Harley 1200 sportser any good?

jaber

Reaction score
:ymca Just been offered a 2000 reg aniversary 1200 sportster 1.900 miles one owner from new, but are they any good, I am very tempted, what dus reckon

Steve

Took a mate's 1200 sportster out a few years ago. He had straight through pipes on it. I have no affection for HD's as a rule but I have to admit I rather liked it. The riding position and the noise made me feel a bit 'bad' in a way no other bike has, and that was in spite of it's serious limitations.

They have no ground clearance, I had the pegs down in about two or three bends, and they have no speed whatsoever. But they have torque, and will pull you up to what feels like fast quite quickly.

I came off it thinking I'd love to spend some more time with it, but with no particular place to go, if that makes sense. Maybe that's the Harley thing?

Good Town/posing bike ,breathless out on the open road ,handle well for a Harley ,chuckable unlike the Big Twins .loved my old Fat Boy:thumb2 :ymca

Noticeably weaker all round than the current model, and that had no ground clearance.

....a nice, basic, really simple motorbike........if that sort of thing "rocks your boat" buy it.....

I'm currently running an '06 XL1200R Sportster, this has the rubber mounted engine that was introduced about 2004 so I am reasonably isolated from the vibration. The 2000 model you mention will be a far harsher ride because of this. However if you are prepared to put up with said vibes the 1200 Sporty is a nice bike.
They are very easy and cheap to maintain and generally reliable, and parts are easily available. Nice torquey motor, pretty quick accelleration up to about 90mph, and the handling is pretty good considering. Many people including me usually fit the stage 1 tuning kit to free up an extra 7-10hp, makes a big difference (K+N air filter, rejet carb, free flow exhaust/silencers)
I usually use mine for fairly local stuff and use my GS for 2 up, and touring and long distance work. That said I covered best part of 1500 miles on the Sporty last summer touring northern Scotland over a few days. Averaged over 55mpg, and was well suited to the highland roads. Like BMWs I think Harleys are an aquired taste, this is my second HD since 1999, and I really like them.
They are not everyones cup of tea, and I've found the biggest critics of them are usually people who have never ridden one or only covered a few miles on them. Like the GS, be prepared to spend money on bits and pieces for it, it becomes addictive. Read the book 'Hog Fever' by Richard La Plante you'll see what I mean.

In my experience if you really want a Harley you will know which model you want. As a taster the sportster is a good start, but the stats show that most new sportster owners end up part exing for a bigger engined Harley within 3 years. Be warned they may be simple and amenable to self maitenance, but the accessories available and prices charged can make the habit very exoensive to sustain. All said I love my lowrider. Couldn't manage with it as my only bike, but for warm summer days and lazy riding it makes perfect sense.

Read the book 'Hog Fever' by Richard La Plante you'll see what I mean.

I've read that book...superb.
Oh and I also do like Harleys and have ridden a few sportsters and always enjoyed them - they're just a bit too small for me and the bigguns are just a bit too much £££ :(

Have a ride on one, if you're open-minded you'll like 'em :)

:ymca Just been offered a 2000 reg aniversary 1200 sportster 1.900 miles one owner from new, but are they any good, I am very tempted, what dus reckon

Steve

Fancy one of them myself. Bonus with it being a Harley if you decide you dont like it you'll always get your money back.

1200s handle better than the bigger engined Harleys, but don't IMO look as good. If you could afford it, the newer 1200 is a lot better.

The vintage that you're thinking of buying was a let down, I'd read all about the low down grunt, but it wasn't there. But, the later one was a lot,lot better. Visit your local :ymca dealer, they're very good at letting people out for test rides, then you'll see what I mean. Although as with everything in life, this all comes at a price, which may be toooooooooooooooo much.

A Sportster is made to be shit so that you will spend more money on the brand in a year or so, it is a carrot to get more money from you.
However having said that, if you like it buy it....It`s your money and your choice.

Nice bike as long as you don't cover it in glitzy crap. I bought one new and did 16k in the first year. If you sort the forks out and fit decent shocks on the rear they handle quite well.

Nice bikes but:

Non rubber mounts vibrate like feck
Small fuel tank will drive you and mates you're riding with mad
Shocks and brakes are only average and need sorting
Plus they're tiny and if you're anywhere approaching 6 foot you'll look like a pig on a tricycle!

Sorry, I fear I may have stumbled in to the blue oyster ber by mistake :blast :eek:

I'll get me coat, and leave walking backwards :augie

Back
Top Bottom