The Long Way Down on the Road of Stones

Mmmmmm.

I think ze chermans do have a sense of humour.When they named the machine Gelande strasse I dont think they really wanted us to take a quarter of a tonne of motorcycle off road , well only occasionally onto the pavement .

;)

Well done Snoot....

pleased to see I'm not the only Gs er that gets into trouble. But hey ? What a Great Day. You won't forget that one in a Hurry!! Well done .
BIGJim Tasmania.:thumb

Looks alright to me - cant see what you were worried about. Just slap it in first and control it with engine braking surely :p

yeah - turn the abs off, arse out over the back,foot over the rear brake.

home in time for tea and a smoked kipper :) :cool:

admit it - you're getting too old for all this :D

There is nothing in any of the pix that would be a Problem,

For a Mountain Goat !! "Well Done for Surviving" seems to be not enough.

I had a similar experience taking a ZX9R down the "Back Road" from Windy Corner on the Isle of Man.!!

Yes Allt Y Badi is routed on GPS and a rather special lane
We must have come down just after you had gone as we arrived at the Hand at 7:30, so help was on its way. Mind you there was only Jonny Boxer, on his rather special airhead, that was on a GS.
Well down for getting down in one piece, Snoopy went over the handle bars of his DRZ:eek: but he was ok. I think that it will be a while before you forget this experience, how about going on a Timpo ride out next year:green gri

I can concur it was an arse of a lane and you were brave to attempt on a big GS

I was already knackered and struggled on this descent and didn't manage to stay feet-up on this one, although I didn't fall off......there was plenty of 'footing' to save the bike's blushes and costly repair bills:p

Hats off to you Mike :beerjug:

I came down that at 30 trying to keep up with Timpo. The wheel hit one of those big boulder thingys and sent me over. :D

Your photo's don't do it any justice - I had trouble slowing down. Well done. :thumb2

Looks like a cracking good do down there,was had.Terrain & yon climbs & descents looks easily do able.Just a shame,sorting out back garden prevented me attending,my ktm 990S is whimpering away in garage.Looks like like we,ll get hardcore yorkshire possi down there shortly.:thumb2 ;)

Someone should invent a term for that feeling you get when you realise the track which started out fine is now descending into a rocky abyss and there is no way to turn back.
Happened to me on the Isle of Man 2 years ago. (and that was on a trials bike)

Nice pictures.
Next time your anywhere near Exmoor give me a shout and I'll point you in the direction of Stoney Lane near Exford, its a total nightmare that'll I'll never try again.

Trippy, I was on Exmoor last weekend staying with some friends (Simon and Alison) who have an old mill on the river on the A396. A bunch of camped on their land and went for a ride out on Saturday in the pouring rain. Simon led us on the ride all round the coast and narrow country lanes in atrocious conditions. We were the oddest and most inappropriate collection of bikes you could imagine given the rain, mud, manure, gravel, potholes and generally awful state of the roads. There was a K1200RS, a HD Fatboy with apehangers:ymca, a HD Night Train, Kwak ZX10R, Fireblade, me on the K1200LT, Trumpet Daytona 600 and a solitary 1200GS - the only bike suited to the roads! We went to Porlock, Watchet, Lynmouth and went down one lane that was a dead end with a ford and a footbridge made out of large flat stones. We did just over 100 miles in 6 hours (with stops) and luckily there were no mishaps. As well as the rain we had to contend with thick fog on one of the higher sections; I hope to go back and do the ride again in decent weather as I'm sure there was some lovely scenery out there but we just couldn't see it due to the weather.

Allt Y Badi TRO.

Hello Folks.
Due to maintenance work required, the Allt Y Badi has had an 18 month TRO imposed.
Resurfacing and drainage repairs are in the scope of works.
There is a pressure group of NIMBYs leaning on Denbighshire County Council to close this ancient route.

Please feel free to contact the Highways Dept of Denbighshire County Council, asking them about the repairs, the length of time of the TRO and your interest in the reopening of the route as a County Road.

highways@denbighshire.gov.uk

There must be at least a hundred riders on this site that have used this lane, please help to preserve it's status on the map.

Thanks.:thumb2

Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom