View RSS Feed

Bungy

Husaberg FX 450 and back into green lanes

Rate this Entry
After a succession of larger adventure bikes and the occasional light green lane experience I really wanted to get back to something nimble and more capable. My last off road orientated bike was a Husky TE510 which although covered ground really well, it did feel a bit of a handful sometimes. After scanning the net and looking at a couple of bikes, some of which were overpriced and in a shocking state I found a Husaberg FX450. I had to do a little research to find out the differences between the FE & FX with the FX being the slightly harder more focussed version both sharing the 70 degree 4 stroke. No cush drive on the rear wheel and no suspension linkage makes for a very direct ride and the engine does feel like it makes a lot of power for a 450 even though I have the variable turned down.
The bike is light and nimble which comes from it's focused design primarily for off road use only but in the past someone had modified mine for road use. Minimal lighting, horn and road registered.
I spent the early part of this year mostly on lanes and the odd run on the TET, the last one being a long day covering considerable distance and working through 3 tanks of fuel, I certainly felt the repercussions of that the next day and Ibuprofen certainly helped, getting old isn't much fun.
My most recent ride out had me looping Salisbury Plain which was hard, dry and dusty and exposed the settings on my suspension as being too hard although it covered ground well and at speed despite the chop from stiff suspension. I've also invested in a trailer as riding longer distances between days out is not fun and the bike is not designed for long hauls on the motorway. The 14/52 gearing and tyres make what is good off road unbearable on road.
My only reservation was the service intervals including the valve clearances which turned out to be surprisingly simple given the 70 degree slant of the engine. This concern has since gone and I'm concentrating on keeping it tip top but also used regularly.
So all in I'm pleased I bought it and look forward to many more days out exploring and I've got my eye on an event to sample an Enduro try/play day and possibly a navigation event or 2 at Sweetlamb.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Got a Berg 390 for green lanes myself. If you fancy a day out in Kent we'll show you around

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

UKGSer is....

"a pernicious environment of toxic hostility" dean0n0 2019

"I have always known this community is full good people even if most of you cover it up with piss n vinegar" Chad 2018

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good" Kaister 2005