New addition

Thunder

Reaction score
Got myself sorted with something to tinker with and head off the beaten track in the form of a DRZ 400S which I know from reading the threads is a popular choice of other Tossers in one form or another.

2002, one owner with 1700 odd miles on the clock and never been near the dirt from the look of it so seems a good starting point.

P1231477-1.jpg

P1231475-1.jpg

Picking it up in a couple of weeks so busily gathering bits and pieces, have sorted out some decent tyres for off road and managed to find a pair of these going cheap for other occasions. :D

DSC00002.jpg

Have sorted out a new S?S output shaft spacer and case guards which seem to be recommended, but while I'm waiting any other must do additions which should be considered?

you'l love it... better than worrying about dropping a 1200:thumb

and light enough you can pick it up when you do drop it:D

You'll be giving Wiz a run for his money soon:)

hi thunder ...still riding the harley i hope ???

youll love your drz off road thet are very very tough and low maintanace

ive been using one now for three years it has taken amaxzing abuse ..never missed a beat ....

a few tips i hope these help you

for full on trail enduro type riding you will need to do a few mods

take off the plastick sprocket cover as they glog the sprocket with grass twigs ect and can trap stones

by pass the ignition cut out on the side stand it flaps off the stop when really bumpy and cuts the igntion at awkward times can be dangerouse
just use a scotch block to connect the wires permanantly

file the inside of the gear lever round you will feel a sharp chisel like edge on the inside ..stops daage to the crank case

bash plates is recomended ...the water pump housing is favorite to go without one

change the gearing to 13 47 priginal chain will fit ..it will transform the bike off road gets rid of that stutter at very low revs ie off the throttle to on quickly when you want to get the front wheel light [logs rocks ect ]the original gearing makes it stall ..also exelent for steep decents ..and as a plus takes off light a bat out hell you can chug along at 28mph in top too ..third will pull from about 8mph
it looks like youve got some road wheels so this would seem like agood way to go when in the muddy stuff no need to comprimise ...
l

downside it will be revving its nuts off at 65 plus but 50mph for the odd few miles between trails is all i need

upgrade your tool kit youll need a tiny alan key to get the radiator cap off should you be unfortunate to need to

fit tyre clamps run your off road tyres at about 13 front 15back as a comprimise if its really soft and snotty with no rocks 10 and 12 psi is no problem[with clamps ] be carful if its mixed terrain you can get compreesion puncture if you go to low

carry a spare front tube if will inflate the rear in a emergancy ..when you get your tyres put them on yourself to practice for puncture repairs
when the leading edges get very round turn the tyre round for more grip /milage

fit renthal bars the originals are made out of cheese and bend easy
wrap round brush guards are a must carry spare brake and clutch levers

the connectors behind the battery housing corrode quickly silicone them

aggresive tyres a must ..there lots out there kenda trackmasters are as cheap as chips and are very very good off road..they plant the front end really well so you can play with the rear a lot

put a auxilery swith for the headlamp so you can leave it off on the trail
if you get really bogged down and keep stalling you could lose your starter
cos of the drain

regular oil changes go in hours rather than miles ive spent a whole morning doing three miles i do it around 50 hours

hope this helps youll have a ball enjoy ....

regards steve :thumb

Attachments

• drz.jpg
    drz.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 251
Roger, that garage looks like a Chop Shop :eek: nice bike though :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom