buying used - better/worse years?

al128

Hi there,

folks, I am pretty new to the BMW world here :thedummy

Since my funds dont allow for a new GS, I'll have to settle for a used one...

Now my Q: for the GS1100/1150 - are there any better or "not so good" years? ... I gather BMW made some changes in between to rectify problem zones ...

... so are there any more desirable years?

It looks like I can get my dirty hands on a 2000 GS1100 w/ low milage...

what are BMW-specific things to look out when buying used?

thx again, I appreciate the time and input!

cheers :beerjug:
Al

Hi Al.I dont think any year was a bad year for the 1150s (unlike the 1200s:augie ).Just a few changes made along the way.Mines a 2000 1150 and its got 55000 miles on it now.Single spark and non sevo ABS:thumb .The only real problem i've had in the past 6 years is a broken wire to the ignition switch last weekend.Fixed within an hour thanks to info from this forum.:clap
I'd buy another one tomorrow if i had to.
Col.

Twin spark and non-servo ABS is the best of the 1150's IMHO.

"Changes" are usually "improvements" so if I was you I'd look for the latest 1100 / 1150, but see the bit above about 1150's ;)

where the 1100's are concerned up to 97 they had gearbox issues, the 95 1100 had a plastic tank that will blister in the sunlight, seems mainly an issue in the USA. look out for graphics on tanks to define genuine year, there are 95 bikes sold in 96 etc etc. if i remember rightly they got the gearbox right in 97 and some say the 98 was the best 1100 to buy, me i have a 2000 1100 one of the last i beleieve and its a cracker. the 1100's are a little cheaper to buy too. which to me would suggest the 1150 is the better bike.

Twin spark and non-servo ABS is the best of the 1150's

Might be wrong but to my knowledge, this combination was never available. Twin sparks (2003 on I think) all had servos if ABS was fitted. Servos were never fitted to non ABS bikes.

"Changes" are usually "improvements" so if I was you I'd look for the latest 1100 / 1150, but see the bit above about 1150's ;)[/QUOTE]
I have had, over a period of thirty years, 8 BMW"s and during that period I have seen a steady and continuous improvement. Obviously there have been certain problems with certain models - but I still believe that the BMW service network is pretty good and I cannot think of any model which was so bad it could not be sorted out. Have I been lucky? Five of mine were bought secondhand but only after a very thorough check of their whole service record; none gave me any real problems, even as the eigth owner of a 13 year old R100RS; Now I have a 1200GS which has done 13000 kms and feels like new, only smoother. It replaced a pristine 1150GS and was an extravagant trade in that I have never regretted!

Back
Top Bottom