Ukraine

Spider

Sorry Guys if this has been covered by previous threads, but I'm newly back to the forum.....:eek:

My brother and I are to ride to L'viv, Ukraine in June via Holland, Germany, Poland and Slovakia. We plan to return via Hungary, Czech Republic and Germany. Do any of you have any good tips - do's and don't's for the journey? FYI I have been as far as Krakow by bike before, but not quite as far east as Ukraine. I've studied the 'Long Way Round' DVD and the border at Ukraine appears a bit 'iffy', but that may have been because of their high-value equipment.

Grateful for any advice.....:D

Nice to know as I will be heading out that way, maybe on my lonesome too :nenau

We crossed into the Ukraine at a small backwater border coming from Transdneistria, and the guards tried really, really hard to rip us off. Obviously they failed, but it was fun pretending not to understand what they were going on about as they tried, getting increasingly frustrated at their own inability to make us rich foreighers understand what they wanted. Outside of that, the actual crossing itslef was just a formality really, and pretty quick - a bigger border will probably be fine.

We found the Ukrainains to be really friendly, even the countless police who will flag you down for speeding or whatever offence they can think of are chatty and interested. They will relieve you of cash though so take some small denominations. Some beautiful countryside too. I'd like to go back. :thumb

My mate does the Ukraine border a few times a year and it's a just luck of the draw as traffic can be very heavy at the main crossing points.

If your in a car! which he is will ask him what the score is.

As for LWR take it with a pinch of salt if you get a load of overly excited Yanks and planks with 2 way radios shouting at each other when they could just walk the 10 yards they're appart:blast.

Then the border guards get every right to have some fun...:thumb2

Went down to Moldovia via Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine earlier in the year. Fantastic trip, and no hassle at all except for the Transnistria border. Trip over the mountains from Krakow to Slovakia was really good, border there no problem at all. Border into Ukraine a bit more tricky. Went to Kosice and then onto the border. Figured the main road would be the best way but it turned out that the E50 border crossing is just for trucks only, had to turn round and go back to a little town few miles back up the road then turn off and come to a small border crossing. Queues can be horrendous. About 50 cars going to Ukraine and about 2mile tail back trying to get out the day i went. only took about 90minutes though. Just rode straight to the front and went and got all the paperwork done. Only hassle i had was from the guys with AKs sitting on the bike taking pictures. Make sure you have all the documents. They wanted to see everything, including insurance. Fact that they couldnt read a word of english helped in that as long as you told them it was all good they believed me. Ride through Ukraine was fantastic, got stopped by the cops a few times but they were friendly and didnt try and rob me. Stopped off in a village about 40km from the border and some old dear brought me a glass of lemonade since the shop was shut!
Came back through romania, Hungary and germany. Dont believe a word it says in your guide book about price of hotels/B&B's in hungary and Romania. Bloody rip off. One place in the guide book was meant to be 8Euro and they wanted 70.

I can confirm what the others have said above. The Ukraine border crossings can be slow, especially if there's a lot of traffic (one guy I met in the "no man's land" between Ukraine and Poland last year - on the way back from L'viv) told me it typically takes him 6 hours - he does the crossing once a year. People don't mind you jumping the queue on a bike and the officials may well wave you forward. There are also lots of touts offering a "fast track" route, where they'll direct traffic out of your way and due to a rapport with the border guards will open up an empty lane for you. This option costs between 10 ad 20 Euro.

Transnistria border crossing? Never again :spitfire

Hi Spider!

I have been there in 2005 and 2006.

My boarder crossings were close to L’viv (in and out) and from Moldowa (in; but not via Transnistria!) and to Slovakia. near Ushgorod (out) Each crossing took 30 to 60 min, because we passed all the lines of trucks and cars. Without passing by it would have been hours! I never had to pay a bribe in Ukraine, but in Moldowa. :spitfire

Have a stop at the town of Zamosc (UNESCO world heritage)! L’viv is great too. The Grand Hotel in the middle of the City is ok and has a secure parking in the yard.

On the way back I would prefer Slovakia and Czech Republic instead of Hungary. More scenic views and the Spissky hrad Castle. :thumb2

Do you like wine? The beautiful town of Eger in Hungary is famous for it’s read wine and the Tokay region is not far away. :beerjug:

If you have plenty of time (or an iron but), take the road to northern Romania. The Maramuresch Mountains are awesome: stunning views and stunning potholes. :eek:

Travel safe and enjoy!

Gunter

It's was all easy for us when we went , did Krakow to Kosice (Cos shit sa i think that's how we were told to pronounce it) turned off on to the back road at Spissky Harada (which was after Levoca which is quite nice for lunch) or whatever it was (castle on a hill) to go into Kosice and met quite a few friendly people along that road. Loved Kosice and have a feeling it would be a great place to be on a Thur/Fri or Sat night if you get the chance!

Kosice to Uzgorhod took an hour and a half I think to the crossing but sailed through there and also on the way back where we were waved to the front of the queues by car drivers. They do want to see everything, and you need to know where your stamped frame number is (not the plate) but I did have some banter with a serious looking customs guy when I offered to unlock my pannier for him to have a look. He waved his gun and asked whether Osama Bin Laden was in there otherwise he wasn't interested in looking!! :)

The fashions in Uzgorhod were awesome, lots of very attractive women walking around in beautiful dresses eating ice creams in the sun...lovely!!

Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom