Heading up on Thursday. Anyone like to join us?

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

TJW (Trevor), Kline Blumen (Jill) and myself (Val) are heading up to Lumb farm on Thursday 23rd as we are attending the Triumph tour on Friday 24th :p can't wait :thumb

We're in north wiltshire 'Chippenham'ish. If any of you guys from the south or west fancy linking up with us for a steady ride up to the site, We'd be pleased especialy if you just happen to have a GPS with a great route planed ;-)) to have you along. :thumb2

Val.

Val, come on pleeeeeeaaaaaase!

You want to get there?

Plan a route from a map, that GPS stuff will have you in a river, ocean or Japan before you can see the factory.:D

Hi folks,

TJW (Trevor), Kline Blumen (Jill) and myself (Val) are heading up to Lumb farm on Thursday 23rd as we are attending the Triumph tour on Friday 24th :p can't wait :thumb

We're in north wiltshire 'Chippenham'ish. If any of you guys from the south or west fancy linking up with us for a steady ride up to the site, We'd be pleased especialy if you just happen to have a GPS with a great route planed ;-)) to have you along. :thumb2

Val.

Val

Sat nav no problem for the trip if needed. Looks straight forward from Autorout...That is if we want to do the most direct route...ie motorways...

Thursday at Lumb Farm

We will be getting to Lumb Farm Thursday also, however we have a few days free so are heading to a camp site at Chipping Norton (Tue/Wed), them poping up on Thursday (Avoiding the motorways) so we'll see you there if not on the road.(We won't plan to meet up as we don't know what we will be up to yet).

Have a good ride, see you at the camp site, and will tag along on Friday to the Triumph visit..

Dave & Val:beerjug:

We will be getting to Lumb Farm Thursday also, however we have a few days free so are heading to a camp site at Chipping Norton (Tue/Wed), them poping up on Thursday (Avoiding the motorways) so we'll see you there if not on the road.(We won't plan to meet up as we don't know what we will be up to yet).

Have a good ride, see you at the camp site, and will tag along on Friday to the Triumph visit..

Dave & Val:beerjug:

Dave & Val :thumb2 Have a good trip. See you there.

Trevor.

Think of it like this; How many miles have you and I had to do on the motorways in the last ten years?:mmmm

Somthing a little more scenic would be nice.

Val.

Oh and somwhere nice for lunch too ;)

Trevor.

Think of it like this; How many miles have you and I had to do on the motorways in the last ten years?:mmmm

;)

Hi Val

I agree just did the route on the PC last night to get an idea of distance / time. The motorway would be approx 3 hrs. My back tyre is flat enough so I was going to suggest cross country no more than "A" roads.
I will re look at the map and come up with a suggestion or two. What time you looking to leave?

How is this for a route A & B roads approx 4 1/2 hrs?

T

I'll tag along for ride up.:) I finally managed to pre-book at third attempt after my PC kept freezing up on me (it knows how I hate to spend money :))

As we've got all day Thursday to get there it would make sense to take the more interesting route. It might depend a bit on weather.

Last time I was at Ripley for HU meet it rained in biblical proportions for three days. Bar area stays dry so no worries.:D

Sid

I'll tag along for ride up.:) I finally managed to pre-book at third attempt after my PC kept freezing up on me (it knows how I hate to spend money :))

As we've got all day Thursday to get there it would make sense to take the more interesting route. It might depend a bit on weather.

Last time I was at Ripley for HU meet it rained in biblical proportions for three days. Bar area stays dry so no worries.:D

Sid

Good news Sid, glad to have you along.

Anything in mind route-wise?

Val.

Val,the route on the map is pretty good.(before i got banned,:eek:) That is a route from Frome to Nuneaton that i did regularly.Bearing in mind i used to run at 40 MPH max (HGV max on single carriageway),i think that even running up at a comfortable pace from the B.King/Services next to the Golf Club,with full tanks so no fuel stops, will see you round Hinckley in 2 1/2 hours or less.I'll try and think of the names of a couple of suggestions for lunch stops in that area if that ties in with your Timetable.Regards,Dave.

Directions for Thursday...

Right after a chat with Val H I have offered to do the route...more or less as the second map.

Here is the road details...
Directions

A350 from Chippenham
A429 towards Malmesbury right on to B4040 towards Minety
Left on to B4696 towards Ashton Keynes, Left on to A419 / A417 then on to A429.
Follow the A429 / B4455 to A5
Left on to the A5 then right on to the B578 / A5070 towards Hinckley.
Heading North out of Hinckley on the B4109 / A447 towards Stapleton.
Turn Right on to the A511 towards (A42) cross over A42 and then turn right on to the A453 towards Lount.
Turn Left on to the A587 becomes the A514 towards Swarkeston then bear right staying on the A514, cross over the A50 staying on the A514 towards Derby.
Right on to the A601 heading towards the A52, pick up signs for the A61 continue along the A61.
A61& A38 round about follow B6179 towards Little Eaton continue to Lumb Farm, Marehay, and Ripley

That is until I get us lost:blast then it's every man/woman for themselves....:augie

Any suggestions?? Should be a good ride up.

If i may give my 2p's worth,your suggestion up as far as Lount,i can see.
At Lount you turn left onto the B587
Follow through to Swarkestone and here is where i would offer a change.

I would suggest turning left onto the A5132 and going out to Willington.

Turn Right onto B5008 at Willington and run up to island juction with A38/A50 (Toyota Factory is here) Pick up A38 North

Follow A38 North,going round the side of Derby.

After Passing the A6 slip off the A38,you run down to an Island.

If you take the 1st exit off this Island,it is the B6179 which is actually the "old A61".

This road runs alongside the A38 and leads straight to Marehay.

This should take away the potential stress of doing Derby at the end of your Journey,and it only means 15 mins of main A road rather than central Derby.

Revised Directions for Tomorrow

Thanks Dee Tee..

Directions

A350 from Chippenham
A429 towards Malmesbury right on to B4040 towards Minety
Left on to B4696 towards Ashton Keynes, Left on to A419 / A417 then on to A429.
Follow the A429 / B4455 to A5
Left on to the A5 then right on to the B578 / A5070 towards Hinckley.
Heading North out of Hinckley on the B4109 / A447 towards Stapleton.
Turn Right on to the A511 towards (A42) cross over A42 and then turn right on to the A453 towards Lount.
At Swarkeston turn left onto the A5132 to Willington.

At Willington turn Right onto B5008 and run up to the junction with A38/A50 (Toyota Factory is here) Pick up A38 North

Follow A38 North, going round the side of Derby.

After Passing the A6 slip off the A38, you run down to an Island.

If you take the 1st exit off this Island, it is the B6179, which is actually the "old A61".

This road runs alongside the A38 and leads straight to Marehay.

Back
Top Bottom