Comms setup r1150 gs adventure

• Thread starter Peat's Adventure
  • Start date

Peat's Adventure

Hi one and all

for all those who are contemplating a comms set up thought I would post mine.

Autocom Pro-7-Sport (bike mounted and powered)
Kenwood TK-3207 (powered by Autocom, mounted in top box)
MP3 player (Mounted in top box)
Mobile Phone (Mounted in top box)
PMR Aerial (Mounted to top box lid)
All associated cabling

Anyone interested PM me with your e-mail and I will send you photo's

Shiney side up

Pete

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 511
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 511
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 508
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 508
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 509
Excuse my thickness but does that set up give bike to bike and bike to passenger comms, if so how much did it cost / bike

Excuse my thickness but does that set up give bike to bike and bike to passenger comms, if so how much did it cost / bike

Yes it does give bike to bike and bike to passenger communication. Depending on which way you go, what you buy etc etc you would be looking at around £300 - £400. My setup cost me about £340

The external aerial is illegal and I would strongly suggest not bike powering the (fake) Kenwood TK3207 before it puts too much strain on your system for it to blow up which we have seen in the past.

Rich@Autocom

Rick,

Putting aside that the TK-3207 is illegal for use in the UK and Europe, can you tell me what current the transceiver draws compared to the TK-3201 and what the Autocom ProRider Kit 3 2006 can provide?

Is it borderline or will the Autocom always pop?

Another too, Peat's Adventure, as you appear to have used what looks like a whip from the PMR446 for your Top Box mounted antenna, have you checked the Standing Wave Ratio of the Radio to Antenna? What did you manage to get?

Maplin do a duel band 2m / 70cm mini magmount that gives excellent SWR, but there is a lack of anything to mag it to .... it also gives about 1.4:1 on PMR446. Thing is, my TK-3201 doesn't have a detachable antenna!!

Mean Biker.
Spoke to ken @ ken-godwin.com, told him my spec and what we wanted and he sent me the correct aerial to suit my application. Give him a call very helpful

Thanks Peat's Adventure ...... that one's just got added to my favourites.

Now what I need is a £5 spares and repairs TK-3207, which I'll strip and swap over the aerial mounting arrangements with my TK-3201. Sorry but I do love to play. Just don't want to risk drawing too much current from the autocom to go straight for the TK-3207. I take it you didn't have a problem then?

Let's face it, there will be nothing 'fake' about the TK-3207 (as some say), its probably made by Kenwood for third party suppliers outside of Europe.

Peat's I will let you know on that one, I need to speak with the techies.

Luke, to keep within the PMR law the transceivers need to be ran on a 0.5 watt and running external aeriels will seem like you are wanting to boost your signal. If the Police see you they will have you. Most PMR radios have fixed aerials, a real Kenwood will not allow a seperate aerial to be used. If you remove the aerial the chances are you will break the radio itself

Meanbiker, fake Kenwoods beleive what you will but Kenwood do not support the model and do NOT make the model if you do not beleive me phone Kenwood direct yourself! If the TK3207 was a REAL Kenwood why are there a lot of court orders going out to the people selling them for copyright etc.

Rich

Meanbiker, fake Kenwoods beleive what you will but Kenwood do not support the model and do NOT make the model if you do not beleive me phone Kenwood direct yourself! If the TK3207 was a REAL Kenwood why are there a lot of court orders going out to the people selling them for copyright etc.

Rich you may well be right but my search didn't find this. It did find that the Programming Software KPG-87D from Kenwood works with it thus solving the reported preprogramming problems.

Luke, to keep within the PMR law the transceivers need to be ran on a 0.5 watt and running external aeriels will seem like you are wanting to boost your signal. If the Police see you they will have you. Most PMR radios have fixed aerials, a real Kenwood will not allow a seperate aerial to be used. If you remove the aerial the chances are you will break the radio itself

The current UK regulations stipulate 500mW and a FIXED aerial so as not to cause interference to adjacent channel users. Increasing your Effective Radiated Power through increasing either the power output of the radio or having a better antenna with a higher gain inevitably increases your transmitted bandwidth. The channel spacing on PMR446 is 6.25Khz, i.e. very close and thus regardless of your CTCSS / Tone Squelch settings, higher power will undoubtedly cause interference to others at times.

......... on the other hand, if you are up in the lake district miles from others, other than your friends bike, it is a little better than the line of sight that PMR446 usually gives you.

In so far as the Police are concerned, I would say 99% of them don't know what PMR446 is, would probably think it was some form of CB and wouldn't know what legislation, if any, applied. The likelyhood is you would be sent on your way.

The majority of Kenwood Transceivers in the real world of radio do come with detatchable aerials and it is only the PMR446 legislation that is making them produce radios with fixed aerials. It is likely that someone will successfully mod the TK-3201 in the future, but I wouldn't suggest you start disconnecting a fixed aerial unless you know what you are doing.

I'd still be interested to know what's the maximum curent the Autocom will provide

Not at all, I am going from what we have been told by Kenwood UK and from our customers have told us, so the 3207's might be real then from the links but they will need reprograming to allow for them to be used within the UK.

Luke, to keep within the PMR law the transceivers need to be ran on a 0.5 watt and running external aeriels will seem like you are wanting to boost your signal. If the Police see you they will have you.

I have to assume that UK traffic officers like their Irish ones would have no interest in trying to waste the courts time in prosecuting you for a pmr offence. Imagine the judges face when the cop tells him " He had an aerial on his motorbike" :aidan

I was only stating that external aerials are agianst the law and giving a warning to people that might not know!!!!

Had to put a power supply in my top box for last summers trips/tours but as I like to take the box off now and then fitted a screw on connector from Maplins. Just unscrew plug and the box and all the gear goes with it. You can get the connecter with up to 5 seperate pins, I just had the two, +/- to power a camera battery and phone charger when on the move. An aerial and a power lead on the top box would have been to tempting for some of the "out of the way" spots i stopped at:green gri

Attachments

• DSCN0627 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0627 (Medium).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0628 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0628 (Medium).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0632 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0632 (Medium).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 261
I have to assume that UK traffic officers like their Irish ones would have no interest in trying to waste the courts time in prosecuting you for a pmr offence. Imagine the judges face when the cop tells him " He had an aerial on his motorbike" :aidan

Not the police, its the Home Office. I guess you may be suprised at how many prosecusions there are each year for illegal radio equipment. I got cought in 1978 and its still on file as a crimanl prosecution that I have to disclose every time I make a job application.

Back
Top Bottom