Show us your Classic M/C

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided to get my Nortons out on the road today: lovely spring day and all the winter road salt is gone now.
My 2 Rotaries haven't been out since the end of Oct. Both fired up easily and ran like new :D I love these bikes, they have so much character and the engines are so different, the torque is amazing and they are totally vibration free. To think Norton put these engines in a race frame and kicked the japs' arses :cool: I found the one with the fairing in a sorry state last year, it had been left in a damp garage for 4 years. It has an interpol fairing and handle bars which makes it feel really differnt to the naked bike.
Anyone else got their old bikes out of winter storage yet? Heres to a hot summer and lots of m/c miles :beerjug:

Attachments

• rotary.jpg
    rotary.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 6,789
  • classic.jpg
    classic.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 6,771
fairly dreadful phone pic of my old Pervert just before it's MOT a couple of weeks back.

136588435-M.jpg

i even cleaned it :eek:

My 1990 cbr 600fl was brought out of hibernation last week, been there since ealy october. Started as soon as i remembered to turn the fuel tap on :blast

It's not a classic in the true sense, unlike all your bikes :likeit

But i was only 9 when it was first registered, possibly a future classic :nenau

this is it as it is now

cbrredone.jpg

And when i first got it, wheels were chipped, number plate bracket was fooked, as was the fairings. Everything important was good tho.

cbrold.jpg

Just coming up to 35k now :thumb2 Next winter the subfame's coming off for a powdercoat, might do the swingarm and the forks as well. Hell, may as well do the frame :rolleyes:

[edit] Anyone know where i can get some orignal cbr 600fl footpegs from, the originals were worn out :eek:

Love those Norton Rotary's. My CB750 is still in bits. I've just bought 2 more, to be used for spare parts, I'll probably end up with one mint and another as a passable runner and one for scrap.

Bought her new in 1975. Sold my 1973 Commando to this guy on the condition we ride up to Reading on it to fetch the new bike and do the deal there. It pissed down with rain all the way there and back and I was terrified as I had concerns about the Jap rubber tyres on the Z1 - the Norton had Avons on it. Approaching a sharp right bend near Somerton on the way back the poor fella who'd bought the Norton off me lost the back end and down he went. Up to now the Commando had never been dropped and was pristine. Fortunately the damage was limited to a snapped footrest. I kept the original tyres until they wore out - they weren't as bad as most reports made out.

Other bikes have come and gone but 'Humbug' still remains.

Humbug12.jpg

My old girl - under going a little work!

:thumb

Attachments

• DSCN0307-(small).jpg
    DSCN0307-(small).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6,390
And just how many years did you ride it for with the rear indicators on back to front?

My Kettle. Sadly languishing in the back of the garage waiting for me to get the inclination to get it running again... I have a few packing cases of bits but am too fat and lazy to get off my arse and sort it out.

At lease I admit it!

Attachments

• AtRestApr2001a.jpg
    AtRestApr2001a.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6,245
The pipes, front guard and rack really spoil that bike. Get it sorted before the Classic Jap brigade find you.
:D

The rack I made myself as I needed it for going on holiday. But it's now gone and been replaced with the original grab rail you'll be pleased to know.:)

The pipes were bought because they were available at the right price (£150 ISTR). I'd like a set of new originals but they are about £900, but I was never completely sure about them as they did have that ugly seam along the top and bottom. They also caused the original rear mudguard to rot out. The one fitted came from a Z1-R and will never rot. The front was also badly rusted and has a few little dings in it so I had it sprayed until I can afford a replacement - but I don't mind it in black as it suits the rest of the bike.

Cookie,

I know it's not original but I think she still looks pretty. Like your Convert BTW - I know of another one up this way.:thumb2

It also puzzles me why when it comes to buying new bikes we spend the earth on customising/changing them to suit us but when it comes to old bikes we spend another earthly amount on putting them back to original so they look exactly the same as another restored one. Why?:nenau

PS When the anoraks tell me what is wrong about my bike I just tell them it's mine and I can do what I like (especially after 32 years of ownership)!!! :rob (This is not intentioned for Smeggy)! :thumb2

PPS Who the feck are the Classic Jap brigade? ;) :rolleyes:

Ducati Cuciolo (Little Puppy) engine in a BSA frame.
Needs a little work!

Attachments

• DSCN2265a.jpg
    DSCN2265a.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 3,294
It also puzzles me why when it comes to buying new bikes we spend the earth on customising/changing them to suit us but when it comes to old bikes we spend another earthly amount on putting them back to original so they look exactly the same as another restored one. Why?:nenau

i'm quite happy with them having "period mods", that's the way most of them were at the time anyway.

K & Ns, S/S replica Lafranconi Competizione pipes, Braided hoses + home brewed S/S rack too, + the steering damper should be black. i do admit CNC milled, carbon fibre trimmed head protectors quite fall under "period" :D

137188778-M.jpg

even had to replace the shagged rubber brake pipes on the convert recently with braided as originals are NLA :(

Back
Top Bottom