Borders trail

BGF

Reaction score
After the Tibbie Shiels lunch meeting I went south on the B709 ... and saw this sign;
282503_375958f2.jpg

Looking at the OS map the road/track leads back to Tibbie Shiels Inn ... Anyone tried it:nenau
map (B709 is the orange road on the right)

I do the B709 on a regular basis (in the summer on my 1200 RT) but have never noticed that sign. Looking at the map that short-cut looks like it joins up with the Southern Upland Trail which I would assume is a "no no" for motorised vehicles (like every other blooooody trail in Scotland).

An old drove road?

Would be interesting to take a look. The Southern Upland way passes by the Tibbieshiels so that's probably part of it. Just turn left as you leave the car park instead of turning right! Anyone for walking it as a recce? Swap bikes either end and meet in the middle?

Been there, done that (on a BSA B40)
Its basically a forest track with some big puddles. The dodgy bridge looked fine and I've ridden past the farmer and several hill walkers who didn't bat an eye lid. I was told that its still a public road and maintained by the cooncil (hence the sign)
Phil

Nice one Phil. I'll give it a go next time I'm down that way.
BTW I didn't take the photo, it's from www.geograph.co.uk where they're trying to get a photo from every OS grid square for the whole UK. There's a couple more photos of the 'road' on that site;
125859_8abcb197.jpg

148320_e1cb30e3.jpg

OK. Bin that idea!

Thanks for the info. If the bridge is OK I'll take the bike and leave the walking shoes at home!

Howdy - first post!..

I found myself down in this area today, and decided to take a looksee..

The track is fine, it's a touch muddy at the bottom of the hill on the west end where the farmer has kept cows, and has placed a feeder near to the track (heaps of cow poo on an uphill corner == very slippery), I found some of the grassy parts are pretty slippy too, but then that's what I get for heading up there with road tyres :rolleyes:

The bridge was no bother at all. I was more worried about the coo poo.

Cheers,
Mike

I remember that,I've been down that on my old KDX 125...good fun and the bridge? none to speak off as I can remember...just mud!

Yep, definitely looks like a route to explore further when I'm next down that way.

dunard

I remember that,I've been down that on my old KDX 125...good fun and the bridge? none to speak off as I can remember...just mud!

I don't see any intro post Icequeen but welcome to the site. Obviously a discerning biker.

Your profile says:-

Does it matter ?

Not really but there are an awful lot of nosy people in here.:)

hindsight.......Did you turn onto the main road at the Glen caf. or did you carry on along the the Southern Upland route.

hindsight.......Did you turn onto the main road at the Glen caf. or did you carry on along the the Southern Upland route.

Being unfamilar with the area, I'm not sure which point you mean.. Drop me an email (see my profile) and we can discuss...

Went on the route today aka road to hell very soft in places also grassy very slippery not ideal route in Febuary when grass is damp and slippery, be a nice route in summer when it dries up. Maybe some of you more experienced guys would love it, but I found if a very cheek tightening time :confused:
never seen the bridge :nenau

Attachments

• bmw1copy.jpg
    bmw1copy.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 265
  • bmw1 (3)copy.jpg
    bmw1 (3)copy.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 261
  • bmw1 (4)copy.jpg
    bmw1 (4)copy.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 336
Brilliant. :hapybnce:
Good on you for posting it, never mind wildlife pictures, that gets my vote for picture of the month :thumb

Had one been dabbling with his front brake just before said incident:rolleyes:

The more you fall the better ye get at it:thumb2

Falling that is:D

large cat

Had one been dabbling with his front brake just before said incident:rolleyes:

The more you fall the better ye get at it:thumb2

no never touched front brake,:Catrun believe it or not a panther or large black cat about the size of an alastian dog run across in front off me clipping the front wheel:rolleyes:

HONESTLY ask the small pixie that was having a picnic next to track he seen it too

passed a GS1200 at ST Marys loch heading towards Moffat, was that you ?

Yip that was my Hologram I use it whilst I'm up here fitting windscreens to give myself a wee bit of R&R

No you wouldn't have seen me anyway if it was me on the Stealth bike:thumb

You would think the government would do something about Puma's etc and those wee pixie bistards:rob
What we paying all these tax's for I ask:mad:

Aye it was a good day for a run on the Borders roads.

Managed the longest outing since the op on my hand. Still no way near full strength but I enjoyed myself.

Reckon I now deserve a beer ... :beer:

Kai :D

Aye it was a good day for a run on the Borders roads.

Managed the longest outing since the op on my hand. Still no way near full strength but I enjoyed myself.

Reckon I now deserve a beer ... :beer:

Kai :D

you were nae aroond ST Marys Loch today were you Kai

Back
Top Bottom