GPS wiring on 1200 GSA

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
I have a query regarding wiring a GPS (zumo 550) on a 1200 GSA !
The bike is on order and I just got the Zumo. I would like to be able to switch the
GPS ‘docking base’on and off. I use bikes for commuting and so have no need for the GPS. I just noticed that the 1200 GSA has no power socket up front as standard. Any
Advice would be appreciated

REGARDS
Mike

I've seen in the 1200 GSA catalogue they do do a front socket option. But, have you looked a Touratechs instrument cover, that includes a socket that goes direct to the battery, and bypasses the can-bus?

Hi Mike
Hope this helps you there is a black plug in the wiring loom just to the left of the head stock with a cap fitted,if you see your local BMW dealer mines Williams(Very good don't believe the MCN) they maybe able to order you the power lead if the Zumos out yet,I run my Garmin Street Pilot III from it as recommended with no problems,power goes off 30 secs after ignition turned off and when you remove your unit just replace the plug and everything is safe again and it doesn't mess with the cambus.
All the best
Rob Gawthorpe.

I wired mine directly to the battery with an inline fuse, when I am not using it I remove the fuse.

Dear Lord Gawthorpe

What's wrong with a power socket on the left side of beaker fairing (pre-centred underneath for drilling a hole) as an option from BMW (standard on R1150GSA)? Surely it would be easier to plug and unplug with a plug available from BMW?

What advantage with your different set-up?

bmwbikeruk

Last edited:
thank,s for all your replies. The 12000 has no power socket up front like
the 1150. I had mine ordered before I spotted it !!

Thank's again Rob. Have you any more info on 'the plug in the wiring loom '

REGARDS
Mike

Back
Top Bottom