Alps in May?

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I thinking of riding down to the Alps for a couple of weeks. A belated celebration for turning 40.

Is May a good time weather-wise.

Many of the Alpine passes will still be closed in May

Many of the Alpine passes will still be closed in May

And some ski resorts will still be open at the beginning of May. I have skiied in Tignes / Val d'Isere in May. You will be able to get to the resorts but not through the Alpine passes (into Italy via the Col d'Iseran for example).

If the past two years is anything to go by, there will be more snow on the ground in May than in February.

I thinking of riding down to the Alps for a couple of weeks. A belated celebration for turning 40.

Is May a good time weather-wise.

Not a good time to do the Alps most passes closed and cold but a superb time to do Provence, the gorges and Mt Ventoux. Maybe the Ardeche on the way back. Quiet enough to enjoy, busy enough to see everything.

I'm planning to go to the Dolomites/ Slovenia in mid may via the Alps, Looks like it'll be via the low passes.

Baz

july, me :)

pick up the missus in zurich, then up in the mountains for a few days :thumb2

Arrived in the alps on 22 May last year. Rode all the passes in the dolomites, and roads were clear. Austria all passes were open early june. but grossglockner closed.Also Been to french alps early june, and all passes were open except for col d'Iseran, which was still blocked by snow.

If weather will continue like now, I think there will be no poblems. I live in the middle of the Dolomites and there is NO snow, temperatures are very high for the season, between -1 (night) and 13-14 during the day. Celsios obviously :)

Anyway there is a far possibility of late snow......we hope.

Two summers ago, mid June - 3 attemps on Grossglockner - so it can't be guessed I guess:confused:

If weather will continue like now, I think there will be no poblems. I live in the middle of the Dolomites and there is NO snow, temperatures are very high for the season, between -1 (night) and 13-14 during the day. Celsios obviously :)

Anyway there is a far possibility of late snow......we hope.

Hi Huey,

sorry for the thread hijack - remember recommending Hotel Penserhof to me last year? Well we went and it was, shall we say, a strange but highly enjoyable experiance. PM or email me 638dge (at) tiscali (dot) co (dot) uk and I'll tell you the story.

Cheers
Dave

I have just got back from austria and whilst there I visited slovenia and italy ,going over a fairly small pass. The point being that this was the end of february and even fairly low passes are supposed to be shut. This year theres a lot less snow about and by may it might have all gone!The end of may is a great time to visit the alps and if some of the high passes are still shut theres plenty of others.

Back
Top Bottom