aprilia RXV 550

Yes, and the 450. Look gorgeous when they're clean, look just like any other dirt bike when you ride them through a bog.
Moving back on the seat is odd, as the rear widens to accomodate the exhausts. Moving forwards is a doddle, front is very skinny. Suspension seems nice and balanced, the ones I tried were both set up for heavier riders than me, but weren't too harsh. Motor is very willing indeed, didn't have room to get any higher than third (short MX track) but flew out of corners like a two stroke. Almost an ideal comprimise between a two and a four stroke.
Note I said almost.
Finding grip on a slippery surface was a job for Rossi, not mere mortals. The engine is just a bit too willing, and the fuelling is instant. You think about twisting the grip, and the tyre lights up. 550 was marginally better than the 450, and a 450 with a single pipe was marginally better than that.
Two of my mates rode them in the last WOR, and they didn't enjoy the experience. In dry conditions they would be a great tool, don't know how reliable they will be long term though. I have heard that a different throttle cam makes a huge difference, but have yet to see the reality.
If you are really interested, I can get you up close and personal with one, but it will have to be mid to late February.
Mark

mmm.

thanks mark, i've been offered one with loads of extras for well under book but having spoken to steve from wor today i'm having doubts. its the instant throttle thing that worries me as i intend to do alot of wor events. this one is fitted with the 07 thottle which is meant to make thing more controlable and i'm told if you short shift early this makes it easyier but i don't want to end up with something thats unrideable. have either of your mates tryed the 07 model and at what level do they ride, i know steve's mental fast but that could be the issue as he's a bit keen on the gas.
it's a sexy lookin thing though.:thumb

They aren't unrideable, but I wouldn't have liked to have been on one at that last event. Now something open and flowing would be an entirely different basket of fish. I managed 4 laps on my Honda, I think I might have struggled to do 3 on the 'prilla. I wouldn't mind doing a rally on one, that would be a laugh. Like I said, best thing is to get a ride on one and see what you think.
Mark

mutley.

yep, sure is dude. i've wiped a bit of dust off it today with my arse. i've spent most of my life making my bikes mental so maybe its time to do a bit of reverse engineering and slow one down.:thumb2

Ooh I like that too. I was admiring it just the other day. They're affering an Akro system and £1k off before you start haggling :bounce1

The only thing is who you have to buy it off. The sales people in there know nothing about the bikes. When I looked at a KTM Adventure the old git said 'it's 10 times the bike a GS is'. I walked out and bought a GS :D I wouldn't trust them to service the RXV once you've bought it :nono

Mutley, god himself won't be able to service it after syco's ridden it :D :D :D

thats rich

K-off flipfly. not to long ago i remember a GSer standing in my garage pouring oil into his 1150, now what was it he said...... oh yeh thats it "fookin hell its got a big sump, i've put half a gallon in this fooker an it hasn't even started to show on the spyglass yet" my reply was simple "well phil it would help if yer put the sump plug back in":rolleyes:
I also remember it was me who looked after your dirtbikes, remember the washing, oiling, and all the other shitty jobs you couldn't be arsed to do. anyway come round and clean your Gasser will yer cos its messin up my shed. Little secret for you, 3inches of mud doesn't protect it you know.:aidan

Back
Top Bottom