SP3 Routes ???

cecilthecat

Reaction score
Help !!

I was tempted to upgrade from my Garmin Colormap and bought a SP3 today, I have loaded in the UK maps and went for a drive to see how the auto routing works.

Basically I'm not very impressed !!

The SP3 seems to draw a route using the pink line but this is not on the road and in some cases nowhere near it, is this correct ??.
Also It is telling me to turn left but the arrow is showing that I should head in the other direction ??
The last thing is that the accuracy of the routing seems to be fairly poor as it was telling me to turn right when there was no turning, and the road that I needed was about 1/4 of a mile further on, on the right.
Is there a setting that will improve the accuracy as it seems to be using the crapy basemap to plan and draw the route, but displays the map in full mapsource glory on the display.

Cheers

Simon

I only have a V but you may need to update the software within the GPS unit itself (downloadable from garmin.com). This definitely improves routing.

You should also download maps for the area you're riding/driving in as the base map is poor to say the least.

HTH

Adam

Go into the SPC III's set up menu - sounds like you've got the autorouting set to offroad set it to fastest or shortest depending on preference. (Also check routing preferences in Mapsource on your PC for same reason)
Auto routing is VERY good and turns are accurate to a few feet.
Play with it - you'll soon get the hang and enjoy your riding so much more
Sherpa ;)

You get straight lines from A to B if:

* the maps are not loaded correctly (use the USB programmer to load your memory card with the proper maps)

* the unit is on "direct route"

I'm sure it works fine, I've been using it for a year now, no problem!

Good luck,
Michel

OK I created a route on the PC and loaded this into the SP3 and this works fine. I then created a second route using the SP3 directly and this seems to just use the Basemap ?
I removed the card and reprogrammed all of the map data back in and it now seems to be working fine, very strange ??

Right now I just need to sell my streetpilot colourmap.

Back
Top Bottom