New Real 3D GPS mapping - no joke

Mike Werner

Cloggie amongst Frogs
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
September will see the first GPS models equipped with 3DLabs 3D display. Very nifty, almost like riding a video game.

Is this Zumo 1000 ??

3DLabs' 3D GPS

There's a link to a french site with a video. have a look.... interesting !!

Does anyone know who might actually doing that building surveying? I doubt if it exists in any non-trivial sense. Can't see that it is in Tele-Atlas or Navteqs interest to do the legwork, perhaps it's being derived from some other data?
I have a vested interest as I'm working on guidance for the blind using GPS, and sub-street level data like that is like gold dust.

Does anyone know who might actually doing that building surveying? I doubt if it exists in any non-trivial sense. Can't see that it is in Tele-Atlas or Navteqs interest to do the legwork, perhaps it's being derived from some other data?
I have a vested interest as I'm working on guidance for the blind using GPS, and sub-street level data like that is like gold dust.

It's probably why they used Paris, since they've already mapped the whole city for the Yellow pages (internet version). Then, I presume, they're using maybe Google's city 3D maps from Google Earth.

I stick with the 2d view for the time being.
Just imagine a tall building on the right sight of the pic below, how much could I see of my route?

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 232
September will see the first GPS models equipped with 3DLabs 3D display. Very nifty, almost like riding a video game.

Is this Zumo 1000 ??

3DLabs' 3D GPS

There's a link to a french site with a video. have a look.... interesting !!

Very interesting.

This will be a excellent step forward for gps but who would take such a big step like this.

Garmin or tomtom

Can't wait to find out.

I seen a better version on tv from Japan, they have had these for a couple of years now,.
they can plot shops and departments in buildings and give parking locations etc,
We are a few years beind them yet.

Attachments

• augpsphone.jpg
    augpsphone.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 204
But why?.... i cant see the need for it myself true 3d mapping. Sure if it was an option for free on my GPs I might give it a go but certainly wouldnt go out to search for it...... Tomtom is good enough i think

OK folks, time to waste a lot of time.... now I know why they used Paris as demo.

Have a look at This Site. It's the French yellow pages. They've made photos of every building and house in Paris and burbs, did a 3D modelling job, married it to satellite images (not Google's), and now you can do a drive through of Paris in 3D....

You'll need a shockplayer extension for it. Amazing stuff....

As somebody else said, this has been available in Japan for a number of years.
As well as buildings it also includes landmarks and advertising signage.

Processors in GPS need to be faster and the mapping supplier needs to collect a lot more information.

Actually I would rather the mapping companies put their effort into ensuring all rural roads are complete and accurate than going this mainly cosmetic direction.

Back
Top Bottom