insurance in Americas

IrishKev

Hi Guys/Girls

Well am new here, cant believe i didnt find this forum before! really great site. Hi

I am planning on setting off on a trip from New York to The bottom of South America leaving mid june. I am based in Dublin Ireland, so the bike will have an Irish reg plate.
Wee problem is the Insurance, current policy is with AXA through AON, but they dont extend foreign coverage (outside EU)
I am sure there are plent of you guys that have ridden in the Americas. Was wondering what you did for cover? Just TPFT is enough, any personal injuys covered under health :D

So basically do you know anyone who will Insure an Irish 1200GS in North, Central and South America for the next year (ish) :aidan

Howya Kev and welcome.

Try the Horizons Unlimited website which should have just the info you are looking for. Link here.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Where are you intending to visit?

Hi IrishKev

As Aiden says, the Horisons website is the bible! If the info isn't there it probably doesn't exist!!!Post a question and you will probably receive a reply from someone in the middle of the same trip who can tell you realtime their experiences. Its a bit like an international UKGSER for on the roaders!

I have no experience of North or Central America. More experienced travellers than I will be along shortly to give you pointers. For what its worth, insurance in South America is more a comfort blanket rather than a reality. It is very unlikely that you will find a company willing to offer even basic bike insurance and even then it may not be worth the paper its written on!

Carnets are not required in South America so that is one major problem off the ticking list.

If you have not already got a copy , I would highly recommend Grant and Susan Johnston's DVD "The Acheivable Dream" ( order from Horizons unlimited website.........Grant and Susan started the site) It is a veritable goldmine of information on travelling by bike. You will watch it once and then rewind to view again and again each time with a notebook beside you!!

Sounds like a dream trip.:beerjug: When do you head off?

Liam

eclectic said:
For what its worth, insurance in South America is more a comfort blanket rather than a reality. It is very unlikely that you will find a company willing to offer even basic bike insurance and even then it may not be worth the paper its written on!
Hi Kev

It's now compulsory in Argentina and (I think) Chile. I'd post a link to the relevant bit on HU but the bulletin board's down at the moment. Basically, you have to buy it once you're out there.

Your local contact for S. America is Joe The Celt. He's pooterless at the moment but it'd be well worth your while getting in touch. :thumb2

Regards, Mick :beerjug:

Heya all,

Right guess i gotta check out horizons in more detail! and sort the insurance when we are out there. I heard somewhere that Harley do some deals for the states, will have to check them out.
As for Dublin, well i am kinda both, living Dublin 1 now. . so Northsider, but born and bread on the Southsider. So i guess the Rugby in Croker next week isnt really a problem for me ! :D

And yeah off in June once i finalise the shipping details from Dublin, (almost completed). Bit of admin to do between now and then .. and appartantly a dvd to order!

Plan is to take in every country on the way probably excluding Brazil, there are a few must sees like Tikal, Macha Pichu, Igasau falls, then i believe a bit of glacier climbing in Ushuaia is in order also!

Of course will keep you all informed.

Cheers for the info.

You could try HC Travel.

He organised my insurance for North America at a pretty good rate and no hassles.

:thumb2

thanks guys for the tips, think i have a few different companies who can quote me now. Just got to fill out the forms and send them off! :aidan

Hi Kev,

We're at present travelling in South America and have had no problems (so far) with no bike insurance. Picked up the bike from the airport in Santiago and just rode. Crossed into Argentina and bought minimal insurance for a month. Since then we've crossed from Argentina to Chile countless times with no insurance being asked for.

With regard to personal insurance, we use World Nomads, which cover you if you're riding a bike (not all insurance companies do).

Any questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Cheers, Hamish

www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/hameandem/

SA insurance

Kev,

Just purchased the equivalent of 3rd party insurance which covers Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia, Peru and I think Paraguay, from Mapfre, a Chilean company. 60,000 pesos for 6 months cover - about 60 quid. They're on-line, don't have the web address with me, do a search, probably mapfre.cl or something similar. Alternatively, pay them a visit upon arrival.

Hope this helps,
Hamish:beerjug:

what do you want to insure yourself for?

- theft?
- 3rd party damage
- own damage?

the reason I ask is that the mapfre insurance IIRC only covers very little (both in scope and in amounts) ... the one I have (legally obliged) maxes out at U$10,000.- overall max

also afaik in chile there is no full-coverage insurance for bikes, you might want to check out with some international insurances that give you global coverage, as hassle-ing with a s-american comp's is not always a nice experience - esp. if you dont speak spanish....they just might hang up on you... :)

if you need anything else, just drop me a line @ "a bu dsch itz@ yah oo. com" (w/out spaces)

... I gladly will help out

cheers
al

Back
Top Bottom