MOT Test Centre in Huddersfield?

Geordie Steve

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent place for bike tests, in or around Hudds? I've got a 1970s Honda 125 (sad I know!!) which I've nearly finished doing up & I'll be needing a ticket for it soon. It should pass the test easily, but it's got the usual 'design limitations' - marginal drum brakes, 6v electrics (horn & indicators don't tend to work until you get the revs up a bit) etc. etc.

So I'd prefer to take it somewhere where they're knowledgeable/understanding about bikes.... any ideas please???

Try... http://www.earnshaws.net/

They may be a tad on the expensive side, but they shouldn't be too busy at this time of year... they've always been helpful with me in the past during my sportsbike era... they will also be able to recommend somewhere less pricey if you ask...

Best of luck...:aidan

Thanks for that Sue - I hadn't even considered Earnshaw's coz someone told me they didn't do MOTs. I should've asked here first! :eek: Also I seem to remember that one of the guys who works there is a keen restorer of old jap bikes, so they should know what to expect.

I see you were moving house at the weekend? Hope it all went well - you'll have to let us know what your new local roads are like :thumb
Steve.

I see you were moving house at the weekend? Hope it all went well - you'll have to let us know what your new local roads are like :thumb
Steve.
No worries Steve... I'm sure Earnshaws will sort you out...:thumb2

As for the move, I spent the whole weekend in the attic, scrunched up and surrounded by rubbish.. ermmm memories...

The actual move happens on the 4th Feb.. so I've got aaaaaages yet..:mmmm :D

Don't envy you that task... I've still got a loft full of boxes that have been through two house moves in the last four years and still haven't been opened. I can't remember what's in them, but I think it's fair to say I don't really need it :D

Good luck with it anyway!!

Nearer than Huddersfield

My Honda XR400 got its MOT at a little industrial unit just off the main road between Honley and Brockholes - Not far from the 4X4 sales place

Bit more local that Earnshaws?

If you are want I can dig out the certificate and give you the full details

Thanks Swooper, I think I know the place you mean (I know where he 4x4 place is at any rate). Just up the road from me - I'll pop in and have a word with them next time I'm passing...

The river runs just behind those industrial units, so if it fails it's test I can just lob it in... :D

MOT

:rob Try Linfit Garage just off Manchester rd near Slaithwaite. never failed any of my bikes yet.

Thanks guys, Slaithwaite's nice & handy for me too.

Unfortunately I'm not as close to MOT time as I thought I was - had the top end off for a quick check to make sure all was well. As a result I now have new pushrods and valve guides on order :( and the bike's in a million bits all over the garage floor. Again. Still, I'd just get bored if I didn't have something to fix...

Anyone know of a decent engineering workshop in the area?? :D

alternative to Earnshaws

DC Motorcycles in Fartown are friendlier:)

MOTs at DC

They send the bikes to a place in Bradford and the bike is back at DCs by the afternoon usually Mondays. That arrangement doesn't cost any extra

Walter Green Ltd
MOT Testing while u Wait
Fearnought Garage
Thongsbridge
tel 01484 683134

Never been myself.

MOT at walter greens

It used to be great getting a British bike MOTd at Walter Greens, thowd lad would just like to hear it run. ("sounds like a proper bike, not like the Jap rubbish"), shame hes not still around.
The chap who does the MOTs behind the 4 x 4 centre runs a large Yammy and is very thorough, very fair though, Id recommend him.
:thumb
Hodge

Walter Green's haven't tested bikes for a couple of years AFAIK, since Terence Battye retired. His dad Norman did it before him and he was a real character who just admired the engineering of bikes (especially Bee-ems).He would pass them in 5 minutes and then spend another half hour talking about Brough Superiors and Scotts whilst the car drivers queued up outside fuming!

Cheers

Roger

That's a shame, he sounds like just the sort I'm looking for. Reminds me of the driving test examiner who gave me my full bike licence, back in the days when you had to ride round the block a few times. On my third & fourth lap he wasn't even looking at me, he was too busy chatting with an old dear in a shop doorway.. :D

And I had the nerve to boast to my mates about passing first time... :rolleyes:

Try Linfit Garage...NOT

I once took a VFR 800 to this garage, at the end of my road, and it failed on the brakes not being powerful enough.
The tester (the old guy..owner?) had never heard of linked brakes and did not know that the front brake had a mechanical linkage, requiring forward momentum to operate it fully.
So, it failed.
There was nothing wrong with the brakes at all and thus it passed at a proper motorcycle testing garage.
Try Earnies, and Jerry will talk to you for hours about 1970's 2-strokes and TDM's.