ipod to zumo

speedo

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can transfer my ipod music to my garmin zumo.Somebody told me you can convert itunes to mp3 format any advice im no rocket scientist when it comes to stuff like this.:aidan

Does anyone know how I can transfer my ipod music to my garmin zumo.Somebody told me you can convert itunes to mp3 format any advice im no rocket scientist when it comes to stuff like this.:aidan

It took me a while to find a decent piece (ie. free :) ) of software that could do this. I use the basic version of Switch - nothing fancy but does a good job without fuss. You can download it here:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

you only need the basic version to go from the Apple format - mpeg4/aac - to MP3 format.

Peter

It took me a while to find a decent piece (ie. free :) ) of software that could do this. I use the basic version of Switch - nothing fancy but does a good job without fuss. You can download it here:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

you only need the basic version to go from the Apple format - mpeg4/aac - to MP3 format.

Peter

Thanks peter I will try this.::thumb

Using iTunes (I'm using version 7)

1. Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing -> Import using -> MP3 Encoder
  2. Hit Ok to close dialogue.
  3. Now select the tracks that you want to convert and right click and select Convert selection to MP3
  4. Once convereted, locate the files and put them on your Zumo

Using iTunes (I'm using version 7)

1. Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing -> Import using -> MP3 Encoder
  2. Hit Ok to close dialogue.
  3. Now select the tracks that you want to convert and right click and select Convert selection to MP3
  4. Once convereted, locate the files and put them on your Zumo

Ok that sounds easy but what do i do to get it on to the zumo or what else do i need.:aidan

Ok that sounds easy but what do i do to get it on to the zumo or what else do i need.:aidan
You just need the manual that came with the Zumo - it'll tell you in there. I'd type it all out here for you from the manual but it's tucked away in it's box and I can't be arse extending my arm to reach it. Sorry.

Thanks Speedo Your the man. I couldn't figure out how to change aac music into mp3s. And now i know thanks to you. O'Bisss

If you bought the tracks from the itunes store, I suspect it may be more difficult due to Digitial Rights stuff - unless their is software to crack it. If you just used itunes to rips the CDs, then it should be OK.

If its stuff you bought from the Apple Store you can always convert tracks to MP3 by burning a CD as an Audio CD and ripping it back - if you see what I mean. Long winded way of doing it and there's probably software out there that'll do it but its been ok for me when I needed to do it.

Speedo, I'd suggest that when compiling your music you keep it split into lots of directories with about 20 tracks, or an album, in each.

When the Zumo starts up it scans the music to build its list. For some reason if all the mp3s are in a single directory it takes more 'processor power' and the unit then doesn't draw the map or navigate. When I had 630 tracks in a single directory it took over 2 mins before it would draw the road and navigate. Split them into multiple directories with 20 tracks in each and it now takes about 30 seconds.

Also reduce the quality to 128bit. You'll not hear the difference on the bike, but will save space.

You can drag and drop straight into the Zumo sd card. Once you have done so check that all the formats say MP3. If not then use the convert function function as shown above. You will have problems converting protected files downloaded from Itunes but if you go to : www.allofmp3.com the tracks can be downloaded again at minimal cost in MP3 format.

Back
Top Bottom