Road Runs

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

There will be at least 2 Road Runs on the Saturday at the Gathering of the Clans event.

The Main Run is through the Angus Glens into Royal Deeside (Ballater and Braemar) then over Glenshee in the Scottish Highlands to pick up the road over to Glenisla and back to Glen Clova. This run is about 150 miles and should take about 4.5 hours (inclusive of photo stops/fag breaks and coffee or lunch at Ballater). A photo stop at the Royal Lochnagar distillery might appeal to some whisky drinkers among us.

Depending on numbers here, the Run might be split into two groups. I'll be leading this run with G.C. as a fixed Back Marker.

The additional Main Run (if there is one) will be led by Stumpy assisted by Den as Back Marker. There is a MapSource Route attached for the main run.

For people who don't fancy sitting in the saddle for that amount of time, having travelled a fair old distance the day before and having a return journey home on the Sunday, there'll be a Wee Glens Run from Glen Clova over into the Highlands of Perthshire for a stop off at the smallest distillery in Scotland: Edradour, just outside Pitlochry. This will be within easy riding distance of the hotel but will take in some great wee roads and returning by Glen Isla. There will also be a coffee/lunch stop and plenty of photo/fag stops too. This run will be led by Coolcarbon and assisted by arcboutant. I'm hoping to have this route MapSourced asap. (Edit: See P.S. below)

It seems that an Off-road route isn't possible at this point in time. The last thing we want is a group getting stopped in the middle of nowhere in a "Ger aff my land" scenario.

More details to follow but this is to give people some idea of what to expect.

Ronno

P.S. Here is an idea of where the Wee Glens Run will go and distances/times involved. I've just downloaded it from MapSource. Mike (Coolcarbon) will post up the real deal once he's had a proper run over the route.

Attachments

• Route To Edradour.gdb
    38.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Revised main Run Route.gdb
    43.3 KB · Views: 258
I was planning on coming down from Aberdeen for the runs on the Saturday, what time do you plan to depart for the longish run???

If you need any help with backmarking etc I would be pleased to help out.

I was planning on coming down from Aberdeen for the runs on the Saturday, what time do you plan to depart for the longish run???

If you need any help with backmarking etc I would be pleased to help out.

The runs will leave the Hotel about 11:00 hrs but I'll be posting up definite start times etc.

Thanks for your offer. I'll keep you in mind if we get any call offs from Back Markers.
:thumb2

Not able to get away for the whole weekend, but I'm hoping to get up on Sat morning and join in the Road run.

I was thinking about joinging you chaps/chapesses for the Saturday ride-out, if you'll have me. :hide

Is it a turn up and ride event, or do you need any details up front?

Cheers
Martin...

Ronnie. I downloaded the route maps and put them in my satnav.
When I try to simulate the route, it says the route does not match available maps.
If I make up a route in the same area, it works ok.
Any ideas why this is happening.

When I try to simulate the route, it says the route does not match available maps.

Why ye worrying Den, ye'll have nae bike (if you sell it by then) to attend on anyway....:D

Funnily enough, same thing happened to me today when I tried to have another recce run (using the Quest) with G.C. That message came up when I switched the route on at the Hotel. I thought I'd maybe mucked up re-loading the Scottish maps when I reset my Quest after my recent Germany trip. Maybe not.

Could it be because of Post 3 above? :nenau

I was thinking about joinging you chaps/chapesses for the Saturday ride-out, if you'll have me. :hide

Is it a turn up and ride event, or do you need any details up front?

Cheers
Martin...
Hi Martin,
Full tank of petrol, some patience, knowledge of the ride out system and, as this is your first run with us; it’s traditional that you buy the coffee and scones. :augie
See you Saturday, 15 minutes before the run is due to start for the brief. :thumb2
P.S. I should just point out that the breif is nothing like the one above posted by HRH Oonyack, its a bit bigger.

I've had a look at the routes and the had to recalculate both of them as they seem to have been plotted in different version of City Nav (I'm using version 8)

Theres a problem with the main route. The mapping won't allow a route to stay on the B951 as per the picture below. It takes you round the B954 :nenau

I've attached the recalculated routes, do these still give you the same message?

ScreenShot041.jpg

Attachments

• Gathering of the Clans Routes.gdb
    84.2 KB · Views: 243
MapSource and Glena Clova seem to be reluctant bedmates...:(

Just following the bike in front is probably the easiest way on Saturday.

Not very technical I know...:thumb

MapSource Route Update On 20.06.07

The 2 x routes now attached in Post No. 1 have been done by Grizzly :)thumb2 ) using V7 as opposed to V6 and (hopefully) this will have sorted out this problem.

Ronno

Back
Top Bottom