forgive my ignorance...

LiquidLAN

Reaction score
but a mate of mine is looking to buy a Honda CRF450, he seems to think he'll be able to use it for all sorts including maybe a run to Spain or Assen :)nenau), he's seen a few on ebay and often asks my opinion, there are a couple of things that neither of us fully understand...

1. these bikes seem to get their oil and filter changed after every run - why??? I know its got to be good for the engine, but really after every run?

2. whats required for a bike to be road legal, I'm assuming it has to have at least a break light and a speedo and full lights if you are using it after dark.

I'm sure there are other questions, but the oil is the thing thats got me foxed at the mo

Hi John

could it be that your mate's Honda CRF450 is a KTM wannabee? :nenau
These orange things like their oil changed rather often too:augie :D

(standing by for an orange pelting :D )

It'd be a long hard ride to Assen on a CRF 450. I would'nt like to tackle it.

As for the oil.

Big single's tend to give the engine oil a hard time & there is not a lot of it in 4stroke motox style bikes, hence it needs to be changed fairly frequently.

:)

Cheers guys, that explains a lot.

I know what you mean about long distance on one of these I've been trying to talk him into an Africa Twin, but he's not having it... figure get him back on any two wheels and he'll upgrade from there...

I think its all a cost per use thing with him at the moment...

Forget riding a CRF or any other MX/Enduro bike any distance as they just won't take it. They are not designed to be ridden with the throttle at constant speeds like a road bike but are designed to be ranted on varying throttle openings. Ride a CRF on the road from Glos to Spain and the likely hood is it'll be shrapnal before it reaches the :nono coast

dirtbike need it

I wouldn't go near a dirt bike that hasn't had very regular oil. the honda has the gear and engine oil seperated. look at what oils been used, must be high grade fully synth. and good grade gear oil. as for a big ride these engines are not designed to be held at one throttle position, many people find this with ktms and burgs. engines of this ilk are designed to be hard on the gas or off this is why so many burgs end up at preston having a rebuild when motarded for the road. you'd be better with anything with an old style ktm lump. designed for dakar need i say more.:thumb

what he needs is a mt 500 Armstrong :rob
a mate 28 stone rode one down from donny to southern Spain and back
good load carrying fuel consumption crap had to carry a jerry can about 40 to the gall he said oh yes abs front brake :eek: small drum
but fun it did the job well :hide

Back
Top Bottom