Libyan Desert Challenge

Vern

Toy maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
As some of you know,Phil Gunn is out there at the moment,competing in this rally.

I just logged onto the site,and it seems the rally has been cancelled,because of some problem with the visas into Libya.That's a long way to go to come home again:(

www.ldc-rallye.com

God, how gutted would you be after all the effort he's put into this!

Hope they at least refund the entry fees... not that will be much help with shipping and airfares...

As some of you know,Phil Gunn is out there at the moment,competing in this rally.

I just logged onto the site,and it seems the rally has been cancelled,because of some problem with the visas into Libya.That's a long way to go to come home again:(

www.ldc-rallye.com

My mate was doing it (Karim) and it's been cancelled due to extortionate visa fees that they tried to impose at the last minute. Greedy bu**ers. He was told a day or so before he was due to fly out.

I believe the organisers are trying to get the lads onto the Toureg? Rally instead in Morocco later this month.
Nightmare by the sound of it trying to get all the kit back, not to mention all the work that went into the prep.:mad:

Damn... I was so excited about it to see the HP2 in the real conditions and I think where it's best suited for - rallye. Fekked up event is nothing surprising tho, Alzerian and Libyan authorities have always been wierdos throughout last 2 decades. There're guides needed for tourist travelling around with their vehicles etc etc formalities, Dakar-Cairo rallye stage cancelings is a living example from the past.

I hope Phil recovers from their mishap soon! Some serious amount of preparation work lost into thin air indeed...

dudes

everything happens for a reason....Lets hope he can go hard for the hp2's in morrocco. Can anyone reccomend a battery for my hp2, it wont start.....first time ever,apart from the bastard side stand issue...

Lads i'm still here

bike is in ( Take your pick )
a - waiting for a boat from tunisia - to Marseille (Today)
b-waiting for a boat for Genova italy (Friday)
c - waiting on a boat 14th mar tunisia to marseile

riders kit and tools - havent got a clue

paid for this event LDC between bike prep and Entry 7500 euro
have now signed up for the Tuareg rally starts 17 March ( st paddys day )
in Almeria in Spain another shed load of money and paperwork

I noticed there are 3 other HP2's entered ( 4 in total ) also about 4 KTM 950's

tuareg-rallye.com/ and you will find the entry list

ps the latest gem , is that the organiser on the way from Libya to Tunis has holed the tank on the Toyota land cruiser and will not miss the ferry

only 9 days to departure from spain

waiting with high blood pressur

pg

But apart from all that,are you having a good time:rolleyes:

Keep us posted if you can.

Good luck with it all:beerjug:

Bloody hell Phil...what a bummer!!!

Good luck with it and I hope you get to ride somewhere out of the mess that it all sounds to be!

:)

What bad news & not fair. I hope the organizers manage to sort you all out soon and don't leave things unanswered. I was looking forward to watching your progress and especially you whipping those KTM950's :D . Here's hoping it all sorts itself out very soon.

Desert Challenge

Phil,

Bad luck mate, hope you can get all your gear sorted for the next one!

Get yourself a beer, It'll all work out!

Cheers, Rick.

Just to add a bit of color

here is a pic of the bike as last i saw it

Attachments

• hp2incrate.jpg
    hp2incrate.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 593
Desert Rat Gunner

Phil,
Looks like Liam has forgotten to fit the front wheel...
All the best with the re-organised rally.
Take it easy in Spain for a few weeks.
Pat.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

HP2 Shipping crate.

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about the mess in Libya. Phil, that shipping crate you have there for the HP2, where can I get one? I'll be moving my bike around abit and I want a good sturdy permanent case for the bike and a spare set of wheels. Any help much appreicated.

Thanks

Muzz:thumb2

Crate & Taureg rally

Just back for the Taureg rally , that crate is part of a French logistics company CAT that moves bikes europe

also re liam

He was flown out of Morocco with a dislocated hip and is awaiting a operation in limerick at present

when i get a bit of rest I will post some photos and comments from the Taureg rally

pg

Nuff rest now Phil? :)

I see some very good results there, 2nd spot in the class. HP2 was in the 1st spot too so quite dominated the 2 cylinder class?

Motorbike Two Cylinder

Start.Nr Platz Stunden Minuten Nador-Missor Missor- Mersouga Umrundung Königsetappe Dünnenrenne Mersouga- Missor Missor-Nador Spanien
240 Joachim Frey 1 35 46 00:42 06:41 00:05:20 00:02:53 00:02:34 08:19 09:10 00:04
236 Gunn Philip 2 36 52 00:28 06:22 00:03:46 00:03:05 00:07:00 06:52 09:12 00:04
243 Marcus Paul 3 54 49 00:45 07:10 00:08:01 00:05:04 00:17:06 07:25 09:11 00:04
242 Johnny Norrild 4 58 39 00:34 07:35 00:10:05 00:05:58 00:16:17 08:17 09:46 00:04
241 Alexander Seitz 5 81 53 00:34 07:10 00:10:30 00:08:20 00:21:00 15:10 19:00 00:08
211 Nespoli Franco 6 86 42 00:43 11:50 00:10:30 00:08:20 00:21:00 15:10 19:00 00:08

not too shabby

the top 3 places in the class were HP's
it seems the top heavy weight kills the ktm's in deep sand ?

if you want i could post some pics if intrested

pg

Back
Top Bottom