The Flood...

Pumpy

That's short for Pumpernickel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Spring is coming to Oxfordshire - and it is bringing not only warmth and colour to the countryside but also water, lots and lots of water...

This morning on the way to work - River Cherwell from the Ring Road
134586043-M.jpg

134586211-M.jpg

Lunchtime walk by the Oxford Canal
134586486-M.jpg

Quite a difference in water levels at the lock
134586770-M.jpg

This looks rather tempting to ride... :augie No, no, I'm a good girl... :nono
134586995-M.jpg

Growth & Decay
134587266-M.jpg

Noticed that Spring makes it a lot easier to actually leave your desk on time (for a change... :rolleyes: )

The Cherwell near the Satellite Earth Station and Gibraltar (A4095)
134587395-M.jpg

134588147-M.jpg

View towards Enslow Bridge
134587699-M.jpg

The Oxonian Everglades
134587956-M.jpg

Lower Street in Islip
134588428-M.jpg

I quite fancied to give it a go but a lovely local lady mentioned the water would be 3-4 foot deep in places - oh well... :mmmm
134588294-M.jpg

River cottages don't have cellars, right?
134588587-M.jpg

But a swimming pool at their doorstep...
134589105-M.jpg

View from the other end of the street
134589235-M.jpg

Apparently the flooding happens every year and the road stays like that for 2-3 weeks...
134589636-M.jpg

I wonder what the ford at Drayton St Leonhard currently looks like -

Watch this space... :D

Hey! that little track in the "The Cherwell near the Satellite Earth Station and Gibraltar (A4095)" leads to my friends Rachel and Andy's old place. The guy who owns Smiths (the truck firm) lives just above in the B-I-G house.

That river shot is amazing. I remember (just) some very drunken parties and swimming in the river in the summer... It weren't that high then!

Hey! that little track in the "The Cherwell near the Satellite Earth Station and Gibraltar (A4095)" leads to my friends Rachel and Andy's old place. The guy who owns Smiths (the truck firm) lives just above in the B-I-G house.

That river shot is amazing. I remember (just) some very drunken parties and swimming in the river in the summer... It weren't that high then!

I have, in the past, driven a Landrover up that bit of river. It wasn't quite so deep then tho. If you were a subscriber of the Landrover magazine back in the 90's you'd have a load of photos of me winching it out ...

Ah, right, mine too. I'm a Head Office Policy wonk. Shh don't tell anyone.

Yikes! Too close to home! We've just built a dirty-great new website for the Environment Agency and SNIFFER all about WFD70. Small world... :D

Amazing about that Landie and the river - that's proper low!

Yikes! Too close to home! We've just built a dirty-great new website for the Environment Agency and SNIFFER all about WFD70. Small world... :D

Amazing about that Landie and the river - that's proper low!

Ah that was you was it?! Were you dealing with my good mate Elliot Robertson in SNIFFER? Yeah, our money is good isn't it - if you're a contractor that is ...

Tha landrover went in just downstream of the bridge on the LH side (looking downstream). There's a much shallower channel there - just above door sill height IIRC. We basically threw it in at speed to clear the bank, and kept the motor running - it was fine. They wanted pics of us winching the thing out and up the bank, again no prob as we had the high rated lectric winch on the front.

Great motors those old 110 TDi pick-ups, as long as you didn't rely on any of the electrics to work ...

How's the thumb BTW?

Nin

It was indeed, although our main point of contact was Gina Martin. Jim - my business partner - did most of the work on the site. They were too tight to pay for proper site-structuring, usability and copywriting! :D

Thumb is coming on apace - although I still can't work a clutch lever properly. But by the time I get down to NOG to pick up the Red Baron again I should be OK... Here's hoping anyway!

Hi Mark, glad that your thumb is improving slowly. :thumb2 (was it this one...?)

The Cherwell is recovering, too - today the water level had fallen again
134751953-M.jpg

What would Gibraltar be without its Rock? (btw, is the pub any good?)
134752106-M.jpg

View towards Noke from the B4027
134752400-M.jpg

A great little fellow the DR (but I miss my GS... :tears )
134752308-M.jpg

Quite a nice area we are living in, isn't it? :)
134752230-M.jpg

It was indeed that thumb, and I can almost do :thumb2 with it again! I never knew how many things you need your thumb for - there are a lot of 'em.

I'm hoping to be back in the saddle for the next Thames Valley get-together. Just got to get some clutch-pulling strength in it. Shouldn't take long I reckon :thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2

I never knew how many things you need your thumb for...

There are theories that the thumb made us evolve from ape to human and not necessarily our brains... :augie

There are theories that the thumb made us evolve from ape to human and not necessarily our brains... :augie

Some of us haven't really made it very far... Knew there was a reason I'm fond of bananas.

Brilliant pics,by the way - really like them. :thumb2

Update from Gibraltar today...

135176560-M.jpg

Spot the difference:
135176353-M.jpg

And this one:
135176755-M.jpg

Yes!!! My GS is up and running again! :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1

Thanks to a new lambda probe from NOG and my marvellous personal mechanic :bow my big pig is back on the road!

What a feeling - being a fully-fledged tossess again... :D

P.S. Islip was closed today, sorry...

Thanks to a new lambda probe from NOG and my marvellous personal mechanic :bow my big pig is back on the road!

... and thanks to invaluable advice from Steptoe, I've just found out... :augie

Greatly appreciated, Neil! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom