Anyone had a problem downloading update 6.11.6

JDH

Reaction score
Tried downloading this update to my pc and it just won't have it, stops about half-way through. So, thought I would try it on my laptop and this time it is giving a download time of 24 hours and rising:eek: so I aborted. Any advice as to what it could be please.

JDH

Any advice as to what it could be please
In my experience Garmin's download server is often on "go slow". Assuming that you don't have any problems with your connection / ISP, then I would assume that the problem's at Garmin's end (just tried it myself and am getting a 20 to 24KB/sec download speed which is pretty dismal on a 8Mbit/sec broadband connection). So... wait a few hours and try again, or try tomorrow, or the day after until you get a sensible download speed.

BTW, I take it that you've verified that 6.11.6 is appropriate for you? Others on this board have been mightily p*ssed off to have spent ages downloading 6.11.6 and then finding that it doesn't work on older (e.g. Win98, Me and NT) platforms.

Thanks for your help there, much obliged. I'll try again tonight. Have checked it is appropriate for my set-up, so fingers crossed:thumb

John

Try switching your download manager off, my Isp doesn't like overly large downloads,( just seems to have happened since I switched to 8meg) but this works everytime, with no detrimental affects..

You could also try turning off your Firewall, if installed, it sometimes causes problems on big downloads.

Try switching your download manager off, my Isp doesn't like overly large downloads,( just seems to have happened since I switched to 8meg) but this works everytime, with no detrimental affects..

Okay, like to give that a try, excuse my lack of knowledge but how do I switch it off:eek:

BTW, I take it that you've verified that 6.11.6 is appropriate for you? Others on this board have been mightily p*ssed off to have spent ages downloading 6.11.6 and then finding that it doesn't work on older (e.g. Win98, Me and NT) platforms.

From Garmin, here are the changes made for 6.11.6. Its file size is 44.4 MB and is estimated to take 2 hour(s), 49 minute(s) to download on a 56k modem.

1. This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows NT.
2. Fixed an issue with transferring map sets larger than 2 GB to units. MapSource supports transferring map sets up to 4 GB in size. Note that some units do not support map sets over 2 GB in size.
3. Fixed an issue with creating a waypoint from Japanese address search result.
4. Fixed an issue with MapSource not finding Google Earth Pro when installed.

From Garmin, here are the changes made for 6.11.6. Its file size is 44.4 MB and is estimated to take 2 hour(s), 49 minute(s) to download on a 56k modem.

1. This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows NT.
2. Fixed an issue with transferring map sets larger than 2 GB to units. MapSource supports transferring map sets up to 4 GB in size. Note that some units do not support map sets over 2 GB in size.
3. Fixed an issue with creating a waypoint from Japanese address search result.
4. Fixed an issue with MapSource not finding Google Earth Pro when installed.

Thanks for that mate, already aware but appreciate your help:thumb

John

Ctl,Alt and Del will bring up your Windows Task Manager, scroll down until you find dlbkbmgr.exe and dlbkmon.exe, highlight and click End Process, only switches off until you reboot.:thumb

Ctl,Alt and Del will bring up your Windows Task Manager, scroll down until you find dlbkbmgr.exe and dlbkmon.exe, highlight and click End Process, only switches off until you reboot.:thumb

Scrolled down and neither of those were in the list:nenau

In all honesty it does tell you right at the start that it's not for old MS Operating Systems, so no need to complain at Garmin but get that upgrade you know you've always wanted to spend out on:

Attachments

• garmin.jpg
    garmin.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 122
In all honesty it does tell you right at the start that it's not for old MS Operating Systems, so no need to complain at Garmin but get that upgrade you know you've always wanted to spend out on:

Brand new pc a month ago, the laptop I tried to download on is also new.

Something I didn't check yesterday, but are you doing the download via MapSource, i.e. Help>Check for Sofware Update... or using the direct download from Garmin.com? I ask because the second is a much more reliable approach than the former (as long as you click the "Save" rather than "Run" button on the download dialog). Once downloaded, just double-click the executable to install the new version of MapSource.

Also, if you want to check the download performance of your system (from ISP through to your PC) to verify that this is a problem unique to the MapSource download rather than a general performance problem, then I suggest using one of the many speed testers available such as Kbps. Just click on the "Autorun Speed Test" option in the main menu and it will give you the lowdown on what sort of up download and upload speeds you should be able to achieve on your connection.

Finally, I would not recommend disabling any Firewall you may have installed on your PC unless you are sat behind a hardware firewall.

I had six bites at it last night and chose the save option after starting it from Mapsource itself... at least it restartred from where it left off....

Kept falling over saying it lost the connection.

Something I didn't check yesterday, but are you doing the download via MapSource, i.e. Help>Check for Sofware Update... or using the direct download from Garmin.com? I ask because the second is a much more reliable approach than the former (as long as you click the "Save" rather than "Run" button on the download dialog). Once downloaded, just double-click the executable to install the new version of MapSource.

Also, if you want to check the download performance of your system (from ISP through to your PC) to verify that this is a problem unique to the MapSource download rather than a general performance problem, then I suggest using one of the many speed testers available such as Kbps. Just click on the "Autorun Speed Test" option in the main menu and it will give you the lowdown on what sort of up download and upload speeds you should be able to achieve on your connection.

Finally, I would not recommend disabling any Firewall you may have installed on your PC unless you are sat behind a hardware firewall.

Thanks very much for this info, I did try the direct download from Garmin but 'run' as opposed to 'save'. Going to try that one now.:thumb

I had six bites at it last night and chose the save option after starting it from Mapsource itself... at least it restartred from where it left off....

Kept falling over saying it lost the connection.

Paul,

Did you actually manage to download it?

John

I Just did it via Mapsource..

I Hadn't used the GPS for a while so hadn't checked for Mapsource updates 'til I saw this thread. Anyhow, I just did it via the Mapsource 'check for update' option. Went straight through in about 3 minutes. Maybe Sunday afternoon's a quiet time for their server...

If it's of interest (or relevant) I'm running XP Pro on a 4 year old HP Desktop, 4meg Broadband connection via Demon.

ST4S

Yep, finally managed to do mine with a little bit (ok a lot) of help.:eek:

John

Back
Top Bottom