French autoroutes: anyone used a liber-t tag?

miffolump

I'm planning on doing a trip to France later this year, and have come across a tag that can be attached to the bike that allows me to go through the automatic barrier at the toll booths.

I don't plan on using the autoroutes much, but I must say this seems much better than fumbling around for cash at each stop.

Has anyone got any experience of these tags, and where do I get one from?

I'm planning on doing a trip to France later this year, and have come across a tag that can be attached to the bike that allows me to go through the automatic barrier at the toll booths.

I don't plan on using the autoroutes much, but I must say this seems much better than fumbling around for cash at each stop.

If the 'tag' you mean is the large chunk of plastic and metal that fits on the windscreen of a car then yes I have one!
This allows me to go through the auto barriers and I pay by direct debit once a month. Unfortunately it isn't for bikes and when I asked there were no plans to make it so.
I could of course use it but would pay the same as the car.

Shenzi

I've not seen one of the liber-t devices, but it sounds like it might be too big to fit to a bike?

Some time ago I saw a small(ish) sticker with the autoroute symbol attached to the windscreen of a Goldwing, when I asked the guy what it was for he said it was to get him through the automatic barriers of the toll booths. Is this the same thing?

Shenzi

I've not seen one of the liber-t devices, but it sounds like it might be too big to fit to a bike?

Some time ago I saw a small(ish) sticker with the autoroute symbol attached to the windscreen of a Goldwing, when I asked the guy what it was for he said it was to get him through the automatic barriers of the toll booths. Is this the same thing?

You could probably stick the thing somewhere but why would you when you have to pay car rates? I think the guy with the Goldwing was taking the p*ss. As Steptoe says, give them your credit card, at the moment that is the easiest option for a bike.
When I spoke to the Autoroute people thay said they had no plans for making anything available for bikes, I understand this as everyone would buy them and use them for trucks etc.

I wasn't 100% sure that such a thing existed for bikes, and I think the replies so far have pretty much confirmed that it doesn't!

if you use your credit card and the police decide to run a check on timings and such they can just charge a fine to your card if they find you have been speeding,this could happen after you get home and the first you will know about it is when you get your card statement.i have to agree though it is the easiest and quickest way to pay the tolls.just a heads up for those people who drive at high speeds.which i never do :angel :augie

if you use your credit card and the police decide to run a check on timings and such they can just charge a fine to your card if they find you have been speeding,this could happen after you get home and the first you will know about it is when you get your card statement.i have to agree though it is the easiest and quickest way to pay the tolls.just a heads up for those people who drive at high speeds.which i never do :angel :augie

Interesting, can anyone confirm this. I've never heard of anyone being fined via a credit card taken for toll payment.

Sounds like an urban legend to me :)

I've never seen a bike go through the auto payment lane at the tolls :nenau

Interesting, can anyone confirm this. I've never heard of anyone being fined via a credit card taken for toll payment.

Sounds like an urban legend to me :)

you could be right whatton,never seen it done myself but i have read or heard about it more than once.not wanting to scare monger,just putting all the information out there.

Shenzi

Sounds to me as though he had bought the €40 pass to be allowed to use the Swiss Motorway network. You get hassle every time you cross a border into Switzerland. I have had to detail my route from St Julien to Geneva airport (10 miles) using normal roads in order to avoid paying it.

you could be right whatton,never seen it done myself but i have read or heard about it more than once.not wanting to scare monger,just putting all the information out there.

the question is has anyone had this happen to them? not a friend of a friend. I don't believe it for a minute, the motorways are private property in France and if they are giving information to anyone they could be in the doodaa, even if it is the police, they would have to give a reason to need the information. There's more than one stretch of motorway (and other roads) where the locals race the TGV, I've not heard any of them tell me they get done everytime!

I didnt get hassled on the Swiss borders although to be honest the path through was clear. I think they had been busy with checking trucks so i was waved through every time...Guess Im just lucky! ;)

Utter utter bollocks!

Liber-T

If the 'tag' you mean is the large chunk of plastic and metal that fits on the windscreen of a car then yes I have one!
This allows me to go through the auto barriers and I pay by direct debit once a month. Unfortunately it isn't for bikes and when I asked there were no plans to make it so.
I could of course use it but would pay the same as the car.

The Liber-T now includes bikes, seems like a good idea - does anyone use them and are they hassle free:confused:

Category 5 (motorcycles) Motorcycles should always use the lanes manned by personnel in order to benefit from reduced tariffs. The toll for a category 1 vehicle is charged if the fully automatic lanes are used

The advantages at a glance:
  • No French giro account needed
  • No stopping at toll stations
  • Stress-free driving in France
  • No cash necessary
  • Tolls are conveniently booked from your credit card
  • Accepted throughout the entire French toll road network.*
  • No tiresome asking for vouchers at the toll station.
  • A statement of account for all your vehicles (no individual receipt per toll station)
  • Simple and convenient settlement of toll payments
  • Right-hand drive vehicles: no awkward payment over the passenger
  • Parking without cash in many parking blocks

Back
Top Bottom