Moroccan pistes: GPS not essential - more time to enjoy the view

Two wheels good

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd like to mention a couple of great pistes I rode in Morocco which I didn't see mentioned here when I was doing my research pre-trip.
I think they are particularly worth considering because they're not as rough and rocky as other popular pistes (e.g. Telouet and Nkob), are suitable for a laden GS (R100GS in my case), are feasible without GPS and I think could be tackled by a novice - with all the usual precautions and preparation of course.

Piste 1. Mecissi - Oum Jrane - Zagora. (Mecissi is between Alnif and Rissani)

I was advised to avoid the first section of the Merzouga to Zagora piste because of deep sand and a wide river crossing and the isolation of the piste. The following alternative was suggested instead by a very helpful staff member at the hotel in Merzuoga.

The route:
At Mecissi there is the Auberge Tomboctu and a petrol station.
Just west of the petrol station turn off onto the piste.
After a couple of kilometres bear right i.e. west, towards the telecomms mast on the hill - 3km. (NB. This is probably the most crucial direction.)
Continue south to Tazoulait, then Bou-Dib (10km), then Fezou (12km). New electricity poles flank the route.
Oum Jrane - 35 km
- Half way along this stretch there are some abandoned buildings over to west (i.e right). Ignore them, keep left, to the east.
- At Oum Jrane you're on the Merzouga - Zagora piste.
Now heading west, Tissimoumime - 11 km, Iminwassif (not on the Michelin map), Tizi n Tafilalet
Approching the Draa Valley - lots of tracks, a bit confusing. Keep left i.e South or South West. Bearing right i.e North or North-West leads to the valley too but would probably miss Zagora and there's a large area of deep sand near a (dry) oued.
Closer still to Zagora, amongst the farms and concrete roads, again keep left i.e. South\South West. I was again prompted to bear North-West for some reason which was wrong. Asking a local for direction soon put me right.
Total 160 kms approx (without a rambler in sight!)

A few comments:
There are lots of people about to check directions; except for the long section between Fezzou and Oum Jrane but I did eventually find a couple of goat herders to reassure me.
There is a very basic auberge in Oum Jrane and petrol (in drums) is available in the village.
The kids in Oum Jrane have developed a much more persuasive variation on the demands for a dirham or a bon-bon. They ask the tourist to buy a football. 30Dh for a plastic football - a more lucrative strategy too. I bet every house in the village has a (by now punctured) football.

Piste 2 Agouim (between Tizi-n-Tichka and Ouarzazate) to Aoulouz (South of Tizi-n-Test)
The great benefit of this piste is that it is a convenient southern link between the two famous Tizi's. It gave me one of my most memorable day's riding - ever! Approx 100km on the piste followed by the climb to Tizi-n_Test with the sun behind me and then sweeping down to the plains of Marrakesh - to arrive at rush hour...in the dark! Yikes!

There are a number of turn-offs for the piste sign-posted in Agouim. They all seem to lead to the same main piste. At Sour, I was advised to take the northern piste via Tiourar and Assarag instead of the southern route via Ait Kallia just because the piste was better. Just looking at the Michelin map the southern piste seems more isolated.

A lot of the route is wide and graded - it's plied by minibuses serving the towns along the way and Lac d'Ifni. (Having subsequently seen a photo of the lake I wish I'd taken a side-trip to see it.) The terrain is hilly - it is the foothills of the High Atlas, and very scenic , the cultivated banks of the river below in the valley and the mountain peaks above. Plenty of cafes along the way.

I hope this might be useful to other riders. Don't feel you need GPS to tackle a long piste.
Thanks for the all the other useful Maroc info I picked up here.

David

That's excellent info:thumb

Last autumn I met a young woman in Marrakech who had just ridden the piste you describe from Mecissi to Zagora.

It looks to be a good alternative to miss out the sandy area east towards Rissani for a GS.

We may ride the piste you describe from Agouim to Aoulouz in April, although in the reverse direction, but may start from Taliouine.

...and you are right about not needing a GPS

Thanks for the write-up, David. I've done the extreme west of that piste over the Tizi-n-Tafilalet. When you were in the vicinity of Iminwassif did you see any sign of a sealed road heading north?

I like the sound of the Agouim to Aoulouz piste. It's a good way to get around the country without a huge detour. I was very close to Lac d'Ifni when I did Jebel Toubkal, but you can't actually see it from the top.

Timolgra: if you are going to Taliouine you should try Auberge Souktana. It's run by Michelle, the friend of a French friend, and gets a good write-up in Rough Guide. GPS N30 31.546 W7 54.309

Tim

Timolgra: if you are going to Taliouine you should try Auberge Souktana. It's run by Michelle, the friend of a French friend, and gets a good write-up in Rough Guide. GPS N30 31.546 W7 54.309

Tim

Thanks Tim.
I have stayed in Taliouine several times but cannot remember the name of the place.
It's around 1Km out of town to the east, just before the garage on the left.
The rooms are pretty new and basic, but bikes can be parked right next to them so handy if any repairs etc. need to be done.
Also lovely views of sunrise which I'm sure you appreciate:)

Perhaps it's the same place you mention, I've made a note and will check:thumb

piste to Tazzarine

Tim
In the vicinity of Iminwassif or Tizi-n-T. I remember a piste heading north to Tazzarine; clearly visible climbing the low hills to the north of the Zagora piste. It's definitely piste though. Maybe it's "godron" closer to Tazzarine.

From looking at the Michelin map I'd say the piste I remember is the western one, closer to Tizi.
If you're referring to the N122 via Ait Menad; I didn't ride it - next time, inshallah. But had I seen any tarmac I'm sure I'd remember it!

David

hi from desert of morroco

i know well these tracks of the South:
Merzouga taous ramlia oumjrane tissemoumine zagoura.= 250 km
Other track it is mssissi - lahfira- oum jrane tissmoumine - zagoura.
i live en village of ramlia ( from merzouga to zagoura).
if you need some information about these piste contacte me:
youssef_ramlia@hotmail.com

hi from desert of morroco

yes , messici is betwen rissani and alnif

Tim

Great Auberge to stay in. Either ensuite within the main building or rooms with shared shower/toilet facilities in the grounds. I had the latter - cheaper and very comfortable. Food is great. Ahmad Jadid is both extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He is a mountain guide. Wife Michelle also very helpful. Highly recommended.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom