TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED

BAKERMAN

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I can`t post this until the months end, as cheques need to come in from auction £380 worth and cheques paid out are paid in.

I have worked out cost £5510 thats without LABOUR and DOUGHNUT costs, the costs have raised this year by FRIDAY NIGHT BAND, BIGGER MARQUEE, 2 EXTRA TOILETS, AND THE EXTRA FOOD.

Numbers were about the same maybe a few less, I put this down to it was the BIGGEST weekend of the year for events, ie: British GP also the weather leading up to the event itself.

I do like to over do the food and I did by some 150 friday and 400 saturday, food is the smaller cost to me, I would rather see that you were well fed.

600 doughnuts were used, and £270 worth of fruit, nearly a 1000 plastic tea and coffee cups also.

Bakes

Numbers were about the same maybe a few less, I put this down to it was the BIGGEST weekend of the year for events, ie: British GP also the weather leading up to the event itself.

I can say this now after the event is over so I'm not accused of trying to spoil peoples fun or put them off going.
The reason I and i think a few others didn't go was the PRICE £60... This was IMO sticking the arm in.... two years ago it was £25 and it was great value for money.... last year IIRC £50 and i felt i didn't get much value for money out of that... i got 1 bread roll on the Fri night there was no chili or whatever it was left.. there was bananas i think but i don't do fruit:(
There was also no opportunity to buy hot food anywhere else on site... and the Sat i got a pork Roll a bit of sweetcorn and some crackling, i had to go to Tescos to get something more to eat.. i had expected that there would have been bar food available like at Wayhill the year before.. but sadly not.

Maybe because for me to get to the event and back is over £200 and that's not including paying the £60 for the event weekend itself or any food or drink once there, that i notice the cost more:nenau
But this years price was the straw that broke the camels back when it came to deciding to support the event or not... i would have liked to go... Fanums and Steptoes ride-outs are great but when there are so many events to try and support sadly cost does come into it.

I know I'm not the only person not to attend due to the price... i may be the only one that speaks up about it.. and i may get shot down for saying so:) but it's what I feel.

£60 is well over double the cost of any other GS event that I know of, For next year would you please consider lowering the price and try and get some sort of hot food available for people so they can eat when we want to(a Burger Van or something) and I'm sure you will get a lot more people attending;)

I can say this now after the event is over so I'm not accused of trying to spoil peoples fun or put them off going.
The reason I and i think a few others didn't go was the PRICE £60... This was IMO sticking the arm in.... two years ago it was £25 and it was great value for money.... last year IIRC £50 and i felt i didn't get much value for money out of that... i got 1 bread roll on the Fri night there was no chili or whatever it was left.. there was bananas i think but i don't do fruit:(
There was also no opportunity to buy hot food anywhere else on site... and the Sat i got a pork Roll a bit of sweetcorn and some crackling, i had to go to Tescos to get something more to eat.. i had expected that there would have been bar food available like at Wayhill the year before.. but sadly not.

Maybe because for me to get to the event and back is over £200 and that's not including paying the £60 for the event weekend itself or any food or drink once there, that i notice the cost more:nenau
But this years price was the straw that broke the camels back when it came to deciding to support the event or not... i would have liked to go... Fanums and Steptoes ride-outs are great but when there are so many events to try and support sadly cost does come into it.

I know I'm not the only person not to attend due to the price... i may be the only one that speaks up about it.. and i may get shot down for saying so:) but it's what I feel.

£60 is well over double the cost of any other GS event that I know of, For next year would you please consider lowering the price and try and get some sort of hot food available for people so they can eat when we want to(a Burger Van or something) and I'm sure you will get a lot more people attending;)

It will be interesting to here other peoples comments, on value for money.

As one night in a PREMIER LODGE is £55 +£7.50 for brekfast.

I laid on for £60 two nights music, as many doughnuts as you can eat, camping two nights, food as much as you can eat, fruit as much as you can eat. tea and coffee as much as you can drink.

A guide OFF ROAD with 30 years experiance on Salisbury Plain, 8 traders that don`t have to pay for a pitch, TOILETS, a BAR and SHOWERS.

So please others answer Mr TONEDin`s post as I`m now shaking in anger.:(

P.S as long as I have a hole in my arse I WOULD NEVER HAVE A BURGER VAN !!!!!

Now you have insulted me !

Gary.....
I don't think that £60 for the weekend was alot to pay.....wasn't the event at Rosedale much the same price?...Or maybe I've got that wrong....:nenau
However, as you've quite rightly said, you have to pay at least £200 to get to Andover and home again....and when you take that into consideration, plus additional beer, petrol etc. money, then yes, it would be an expensive few days....:(
However, considering what was laid on by Steve.....IMO,the Hograost was very good value for money.......:bounce1 :clap

P.S......:hug 's to you both!!.....:)

You pays your money and takes your choice.... obviously everyone has their own budget to think about but even with the channel crossing from Belgica I won't miss the next hograost. It's a great weekend and the profits go to a good cause and quite frankly it's a lot cheaper than Christmas and I enjoy it far more so I'll be back for 2008 ! Top weekend Steve - thanks for the hard work and I hope the Gateway Club have a few wonderful days out from the money you raise for them :thumb2 :clap :thumb2

I hadn't really thought much about the price of a ticket as I know its an event thats meant to raise money as opposed to just draw even and as with some events that cost the organizer money.

I can see that it may put some people off from travelling from a long way away but for us its still a cheap weekend being so close.

I thought the numbers were down abit this year but put that down to a few things, the weather leading upto the event, other events like the GP and Tour being on and also there are just so many other GS events to do.

I can only afford to do 4 or 5 events a year due to time and money and pick carefully the ones I know I'll enjoy.

Value for money? Well I never carry any catering stuff and had -

Big friday evening meal of jacket potato, mince, cheese and salad.
Free peaches and bananas ( guess I ate about 4 or 5 )
Free tea and coffee ( guess about 8 cups )
Free doughnuts ( about 8 )
3 pork rolls and a plate of veggie food.
2 nights camping.
Free showers.
6 hour ride on the plain with a guy who knew where he was going.
Music friday and saturday.

And as I said I do think there is a difference between this and a club event which may or may not raise a bit of cash for charity from a raffle in the evening.

Gary.....
I don't think that £60 for the weekend was alot to pay.....wasn't the event at Rosedale much the same price?...Or maybe I've got that wrong....:nenau

Jaq,

You were close, Rosedale was £56.00 for a full weekend camping as a member (and prolly £60 for non-members). Though the events are different in their make up, Hograost has bands to pay for, Rosedale speakers, Hoggie 2 nights camping, 2 nights food, Rosedale 3 nights camping on half board basis.

But as you say it is for the individual to decide what represents good value, and Tuned-in has spoken for himself by saying he believes it was too expensive, let the others speak for themselves and you will get a good idea of what people thought about its value, though it probably helps to have been there to make that judgement.

Good value for money I say. As i said to the Mrs at the time, it's the CHEAPEST and best fun weekend we've had for a long long time. Given the fact that you can spend £120 on a night out, then it puts it in perspective.

Now my own personal reply to Tuned-in's post.

What an incredibly insensitive reply to choose to make - if you had an opinion on the value of the Hograost or why you didn't want to go you should have made it in your own thread.

If I had just spent an exhausting weekend at the end of six months of planning and read this it would have felt like the kick in the bollox it was obviously designed to be.

expensive? for a camping weekend, certainly, but you do get a superbly organised event with food & entertainment laid on. there was more food this year too, i'd say, but i was only there for the saturday night :nenau

i think it's fair to compare the hogroast with rosedale which was similar money. both good value IMO & top events.

pay less, it won't be as good. less toilets, and more importantly, LESS DOUGHNUTS :eek:

It will be interesting to here other peoples comments, on value for money.

As one night in a PREMIER LODGE is £55 +£7.50 for brekfast.

I laid on for £60 two nights music, as many doughnuts as you can eat, camping two nights, food as much as you can eat, fruit as much as you can eat. tea and coffee as much as you can drink.

A guide OFF ROAD with 30 years experiance on Salisbury Plain, 8 traders that don`t have to pay for a pitch, TOILETS, a BAR and SHOWERS.

So please others answer Mr TONEDin`s post as I`m now shaking in anger.:(

P.S as long as I have a hole in my arse I WOULD NEVER HAVE A BURGER VAN !!!!!

Now you have insulted me !

I too take offence at Tuned In's comments. The Hograost is a Private Party to raise money for The Gateway Charity, without Bakes and this incredible GS community it just wouldn't exist.

For £60 we provide
1) two evening meals with ample "snack attack" nibbles of fruit and doughnuts with tea or coffee
2) excellent evening entertainment
3) a safe level camp site with ample toilets and showers
4) numerous ride-outs
5) a bar with flexible hours with drinks at "club" as opposed to "pub" prices
6) bingo on Friday and an interesting talk on Sunday
7) the opportunity to purchase various bling and the chance to win lush prizes

Bakes takes at least six months to organise the Hograost and, being the ultimate sensitive and gentle man he is, suffers in silence numerous periods of angst and planning trauma (although needless to say his wonderful family and those close to him also share this burden). Perhaps your comments would have been better introduced via PM or phone call in the first instance, though I suspect they will form part of some cowardly premeditated multi-pronged attack.

I shall continue to provide large financial sponsorship to this event and am honoured to be The Bakerman's Hograost assistant.

Chris TFT (aka Bakes's Slave)

Last edited:
...a bit of sweetcorn...

Oh dear... did you say sweetcorn...:augie :D

You pay a fortune now-a-days to go to any event (music, motor sports etc) so I really don't think its over the odds for everything thats on offer...:nenau

I would most definitly have been there this year if it hadn't been so close to saving for my birthday trip to the Alps... Ah well... hopefully next year...:thumb

I can only echo what others have said on this thread.

This year we had some friends with us with their two kids (the ones in the massive tent:rolleyes: ), they are non bikers but they had a great time and hope to attend next year too (my mate Alan wants to beat his 9 doughnut record:eek: ).

I did not do the off road events but still found it good value.

I would happily book now for next year, fantastic event.

It is costing me though as I've just booked for the BMW off road course so I can join in, off road next year:blast

Bakes, ignore the negative comments from above :anger , you did a fantastic job and please no burger vans :barf

The reason the event raised so much money is simple...it's all down to me:clap :clap :bow ;)

I had to leave on saturday morning, so for my £60 I had a plate of mince, a jacket potato, cup of tea and doughnut..oh and I camped for one night.

I thank you:)

What an incredibly insensitive reply to choose to make - if you had an opinion on the value of the Hograost or why you didn't want to go you should have made it in your own thread.

If I had just spent an exhausting weekend at the end of six months of planning and read this it would have felt like the kick in the bollox it was obviously designed to be.

Well put Andy:thumb

Well said that man.

There's only one thing that would stop me going next year and that's a f******g Burger Van. Tuned that suggestion is an insult to Bakes', there was no shortage of very good food for anyone this year and I don't recall going hungry last year either.

I used the advance booking via paypal which saved me a fiver or a tenner and used that saving to buy £10 of raffle tickets.
My ten year old came along for free (I would have been prepared to have paid a reduced price for anyway, and if push came to shove would most probably have paid top wack for her).

I met some of the friends I had made last year, and made some new ones this year.
Roll on next year I will be there:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom