Gear problems

Mark Sansby

Anyone had any problems with the bike coming out of top gear?

Has happened a few times now. Accelerating through the gears, into top (E), 50 - 100yds later revs rise then drops into 5th.

The bike is a 2001 model 'GS, 12700 miles, overdrive 'box, Remus, 'Y' and K&N filter.

:confused:

A mate is due to have a new gearbox fitted in a couple of weeks to his late 2002 model 1150 GS as it keeps slipping out of 2nd gear under load (last time 2 up midway round a roundabout ) - not at all funny!!!
Sherpa;)

Mark Sansby said:
Anyone had any problems with the bike coming out of top gear?

Has happened a few times now. Accelerating through the gears, into top (E), 50 - 100yds later revs rise then drops into 5th.

Used to happen with mine. Quite common, unless you're really positive about the change up from 5th. Pre-load the pedal and always use the clutch.

Seem to remember previous Thread which suggested removing and cleaning Gear lever assembly. Friend did this and it cured problem.

My GS has jumps out of 6th gear now and again and has done so for 48,000 miles. Dealer blamed me. Can be riding down a motorway and suddenly changes down to 5th.

Did 450 miles this weekend. In the first 200 it came out of top 3 times. All one major roads where i'd been in top for at least a mile.

Didn't do it at all after first leg of journey.

Strange . . . . . .

I'm going to see what 'Ocean' have to say, as it's still under their warranty.

if it is the linkage, they should clean it (shouldn't they?);)

I've never had this happen. I always change up (& down) very positively, preloading the gear selector and using the clutch. This is a legacy from riding airheads for many years when I was a plod. Gearboxes these days? Ye don't know yer born!:p

Seriously, though, if the gear linkage is clean and adjusted (I don't really think this is the problem - it'd more likely lead to a notchy & difficult change) and you are using a positive and deliberate action when changing, with the clutch, I'd recommend you get the dealer to check it out......

Mike:)

The gearchange has a longer throw from 5th to 6th. As the other guys have said you need to be positive about the shift. Mine used to drop out a lot until I twigged what was going on. Started to think about making sure it was in 6th and since then no problems until I got some cack in the linkage and then it started again. Cleaned out and re-greased the ball joints and the problem went away. :D

Back
Top Bottom