Show us your Classic M/C

It rides surprisingly well. Fairly smooth with top speed about 75-80mph but it’s happy at 60 really. It handles really well and the brakes leave a bit to be desired as you might expect.
This one is a 32DC with the 325cc engine, only about 230 made. It’s similar HP to the 25DC 250 but more low and mid range.

I ran a 1960, back in the day. Sweet bike when it behaved, but mine chewed through pistons when ridden hard.

I always thought the Greeves alloy frame & the 2T with it's long stroke & limited cooling between the pots was the issue; the pistons always picked up in the area between the pots. The problem solved itself largely when the 4T came along a few years later. Mine ended up as a Tri-Greeves cafe racer, with a few Silverstone extras, T90 engine - still out there somewhere but on SORN for the last few years.

It was my fathers bike originally, but when the piston issue emerged, he passed it to me, crafty beggar, & bought himself an immaculate, freshly restored 1956 BMW R26 instead.

It rides surprisingly well. Fairly smooth with top speed about 75-80mph but it’s happy at 60 really. It handles really well and the brakes leave a bit to be desired as you might expect.
This one is a 32DC with the 325cc engine, only about 230 made. It’s similar HP to the 25DC 250 but more low and mid range.

Which one was the starmaker Sherpa; the 2T or the 4T?

Which one was the starmaker Sherpa; the 2T or the 4T?

Neither. The 2T & 4T were Villiers parallel twins, standard fare across a whole host of manufacturers - Cotton, RE, DOT, to name a few. Long stroke road going smokers. They chatter away strangely at tick-over, but are a very smooth motor once underway. Not easily modded/tuned though, so best left STD. The inlet manifold could sometimes develop a hairline crack underneath (out of sight) as it served two separate cylinder barrels. Oh, & the Villiers carb was a bit crap too, hence a few may have a concentric or Jap carb on a modified manifold.

The Starmaker was a big fin single 2-stroke competition engine.

Neither, 2T and 4T were twin cylinder, the Starmaker was a single. :thumb

Neither. The 2T & 4T were Villiers parallel twins, standard fare across a whole host of manufacturers - Cotton, RE, DOT, to name a few. Long stroke road going smokers. They chatter away strangely at tick-over, but are a very smooth motor once underway. Not easily modded/tuned though, so best left STD. The inlet manifold could sometimes develop a hairline crack underneath (out of sight) as it served two separate cylinder barrels. Oh, & the Villiers carb was a bit crap too, hence a few may have a concentric or Jap carb on a modified manifold.

The Starmaker was a big fin single 2-stroke competition engine.

The Starmaker was a single cyl competition engine. Various manufacturers used it but it wasn’t massively successful. The 2T, 3T and 4T were all 2stroke twins also used by a number of manufacturers

Thanks for all the replies. Would it have been the engine in the Crosser; Griffin.

Thanks for all the replies. Would it have been the engine in the Crosser; Griffin.

No, the Griffon engine was Greeves own which was a continuation/development from the 'Challenger' motocross which appeared in 1964. Greeves made the cylinder and crankcases and Alpha made the crankshaft. The magneto was a Stefa, clutch and gearbox was made by Albion.

No, the Griffon engine was Greeves own which was a continuation/development from the 'Challenger' motocross which appeared in 1964. Greeves made the cylinder and crankcases and Alpha made the crankshaft. The magneto was a Stefa, clutch and gearbox was made by Albion.

Clutch and gearbox by Albion; there's some good old names rolling out now Sherpa.:beerjug:

Velosolex S3800

Bought this from Magwa of this parish a couple of years ago. Only just got round to registering it. Not really done anything to it as Magwa had got it looking nice. Just going to use it for pootling around the village.

Attachments

• Velosolex.jpg
    Velosolex.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 622
Bought this from Magwa of this parish a couple of years ago. Only just got round to registering it. Not really done anything to it as Magwa had got it looking nice. Just going to use it for pootling around the village.

As found ......
s-l1600-29.jpg

funny as fook to ride ;)
:thumb

But good enough for mcqueen ;)
14212032_1292218770790570_3796706792132499868_n.jpg

My 1967 TR6 restored by me from a basket case

Attachments

• IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 448
Not mine, but I really liked this (and the little Guzzi posted in the Guzzi thread) at the Lincoln steam rally on Sunday. The mud scraper on the front wheel is cool.

Ariel.jpg

Rd250 and 500lc

Attachments

• 83F2730B-0685-4408-82A9-B2FF55A1F730.jpg
    83F2730B-0685-4408-82A9-B2FF55A1F730.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 646
  • 337A1841-D25A-4215-938D-CD254F75A5DA.jpg
    337A1841-D25A-4215-938D-CD254F75A5DA.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 694
Norton P11

I bought this a few years back, rode it 50 miles, was mightily impressed and haven't ridden it since. The gent I got it off fitted high compression pistons which might have been worthwhile when it was originally raced but just makes starting a pain in the arse and will probably knock the crank out in record time.
This winter will be used to replace the pistons (and probably balance the engine) clean or buy new carbs and see what can be done to stop it wet sumping when its been parked for a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 534
I bought this a few years back, rode it 50 miles, was mightily impressed and haven't ridden it since. The gent I got it off fitted high compression pistons which might have been worthwhile when it was originally raced but just makes starting a pain in the arse and will probably knock the crank out in record time.
This winter will be used to replace the pistons (and probably balance the engine) clean or buy new carbs and see what can be done to stop it wet sumping when its been parked for a couple of weeks.

Ok, stupid question. But what is it ?

Back
Top Bottom