Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Freight - UK to Argentina

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Air Freight - UK to Argentina

... Anybody got any recommendations for air freighting a GS to South America, Buenos Aires specifically.

... Tried e-mailing James Cargo, they can't even be bothered to reply
    “Every man who dreams has a screw loose. Awarding them that screw will not make them sane.
    On the contrary, it will prevent them from losing that bright madness of which they are proud."

Benito Quinquela Martin

taslehoff

INFO

Try Mark Reid @ Cargo Insurance Services mate.

Tell +44 (0)7771 895118.

Met the bloke in a pub in Tumbridge, seemed like i good bloke and very helpfull about freight and bikes. Think he is the Director.

Good Luck
    Last edited by taslehoff; 17-05-07 at 15:51. Reason: yup spelling again

taslehoff

Further info

That last number was his Mob this one is the office Tell 0161 498 4908

Fax 0870 756 7441

Cargo Insurance Service
    Room 11
    Building 308
    World Freight Terminal
    Manchester International Airport
    Manchester
    M90 5PZ

Last edited by taslehoff; 17-05-07 at 15:49. Reason: crap spelling

all freight companies are a law unto themselves on time keeping...

James cargo are good always best to phone them up, we use Rocket Cargo in Egham very good, very expensive however but very good...

... Thanks for the information. I'm wary of the 'law unto themselves' comment about shippers, I would like to see 'The Prawn' and I re-united safely and reasonably promptly in Buenos Aires. But hey-ho a day or three won't make a lot of difference.

... Keep it coming Tossers!

... John
    “Every man who dreams has a screw loose. Awarding them that screw will not make them sane.
    On the contrary, it will prevent them from losing that bright madness of which they are proud."

Benito Quinquela Martin

Hi John

I used Jardine Logistics when I went in '03. They were very good.

Regards, Mick

Roly

Packing and shipping

Hi Bede,
    Shipping bikes no problems as we ship boats in boxes etc all over the world and have a friendly shipper (Premier Shipping and Packing) www.psap.co.uk
    would be good to meet up in November as planning to arrive some time then
    and then go down to Terria del fuego and Patagonia then up though Chile
    My first worry will be clearing customs and not speaking Spanish!
    Regards
    Roly

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    No personal experience but know a few who've air frieghted their bikes over.

Don't get a return ticket. Cheaper getting airfrieght back from south america than going. A lot cheaper.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    No personal experience but know a few who've air frieghted their bikes over.

Don't get a return ticket. Cheaper getting airfrieght back from south america than going. A lot cheaper.
    ... Sage advice and very welcome

... TBH I might try and sell it down here, I can probably add $2000 to the UK resale value, then buy another bike when I get back to the UK (Or I'll leave the GS in Argie while I pay a flying visit back to blighty, if I'm coming back here next year too!)

... One quote, air-freight from the UK £1750 one way to Buenos Aires (and it has to be BsAs). I won't name and shame until they've had a chance to 're-work' the price, I think they've included crating with screen, bars, mirrors, top-box and panniers all in place.

... Roly - I'll let you know what I know, when I know it. There is supposed to be a Horizons Unlimited gathering early-mid december in Viedma, Argentina, which is between BsAs and Tierra Del Fuego if you're route planning. I'm going to be 'skirmishing' from a base () in BsAs rather than touring the whole continent.

Anyways, anywheres it will be good to greet a fellow tosser on the road in Sarf America - John

P.S. - I did call in on Cordasco Motohaus, BMW main dealer in BsAs. They have a reasonable BWM oriented workshop and I spoke briefly with the after-sales service manager Large Brendan-Finnen (don't ask!), he speaks some English.

I haven't looked at costs yet, but it might be economically advatageous to 're-pack' the bike in an original BWM factory carton (depends on shipping volume/weight equation) and then re-build it locally. Cordasco will not collect bikes from the airport, because they get accused of duty-jumping, but given Cordasco's £20 per hour labour charge it might be easier to just truck the carton from the airport to their shop and leave them to it.

... www.cordasco.bmw.com.ar

... Cordasco Motohaus SA, JA Cabrera 3698 (C1186AR), Capital Federal, Buenos Aires +54 11 4866 5727

Benito Quinquela Martin

Quote Originally Posted by The Bede View Post
    ... TBH I might try and sell it down here, I can probably add $2000 to the UK resale value, then buy another bike when I get back to the UK (Or I'll leave the GS in Argie while I pay a flying visit back to blighty, if I'm coming back here next year too!)
    Hi Bede...
    Values of all imported bikes here in Argentina are higher than UK but...

Beware...

Currently an individual cannot, without prior authorisation from Customs, permanantly import a used MC into Argentina.
    (If permission is obtained, permanent imports are possible but the import duty will be 100% plus other charges,)

Bikes to use here are therefore brought in on a temporary importation basis which is typically valid for 3 months.
    This can be 'renewed' by an overnight trip to Chile or Paraguay though.
    Your shippers in BsAs may have more detailed info...

As usual, research beforehand and a good shipping agent avoids grief at customs...
    DAMHIK!!

Good luck!
    Charlie

PS:
    Just remembered, Warthog air freighted his 1150 down to BsAs last November so he may be along with a few thoughts. I'll post his blog if I can find it...

and here it is...
    http://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Uni...log-89809.html
    Previously... '79 R60/7, '84 R80 mono, '93 R100R, '84 R80 G/S, '95 R1100R, '97 R1100RT-P, '88 R100 mono... '99 R1100R.
    and now a '45 Willys MB... -

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Hi Bede...
    Values of all imported bikes here in Argentina are higher than UK but...

Beware...

Currently an individual cannot, without prior authorisation from Customs, permanantly import a used MC into Argentina.
    (If permission is obtained, permanent imports are possible but the import duty will be 100% plus other charges,)

Bikes to use here are therefore brought in on a temporary importation basis which is typically valid for 3 months.
    ... Thanks for the heads up Charlie, yes I am loosely aware of the 'official' market requirements

... For my own purposes I'll be spinning in and out of BsAs as required to 'renew' the 90 day permit (Fray Bentos is interesting if you fancy a spin into Uruguay and I have 'family' business in Chile so the Mendoza-Santiago trip is a definite).

... Beyond that ... let's just say I could probably add $4000 if every last 'T' was crossed and 'I' dotted

... Thanks for the link to Warthog's blog.

Benito Quinquela Martin

Brasil

If you come to Brasil give me a bell (005519) - 81862762, or email me on fercasado[at]hotmail[dot]com. Will be glad to help!

As Charlie says, VERY difficult to ´permanent import´ a bike into Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by fcasado View Post
    If you come to Brasil give me a bell (005519) - 81862762, or email me on fercasado[at]hotmail[dot]com. Will be glad to help!

As Charlie says, VERY difficult to ´permanent import´ a bike into Argentina.
    ... Thanks for the contact, not sure if I'll get as far north in Brazil as Campinas (not that your very far north), but plans will change during my stay. It will be good to meet fellow tossers 'on the road.

... I'm very familiar with South America, particularly Mercosur countries, having the GS with me will be a new experience. The permanent 'official' ( ) import situation is difficult and costly into Argentina. But as I don't have a long term visa I'm going to be taking advantage of the 90 'free-pass'. I can get into Uruguay at the Gualeguaychu bridge in three hours by road from BsAs (if it isn't blocked by the Botnia protestors).

Benito Quinquela Martin

A bit off topic, but if you want to get free Mapsource, ROUTABLE maps from Argentina:

There yours!

... Thanks Ton, I'll give it a go

Benito Quinquela Martin

Highly over-excited Bede

... Freight flights booked with James Cargo
    ... Bike delivered and crated Wed 25th July, Colnbrook
    ... Bede delivered and crated Thurs 26th July, Heathrow
    ... Bede uncrated Fri 27th July, BsAs
    ... Bike uncrated Mon 30th/Tues 31st, BsAs

... Just got the IDP, all that's needed now is local insurance when I get there.

... Sincere thanks to all who have offered advice and assistance

... 'Kin aaaaaayyy

Benito Quinquela Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast