Merzouga to Fez - too far for one day?

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Er, like is says on the tin!
Autumn 2007 buddy and I will be leaving Mo's place in Merzouga to head back North.
Buddy is concerned trip to Fez is asking too much for one day. He may have a point given that we won't make too early a start as we need to ride camels back for breakfast.
Would welcome thoughts.
If it is too far, any recommendations for a hotel South of Fez that doesn't leave too long for next day's trip up to ferry?

Thanks

Simon

Er, like is says on the tin!
Autumn 2007 buddy and I will be leaving Mo's place in Merzouga to head back North.
Buddy is concerned trip to Fez is asking too much for one day. He may have a point given that we won't make too early a start as we need to ride camels back for breakfast.
Would welcome thoughts.
If it is too far, any recommendations for a hotel South of Fez that doesn't leave too long for next day's trip up to ferry?

Thanks

Simon

Ask GREG MASTERS :hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce:

a walk to the shops :augie

Bladerunner....a few of us are going next year and although i've not been before already done quite a bit of research/planning etc.

From Merzouga to Fes via the canyon of Ziz and the magnificent Talgam pass (1907 m) will be around 490km and a bit optimistic IMHO...try an overnight stop in Midelt
in between the "High Atlas" and the "Middle Atlas"...

If you like riding and knocking of the miles you'll enjoying doing that trip in a day.... great roads for making progress on a GS.

Greg and I did the trip from Ceuta to Erfoud (near Merzouga) via Katma and Fez in a day... and Erfoud to Ceuta via a more direct route on the way back in a day.

I'd recomend doing that in day every time... it's got to be done for the sense of acheivment

In 2003 we did Erfoud to Marbella in Spain in a day.... 480 miles :eek:

It was a big day though, I would say Merzouga to Fez in a day wouldn't be a problem even if you leave mid morning.

Like the man says - no problem to do this in a day, Moha (Assuming you are staying at the Mohayout) will do things according to your schedule, if you do the luxury tented night, rather than the deep desert camp ,he can get you back to the hotel in 10 minutes and have breakfat waiting for you and on the bikes for 7.45 am !

I would agree with Midelt suggestion , it is an amazing place - Swiss chalets in North Africa .... ! It breaks the journey nicely and the ride down in the morning as you leave is just heaven!

Have a ball ..... Steve

Thanks for all this

Any hotel recommendations in Midelt?

I have already inked in Gite Ras el ma near Azrou on way down as that little bit of the mid Atlas does look very nice.

As you say, some long days are good to give you the sense of acheivement. If we don't cover good mileage, we'll not have time to see the tanneries of Fez, which would be a shame.

Any other GSERS out there Sept 16-30th 2007?

Simon

The roads from Merzouga to Fes are quick and you'll easily do it in a day if you put your head down.

I certainly wouldn't stop in Midelt (or especially Zaida). I stayed in the best hotel in Midelt a couple of weeks ago and found there were bed bugs!

I think 'Nuffsaid is referring to Ifrane, not Midelt.

Tim

hi from desert

My name is youssef (guide of desert). I can say that 1 day is sufficient(self-important) to leave of fes to merzouga. because of fes in merzouga it is between 350km 450 km. Thus it is very possible to cross it in 1 day, later you can take dromedary before the sunset to spend at night under the tent nomads in one oasis in the middle of the dunes of sand.
youssef_ramlia@hotmail.com
good travel

There is a good camp site that also Has a number of Rooms which are basic but clean.
The site is Just North of Midelt on the N13.
Entrance looks like this.
Picture2061.jpg

In 2003 we did Erfoud to Marbella in Spain in a day.... 480 miles :eek:

It was a big day though, I would say Merzouga to Fez in a day wouldn't be a problem even if you leave mid morning.

Just make sure that you arrive at the McDonalds in Fes when the young manageress is on duty!

:eyebrow

Greg

PS It's an easy day's ride!

206951-M-1.jpg

Thanks

Looks like I will be able to talk him into going one hit all the way to Fez.

Is the traffic lighter during Ramadan? Or are they all cranky due to hunger that standards fall below the normal exceptional high?;)

Thanks

Looks like I will be able to talk him into going one hit all the way to Fez.

Is the traffic lighter during Ramadan? Or are they all cranky due to hunger that standards fall below the normal exceptional high?;)

Don't know but I'm sure traffic will not be a problem.... This is a great journey, real GS roads where you can crack on knowing your on the best bike for the job.... you'll love doing it in a day

Doh ...!

The roads from Merzouga to Fes are quick and you'll easily do it in a day if you put your head down.

I certainly wouldn't stop in Midelt (or especially Zaida). I stayed in the best hotel in Midelt a couple of weeks ago and found there were bed bugs!

I think 'Nuffsaid is referring to Ifrane, not Midelt.

Tim

Tim - you are right of course .... Ifrane is where I meant!

Midelt: budget hotel recommendation

Hi
I used this hotel in January. It's not in the guide books

It is basic and budget but clean with en-suite rooms and plenty of hot water. Good breakfast available. Cold in January , I was glad of my sleeping bag and a couple of hotel blankets!
Very friendly and helpful owner who is keen to promote his establishment. It has a large garage for secure car and bike parking.

Hotel Massira
11 Rue des Ancians Combatants. On the Errachidia side of town , Just after the Gendarmerie and Law Courts, turn left at a cafe, the hotel sign should be visible.

David

I'm pretty sure the photo shown by Dazzer is of Tanout, a 4x4 centre which is about 20+km north of Midelt. I don't have access to Mapsource at the moment but the GPS coords I have are N31 58.413, W6 33.857

It's one of several that will be added to the Knowledgebase shortly.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom