K1200R

paddy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I am a GS'er at heart but I have the same problem as Nick Marshall.

So I just picked up a K12R. WOW. Don't yet no much of its skills but first thoughts blow my socks off. It might not having the GS12's rode presence but itsa weapon alright.

Any other tossers own one or ridden one.?

Not the K1200R, but I have the K1200S. It's a missile!!:D Still got the GS as well though.

Yep awesome fully agree. Fitted an Acro can to mine which made it feel and sound even better
BUT
(I know the throttle goes two ways) just too much power for every day use and the wet greasy roads we have for so much of the time.Its like an angry Rotweiller straining at the leash just begging for you to let it go
If you are a fair weather biker or lucky enough like Bob to have it as a second bike great, its a fantastic bike but I want to rack up milage and get out on my bike whatever the weather and not be tempted to cash in my licence so...being realistic.......back on a GS again and enjoying it.
Sometimes the grass is greener and you don't appreciate how good your bike really is until you change it!
4th time back on a GS, I really should learn
Paddy enjoy it...safetly!

I took one for a test ride a few months ago and it certainly is a quick bugger then i bought a ZZR14, now that is Fast!.....Still miss my GS though so going to buy another this year maybe a GSA12. Keepin the Zed though!!!!!!:)

I bought one! Had an 1150 GS and a 1200, but reallymissed the straight 4 smoothness and power, and the ability to overtake ANYTHING without thinking. I will admit, it has taken me a long time to really get into it. I fing the steering slow compared to the GS family and the wind blast was an issue. Have now sorted that with an MRA Vario screen, which is brilliant for less than £100. Have found a cheap mod to sharpen up the steering , from Sandbar Composites.
The clutch is quite heavy as well, so looking to put an EVOLUTIONISE slave cyclinder on. About £150, and supposed to improve it by 20%.
The gearbox is up to the usual BMW standard ie notchy, but other than that, i think it looks like the mutts nuts and still makes me smile when i open the garage door.
There is a good site (not as good as this one!)...just do a Google search under k1200s or R and you should find it.
Finally, i'm going to add some KTM 950 handguards...look pretty cool and should save a bit of windblast.

Off to the Pyrenees with Tobers on his KTM 959 Adventure and a mate on his 950 supermoto in June..should be ann intersting comparison!!

RichieS

Oh Yeah. Yellow is the ONLY colour to have!

I did a "run what u brung" last year on the K1200 R, what an amazing bike, very easy to ride fast, it did a 11.1 at 131mph. You can just see my "go faster mod" twist the mirrors flat for streamlining.

If you have a quick bike, I can really recommended it for a cheap day out, one run I was up against a fully blown Hyabusa drag bike, he took off so fast I thought he must have taken a flying start.

BMW_K1200R.jpg

Borrowed a k1200R for a couple of days when my 1200GSA went in for some warranty work.Loads of grunt unusual looks ,the one i had w.as fitted with twin BOS carbon cans,sounded amazing.Don`t know how long the back tyre would last though.Happy to get my GS back

Me Too!

Hi

Bought one two weeks ago. Very impressed with the ESA, not so impressed with the brakes. Sounds well with Akro can.

Interesting ride home on the M6, temperature hovering above zero. So exited/nervous that I was half way home and moaning about how cold hands etc. where before I remembered it has heated grips Doh! :blast

love the bike

Ed

Well I am a GS'er at heart but I have the same problem as Nick Marshall.

So I just picked up a K12R. WOW. Don't yet no much of its skills but first thoughts blow my socks off. It might not having the GS12's rode presence but itsa weapon alright.

Any other tossers own one or ridden one.?

Enjoying Mine, traded the GS for one in the summer, then bought another GS for the winter, be nice to get back out on it, when it warms up of course :cool:

Piccy at Donnington
NVC_6686.jpg

Oh and had it fettled with:
K12RMOD_V_STOCK.jpg

Enjoying Mine, traded the GS for one in the summer, then bought another GS for the winter, be nice to get back out on it, when it warms up of course :cool:

Piccy at Donnington
NVC_6686.jpg

Oh and had it fettled with:
K12RMOD_V_STOCK.jpg

What exactly did you have fettled? Filters?Zorst?
Just ordered a set of evolutionise filters for mine.....that should release some power!:bounce1

What exactly did you have fettled? Filters?Zorst?
Just ordered a set of evolutionise filters for mine.....that should release some power!:bounce1
I've got twin BMC filters in mine, but have heard nothing for praise for the Evo kit,an Akra SP end can, and a Dimsport RapidBike 3 unit.

Mines still on v6 software, primarily got the Dimsport to sort the fuelling, which it did very well, and the extra 20bhp :nenau 'spose it all helps :D

Edit: Site for fitting dual Evo's
http://jocke.selincite.com/bikes/evoluzione-race-filters

Last edited:
just a small fiddle...

Just added evolutonise filter to my K12R. Make a great difference, and sounds awesome at between 6-8000 revs.:thumb

Just ordered a Sandbar 'dogbone' to raise the ride height, to improve steering. Watch this space for updates:bounce1

Richie

Is there a way to lower the pegs at all?

I love the bike but just find the leg position too cramped.

Back
Top Bottom