Show us your Classic M/C

Very nice........:thumb

Be careful what you do about the wet sumping,there are a few things out there but many engine failures have been caused by them so I’ve read.The valve they often use has a spring and ball bearing which can end up sticking and cutting off the oil flow. Just drain it and pour the oil back into the tank if it’s left for a few weeks.:thumb

Ok, stupid question. But what is it ?

1967 Norton P11 desert racer. Basically a Matchless competition frame with a 750 Norton engine slotted in for the American sand racers.

Very nice........:thumb

Be careful what you do about the wet sumping,there are a few things out there but many engine failures have been caused by them so I’ve read.The valve they often use has a spring and ball bearing which can end up sticking and cutting off the oil flow. Just drain it and pour the oil back into the tank if it’s left for a few weeks.:thumb

My Pal has a vintage BSA that wet sumps. He has a drain point on the crank case and lets the oil flow out and as Johno says above pours it back into the oil tank. Last time I saw it , it had about 100mls of oil in the tray. I too have heard of people fitting a manual valve in line to stop wet sumping. You only ever forget to open it once!

1967 Norton P11 desert racer. Basically a Matchless competition frame with a 750 Norton engine slotted in for the American sand racers.

Matchless did a short run, about 200,with the same engine/frame set-up. It was firmly pitched like the P11 at the US desert racer market & was known as the G15/45. The idea evolved due to many riders thinking the G12 650cc motor was too frail for competition use, so they fitted the Norton engine to make sure owners could enjoy those vibes to the full. A mixed blessing, rather like the automatic wet sumping valves - a manual valve works well, if you can trust yourself.

I thought the ball bearing/spring arrangement was standard fitment on most British bikes and the wet sumping was as a result of the spring weakening over time?? Sounds like scope for a solenoid valve, at least for bikes with coil ignition.

I thought the ball bearing/spring arrangement was standard fitment on most British bikes and the wet sumping was as a result of the spring weakening over time?? Sounds like scope for a solenoid valve, at least for bikes with coil ignition.

On the older Harleys it was caused by the ball bearing not seating fully and the oil would weep past over time. Normally not an issue if they were used regularly.

Got a new addition to the garage today.............do you know what it is?:D

Attachments

• 072070B2-2817-4BD6-8849-BF0E13211189.jpeg
    072070B2-2817-4BD6-8849-BF0E13211189.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 369
It could be that the oil pump needs a bit of care. The back plate can end up with wear from the pump gears. A bit of gentle lapping in of the plate and pump body often sorts it.

It is actually better in real life than in these pics which are taken from the ad. Picking it up later this week so will get some better ones.

Is that a K3? The CB175 was a much better bike than the horrible CB200.

Continuing the slushbox theme, the 750 Hondamatic has joined the Guzzi Convert and 400 Hondamatic… :)

Attachments

• cb 750 slush 1.jpg
    cb 750 slush 1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 348
  • cb 750 slush.jpg
    cb 750 slush.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 334

Back
Top Bottom