BMW Off Road Course - TIPS!

JimboGSA

Reaction score
Feel free to add to these guys but my 2 penneth worth for anyone doing the courses with BMW this year:

1. Wear lightweight kit as anything heavy duty gets hot quick. the rallye 2 kit with the goretex taken out is fine, with a waterproof kagule type jacket over the top.

2. Try to get the feel and understand where they are coming from with the front brake locking and rear brake locking exercises as these come in extremely useful when out on the steep hills. Most of the cock ups and drops/crashes i saw were down to the brakes locking up on hills and people not releasing the brakes to get back control. drop it into first, let the clutch out and rely on engine braking if in doubt as the bike wont go any faster than walking pace then. Use of the brakes should be gradual and controlled, gradual pressure, smack them on and you'll lock up.

3. Take every obstacle at your own pace! experience levels really vary in the groups so go at the speed you are happy with.

4. try to get used to riding with 2 fingers over the brakes and clutch at all times, hard to get used to after being a road rider but essential as being able to kill that clutch and therefore the power instantly will save your bacon quickly!

5. take a few of those harvestime snack/energy bars and stick them in where the tool tray goes. lunch is light and minimal and you'll use energy quickly, drink plenty of water too, i.e. fit the camel pack into your rallye 2 jacket.

6. don't forget your paper part to the licence!

7. Decent enduro type boots are vital! someone dropped there 650 on my ankle on a hill and me, bike and boot all slid down the hill! Only damage done was a knackered boot clasp and a scuffed up 650!

8. Take it easy on day 1 getting to the facility, theres about 30 bikes all heading up there and the excitement/temptation to follow the crowd sets in, take it at your own pace, its a bike you dont know and terrain you arent used to. One guy came off on tarmac on the way to the facility and that basically ruined his two days, he wasnt happy. Another guy nearly broke his collar bone, again on the tarmac section between the off road bits!!!!

9. If in doubt do it again thats why you are there! i.e. picking up the bike, the failed hill climb, braking exercises etc, push yourself and you'll learn more!

Nice list there - thanks.

I have just bouyght one of those camel back rucksacks from Lidls for £9:thumb2

I am however stuggling to get some Moto-x boots that will go over my calves. I tried on a pair of the BMW GS1 boots but the clasps don't even meet up:eek: The must have skinny legs the Germans or I can't work out how to adjust them.

I used to have Sidi Enduro boots but threw them out last year as I never used them:(

Did you use the new G-series 650??

Have Fun

AndyT

when your riding about in the site do look when you come to junctions cos there's locals that are travelling at light speed and can pop out of the blue and frighten the hell out of you!

There was a head on when I was there, did not do much damage but it put the sh*ts up everyone...

Learn to ride a bit before you go on the course:rolleyes:

Did you use the new G-series 650??

I was on a 1200 GS but we got the chance to have a go on the 650 x challenges and they are a great little bike, found it strange after the effortless power of the 1200 and you have to work the 650 more, all good though!

Just a couple:

1) Don't drink any beer at the Abercrave, it'll destroy any balance you thought you had for day two :blast

2) Drive down .... you'll be far to tired after day two to ride back home - or stay an extra night and disregard (1) :Motomartin

Hmmm .... I'm on a 650X next month ...... going to be ..... interesting.

J

Thanks too

Hi,
Doing the course in August, I had heard some of the advice before from a dealer but v.useful thread. I will be visiting Lidl on the way home for a camel back!

Thanks to all the contributors:beerjug:

Neil

actually doing the course next weekend. just got the new MX boots for it. Ouch, bank manager is going to have a fit especially on top of the new GSA last friday.
Anyone else going next weekend?

Hire of kit

I did the course this weekend just gone - excellent fun!!
Don't forget you can hire the kit from them if you don't intend to do much off road in the future and want to avoid the expense of purchase.

Charlie Boorman turned up for the meal on Friday night and was riding with us on the Saturday part of the course.

Another tip.....watch out for an unmarked black Police Volvo on the road section between the forest and base.

Am going the weekend after next 14th / 15th April - I have booked a 12GS on the basis that it is close to what I ride, however the more I read about the course, the more I wonder if that was the right choice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on body armour - a good / bad thing? - I mean the MX stuff, not the squidgy stuff that goes in your jacket / trousers ?

Great post - doing the course end of next month with my brother and am rather apprehensive about it, I must confess.

There's a place going if anyone wants it as Mrs J has backed out. :( PM me if interested. 27th & 28th May - Sunday and Monday of the BH W/E.

J

Pavey
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-17.jpg

Me
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-16.jpg

Nick Sanders
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-15.jpg

Salty
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-14.jpg

Richard Sutton
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-13.jpg

?
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-12.jpg

Richard surviving the "wall of death"...just
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-11.jpg

The wall of death
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-10.jpg

Some of the gang
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-9.jpg

Lindz and Laura
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-8.jpg

Most of the gang
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-7.jpg

The "hardcore" gang
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-6.jpg

The bigger, badder taller wall of death
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-5.jpg

Me!
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-3.jpg

And of course, the only one to get stopped by the coppers...
BMWOffroadskillslevel1-BreconBea-1.jpg

Great photos Chris!! great few days and I've certainly learnt loads from it!

Am going the weekend after next 14th / 15th April - I have booked a 12GS on the basis that it is close to what I ride, however the more I read about the course, the more I wonder if that was the right choice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on body armour - a good / bad thing? - I mean the MX stuff, not the squidgy stuff that goes in your jacket / trousers ?

Don't be mate, the 1200 is the tool for the job as they don't put you through much technical stuff, and alot of it is lovely fire road type conditions enough to get the 1200 upto a decent speed and leave the rest in a cloud of dust!

I wore the MX type body armour under a thin outer layer, perfect for the job. Wouldnt have done it wothout that.

Great post - doing the course end of next month with my brother and am rather apprehensive about it, I must confess.

There's a place going if anyone wants it as Mrs J has backed out. :( PM me if interested. 27th & 28th May - Sunday and Monday of the BH W/E.

J

ooo thats tempting! and thats my birthday weekend too!! I'll PM you mate! Also doing the HP2 day down there on the 26th so that'd make it a nice long weekend!

don't go so fast and you won't need armour that said I went reasonably slow and caught the handle bars straight in the chest on a fall and "*uck did that hurt!" Bruise the size of cornflake packet all down one side!

Just after that I fell off a broke my hand NICE way to finish the day off I thought!

This was all on second day I blame the 10 pints of wife beater at the dinner.... for suspect balance skills.

I'd also recommend taking some industrial strength pain killers, we were all popping them like smarties on the morning of day 2, riding a bike off road uses different muscles and the area around my kidneys still aches, looking for some body aromour that covers this area now.

Don't be mate, the 1200 is the tool for the job as they don't put you through much technical stuff, and alot of it is lovely fire road type conditions enough to get the 1200 upto a decent speed and leave the rest in a cloud of dust!

+1 :thumb2

I normally ride a 650 Dakar and have only had short test ride on the 12 prior to the course so I was a little daunted by it, but I have to say that it was great! The 12 is so balanced and loads of torque on tap to get you out of those situations where you should've carrying more speed! Also for the occasional roost on the fire trails :augie

Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom