Updating to City Navigator V9 on 72xx and BMW Navigator III

davedyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a word of warning so you don't waste as much time as I did this evening.

I installed Mapsource V9 and went on to update my Navigator III (Garmin 7200). After about 1hr 10minutes it finished the update but then came up with 'Update failed' (or similar):anger

I then proceeded to uninstall V8 from my PC thinking that may have caused the upset and then updated the firmware on the unit. The uninstal takes ages as the files are about 1.5GB in size.

I then stumbled across the version details on the sat nav itself: menu>settings>map>Detail Maps

and there it was: City Navigator Europe NTv9. So although it says the update failed, check to see if it has before uninstalling or changing anything.

I encountered a similar problem ("update failed") when I loaded CN NT Europe version 9 onto my Nav III and 2820. I don't know why this 'update failed' message happened. I reported it to software engineering.

By any chance are you using Microsoft Vista as your operating system? I am, and I kinda wonder if that might be the cause of the problem. Vista has some quirks in the power management system that can upset connections to USB devices - I have encountered problems with other USB devices on Vista. Some devices can cope with a momentary interruption (the GPSR can as well), but if an application is running and it is depending on continuous USB access, this is where things get troublesome.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom