest area in early June and am looking to probably stop in one location for 2 or 3 nights.

Any suggestions for somewhere with character and a bit of life to it?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for night clubs and lap dancers, just somewhere with some nice pubs etc :beer:

When I went through the Black Forest last, I stopped off at Baden Baden. Nice place with a bit of life. Can recommend the Lowenbrau bar for a meal out and a beer.

I would recommend the village of Titisee... nice little place, cheap and cheerful B&B's, and campsites....

titisee2.jpg

Going in June with a pal and meeting the wives who are flying out to Frankfurt for a trip round the Black Forest. We plan to see Heidleberg. Baden-Baden, Wolfach, Triberg and a night or two in Strasbourg before dropping the girls back off at the airport and heading back home. If you get held up by a Black 1150 and an Orange Tiger that's us so give us a wave on your way past!

Hi Cooperman,

If you fancy meeting up for a ride when you're in Baden-Baden or Strasbourg, please let me know. (I live between the two).

Hi Dave...will get back to you nearer the time if the girls just fancy a days shopping! In the meantime if you have any suggestions on unmissable sights/bars/restaurants, we'd be gratefull to be put in the right direction. Mike

One place I can recommend is Haslach. This is a typical Black Forest town, with a large cobble-stoned main square, flanked with timber-framed houses. There are many bars/restaurants in the square, and in the summer, everyone is outside.

If you do decide to visit, I can also wholeheartily recommend staying in the Hotel Storchen. They are a "Tourenfahrer" recommended hotel, are located right in the centre, have a proper secure garage for bikes, have an excellent restaurant and also "themed" rooms. They give a small discount for bikers and will also gie recommendations for rides in the area.

More info is at:

http://www.hotel-storchen.de/

For Haslach itself:

http://www.haslach.de/

Have a look under "Stadtrundgang" for 360 degree pictures of the old town - this is the main square mentioned above, also where the Hotel Storchen is located.

I unsuccessfully tried to book several Black Forest hotels in the first week of June , including Waldblick. I understand that its the local equivalent of half term that week so you'll probably find both the hotels and the roads a little less busy a week or two later.

Yip can reccomend Baden Baden lovely town with loads of places to eat and drink, including a McDonalds :D

Attachments

• LWD (14).JPG
    LWD (14).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 691
Don't worry too much. Most Germans are secret Anglophiles and take great delight in speaking English. Especially here in the South West, the people are really great and friendly and are used to tourists, being on the borders of France and Switzerland. (Don't try and speak French throughout though - you may get a different reception!)

Don't worry too much. Most Germans are secret Anglophiles and take great delight in speaking English. Especially here in the South West, the people are really great and friendly and are used to tourists, being on the borders of France and Switzerland. (Don't try and speak French throughout though - you may get a different reception!)

Hi Dave, I am thinking of heading this way in April. Whats the weather like at that time of year? Its just that april fits in nicely for time off work. Likewise for a mate. Thanks for any info.

Stuart.:beerjug:

Hi Stuart,

April can still be a bit unpredictable, especially in the higher areas, but no worse than the UK in April and generally warmer in the vallies. Above 1000m it's normally still cold, although since we haven't had a proper winter here yet, I have no idea what this April will be like. Last year there was still snow in April, but I doubt that will be the case this year.

The main advantage of the landscape here is that you can quickly escape the weather, either by changing from valley to mountain or vice-versa. It's also very common to be glorious sunshine on one side and p155ing it down on the other.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Hi Stuart,

April can still be a bit unpredictable, especially in the higher areas, but no worse than the UK in April and generally warmer in the vallies. Above 1000m it's normally still cold, although since we haven't had a proper winter here yet, I have no idea what this April will be like. Last year there was still snow in April, but I doubt that will be the case this year.

The main advantage of the landscape here is that you can quickly escape the weather, either by changing from valley to mountain or vice-versa. It's also very common to be glorious sunshine on one side and p155ing it down on the other.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks Dave.

I will probably be in touch again soon as I hope to book the ferries next week then start looking for some lodgings.

Cheers Stuart.:thumb :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom